Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum

Blogging Forum Discuss general blogging issues here - design, integration, posting, trackbacks, ETC. Also discuss blogs you like.

Share |
Old 01-10-2015, 08:11 AM

Exclamation Is it possible to achieve an Alexa rank of 2700 with less than 13000 pageviews a day?

Harsh Agrawal recently posted his annual earning report for the year 2014. In that post he also mentioned that his blog ShoutMeLoud (which is quite popular) got 4,700,971 pageviews in 2014 (he also posted a Google Analytics screenshot). Here is the link to that post-
shoutmeloud.com/2014-blogging-income-report.html (it won't appear as a link since I have not yet posted 20 posts here)

Now 4,700,971 pageviews in a year translates into 4,700,971/365 = 12879 pageviews a day. Current Alexa rank of ShoutMeLoud is 2710.

Is it possible for a website to achieve that Alexa rank with that many pageviews ?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-11-2015, 05:27 AM
Contributing Member

Alexa rank depends on how offen the computers with Alexa toolbar visit this website,so,it's possible to get a good Alexa rank in some way.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qount View Post
Alexa rank depends on how offen the computers with Alexa toolbar visit this website,so,it's possible to get a good Alexa rank in some way.
Most webmasters verify their websites on Alexa by pasting a code provided by Alexa in the source code. (I'm sure Shoutmeloud is also verified, actually its also using Alexa widget). According to Alexa, for verified websites, all the visits (regardless of weather they come from a computer with Alexa toolbar/extension installed or not) contribute to the ranking. Now since most of the websites are verified (at least the popular ones), I don't understand how Shoutmeloud.com is ranked at 2710 with just 12879 page views a day. Someone please clarify this.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:00 AM
Contributing Member

@rajatgaur Alexa rank is not about page views. Its about number unique visitors.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blogdum View Post
@rajatgaur Alexa rank is not about page views. Its about number unique visitors.
Alexa says its about both- Pageviews as well as unique visitors. But still, a website with less than 13000 pageviews a day can not have enough unique visitors to rank at 2710. I thought one needs over 50K pageviews (maybe even 1 M) for that rank.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:02 AM
Contributing Member

Unique visitors carry some weigh while 'returned' visitors is what you should be aiming at. There's no need to worry about Alexa since it will come naturally. And, since your website is pulling in that many visitors, does it even matter how Alexa is ranking you? Just a thought...

Old 01-12-2015, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F75 View Post
Unique visitors carry some weigh while 'returned' visitors is what you should be aiming at. There's no need to worry about Alexa since it will come naturally. And, since your website is pulling in that many visitors, does it even matter how Alexa is ranking you? Just a thought...
First of all, its not my site. Its actually quite a popular blog about blogging (ShoutMeLoud). Many members in this forums know about it. What I want to know is how has the owner of the site (Harsh Agrawal) achieved this rank with that many pageviews ?

Old 01-12-2015, 05:43 AM
Contributing Member

Bcoz.. ShoutMeLoud Is Blogging Niche Blog...
So, Most Of The Visitors Are Bloggers And They Have Alexa Toolbar Installed In Their Browsers

Old 01-12-2015, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samk2824 View Post
Bcoz.. ShoutMeLoud Is Blogging Niche Blog...
So, Most Of The Visitors Are Bloggers And They Have Alexa Toolbar Installed In Their Browsers
But Alexa says that for a website that has installed the code provided by them in its HTML source code, all the visits (regardless of weather Alexa toolbar is installed or not) contribute to the Alexa rank. Since most webmasters verify their websites with Alexa (by pasting the code the provide), that shouldn't make a difference.

And even if we consider that Alexa toolbar does matter, does it make so much difference? I mean, as I've also mentioned earlier, I guess a website should require at least 50K pageviews (if not 1M) a day to achieve that kind of rank. But as per data provided by Harsh Agrawal (which he also supports with a screenshot from G analytics), ShoutMeLoud gets less than 13K pageviews a day.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum