Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum

Blogging Forum Discuss general blogging issues here - design, integration, posting, trackbacks, ETC. Also discuss blogs you like.

Share |
Old 03-05-2016, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

5 Effective Strategies for Recycling Old Content

This is a good strategy and I know one blog owner is constantly updating old blog posts to update outdated information and also checks all the internal links that they go where they supposed to go. Once they make the updates to the blog post and publish it, eventually Google will re-index it with the new published date.

Remember your blog pages/posts get indexed in the search engines and you never know when a old blog post suddenly gets a huge ranking boost, if that content is outdated/bad links you might not capitalize off that visitor who could of joined your subscriber list but the first impression with outdated stuff made them leave.

Forget that I said, just read this blog post. lol

Quote:
If your blog exists in a narrowly defined niche or, is older than most, you will find it extremely difficult to come up with fresh topics every week. Forcing yourself to write about the same things over and over again will lead to frustration, unoriginal content, or worse, writer's block. Sure, writing on other platforms such as medium.com will help you attract more traffic, but there is a better way to prevent your blog from gathering dust.
Continued at: http://www.searchenginepeople.com/bl...e-content.html

Thoughts?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-02-2016, 01:31 AM
Contributing Member

Really helpful post, as i never know this before. Thinking of changing the post dates of my blog posts, so that Google will re-index them Thanks a lot.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webee View Post
Really helpful post, as i never know this before. Thinking of changing the post dates of my blog posts, so that Google will re-index them Thanks a lot.
Some people on this forum may disagree with me and that's ok, let's have a healthy discussion about it.

I did a little tweaking on my blog without using any plugin to change my published dates on my blog posts. Let's say I want to edit one because I found many grammar mistakes (really, I do this often). When I hit publish or save post, the blog post date on the blog post itself changes to today's date.

I think visitors landing on blog posts they found on Google will actually read the blog post because the published date isn't from 2 years ago and they may think it's a recent post with not outdated data. lol

Actually I remember way back about some blog posts from a few blogs about this. I'll share this here so we now have 3 good blog posts to read in this thread or just discuss about.

Blog post below is why you should edit old blog posts.
http://www.shoutmeloud.com/blogging-...log-posts.html

The blog post below has 10 simple reason's.
http://www.searchenginepeople.com/bl...log-posts.html

Old 04-03-2016, 09:53 PM

Cool Old dates?

This is actually really interesting, not considered it before. However, would it not be weird for new users to not find a history of blog posts and all with quite new dates? My website/blog is very new so I dont have that issue yet... How often would you update 'old' blog posts?

Old 04-04-2016, 05:15 AM
Banned

Nice, Interesting and thanks for the idea. . But I am not satisfied by doing this. Not an honest way I suppose. Instead of updating publish date, We might update the post and publish it accordingly. Thanks for the post. Cheers

Old 04-26-2016, 01:01 PM

This is a cool idea. Call me short-sighted, but I never even thought about re-using my content, especially older posts that we popular.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:30 AM
Contributing Member

yeah, its true am agree with Snakeair, for one of my post i often used to do it as the content on that pages updates monthly. After reading this post i came to know why i get into that position after long time.
Because when i published that post it was on 1 rank in 2 month later on it drop down, went upto 3rd page. When i started to update it again and again i realize its hike up.

By the way, now its 4th position on 1st page :-)

Old 04-29-2016, 08:33 AM

I believe that you need to add a certain amount of text for the blog post to be considered updated? Anyone knows more details?

I think adding an image also counts as an update.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:05 AM

For clarity purpose, does recycling old post applicable to time bound post?

Old 06-08-2016, 04:49 PM

2 times a week, I find a very old blog post and make sure if things changed a little... then I update the screenshots and rewrite the blog post. Also I tell my social media followers about why it was updated.

For me, I always update old content sometime during the year.

Old 06-25-2016, 03:19 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggedup View Post
This is a cool idea. Call me short-sighted, but I never even thought about re-using my content, especially older posts that we popular.
Completely agree - i'm thinking about amalgamating old content on my blog into newer lists. Condensed TL: DR type posts, easy way of repurposing old stuff in a new way

Old 06-26-2016, 10:32 AM
Contributing Member

I will yet have to try this strategy for my content rich website. Indeed updating articles is a very clever way to boost rank.

Old 06-26-2016, 02:03 PM
Contributing Member

I am always looking for ways to re-purpose content. The article you posted mentioned quora. I had never heard of that site before. It does look like a great way to drive more traffic using your older content. Going to have to look into it deeper.

One thing I do is look at the amount of traffic each article on my blogs get. If I see one with little or no traffic, I modify it slightly and watch the stats. I keep editing it until traffic starts to flow to it.

Good article by the way.

Old 08-06-2016, 02:04 PM
Contributing Member

Really got something new here. Thanks by the way. Anyhow, if you are a single writer in your blog, you should no write news type of posts, because they would blow your mind about how to update them.

Old 08-07-2016, 01:27 AM

Smile

I have been having some doubt regarding this topic of recycling or updating my old post.

This post has help me to see the need of recycling my old post.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum