Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

Share |
Old 08-15-2019, 07:05 AM
Contributing Member

The system was installed when the house was built almost 13 years ago. I have the motion monitors now, but the newer ones are better and not limited to being "wired". The "glass break" monitors, and "sky bell" are a security must these days, IMO.

The "internet" part, is the ability to get video, pictures sent to your smart phone, and use that app to be able to speak to someone at the door, whether you are home or not. I could be on the 6th hole playing golf (or vacationing out of the country), and get a notification that someone has approached the house and rung the doorbell. I'd get a video feed and speak to them if necessary.

The other additional video system will be installed by a third party alarm company - not the people installing the internal monitoring system.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-15-2019, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
could be on the 6th hole playing golf (or vacationing out of the country), and get a notification that someone has approached the house and rung the doorbell. I'd get a video feed and speak to them if necessary.
That sounds like a neat feature.

Am interested in what video system you chose. For retro work a POE system seems to me the best choice but I am just starting to study the things.

Old 08-15-2019, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

The "sky bell" video is proprietary to the residential alarm system company. The exterior system...? Not sure yet. I've seen one system that feeds an interior box with a 4TB drive - again, accessible from anywhere - live and historical video. I didn't pay too much attention to the latter as I knew it was going to be phase 2.

I have kids - big and strong ones - still at home for a couple of years, so even if I'm away a month, they'll be here to dirty up the place. A sad way of making the place look "lived in".

Old 08-15-2019, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
A sad way of making the place look "lived in".

Been there and experienced that.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:37 AM
Contributing Member

Have decided to move my office to another floor. To do that I've got to move a total of 3 1/2 rooms of furniture, desks and other office stuff around. I hate moving - especially the heavy stuff. I also have an aversion to trying to untangle the spaghetti of wires and cords associated with my desktop system, and then have to set it all up again. Dust bunnies, tight spaces. Ugh....

Old 08-16-2019, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

I hear you. The last time I needed to move something heavy up the stairs I paid a couple of guys to do it for me. Best $100 I ever spent as they had one heck of a time doing it.

I suspect that if that piece ever comes back down it will be in pieces.

Old 08-18-2019, 05:23 PM
Contributing Member

It'll take a week to get all things moved. Getting the "big strong boys" to help is like pulling teeth. These older bones and back can only do so much!

Old 08-19-2019, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD View Post
It'll take a week to get all things moved. Getting the "big strong boys" to help is like pulling teeth. These older bones and back can only do so much!
I fear it would take me much longer. We have not seen the LR since I cleared the DR to empty the FR for painting 3 years ago. Sorta says how unimportant a formal LR is to modern life. Why am I paying to heat and cool it?

Maybe some improved news in the market today.

Old 08-19-2019, 02:12 PM
Contributing Member

Markets are good today.

Putting off moving stuff. DW wants it done. I'm making excuses. The weather is beautiful. Too nice to be indoors. Golf course is calling me.

Old 08-20-2019, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator

I won't bet on how that turned out. Since your weather turns so much earlier I almost have to take your side of that one.

Did you ever get your central vac unstopped?

Old 08-21-2019, 05:16 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
I won't bet on how that turned out. Since your weather turns so much earlier I almost have to take your side of that one.

Did you ever get your central vac unstopped?
Beautiful couple of days, despite a one-time downpour the other day. Cooler tomorrow, but sun right thru Monday.

Got my workstation set up again. What a mess - all the dust and spaghetti of wires and cables. Sheesh!!

Old 08-22-2019, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator

That was quick. You must have secured some help from the kids.

Rain predicted for here. I willenjoy not going out in the heat.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:54 AM
Contributing Member

Agh. I'm still in the middle of the move. My workstation had to be set up - client needs pop up whenever my machine is off-line. Murphy's law.

Was hoping to get some fresh air today, but I think I'll put off a round of golf until tomorrow.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

Sometimes life throws curve balls.

I went out to replace two of the lower deck boards and when I pulled them I found the sill stringer rotten. I will make darn sure I get ground contact lumber for the replacement.

Kinda sad really, I got 15 good years out of the old boards and this new crap rots out in 7-8.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:24 AM
Contributing Member

I've gone to stone patio material for the exterior decking. The original contractors (now classified as handymen) are nowhere to be found. I got a good price, but have paid to get their work fixed twice - so I've actually paid what I should have paid 5 years ago to start out with.

Now, if I can only get the contractors who "fixed" the settling issue, to come back to fix the further settling of the stones at the slightly elevated edge.

It never ends... Smh.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I've gone to stone patio material for the exterior decking.

It never ends... Smh.
As the lower deck is around the fish pond I can't figure out a way to do stone or I would have.

When you own a home there is always something to fix. At least I own a lot less of them than I did a few years ago.

Old 08-25-2019, 08:55 PM
Contributing Member

Always something to fix, yup. Mine is 13 years old and I've been going thru some replacement costs of appliances of late. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the big repair items hold off for a few more years - furnace, AC, roof.

Old 08-26-2019, 05:29 AM
Super Moderator

You should be okay. Asphalt shingles are usually good for at least 20 years with the higher pitches doing better. A furnace with proper care should go 30 or more. The AC can easy go 20 if properly installed. I've seen 40 year central units still running but that is rare.

Unfortunately modern appliances last no where near as long as the older stuff.

Old 08-26-2019, 09:39 AM
Contributing Member

No issues with the big items yet. Fingers crossed. Had to replace stove, fridge and dishwasher in the last two years.

Added new alarm system upgrades. Feeling better (security). Although this new system has a motion activated video door bell, I'm going to be looking into separate exterior video surveillance. Lots of interesting things going on locally that was pretty much unheard when we first settled here. Population has gone from 17k, to nearly 50k, so that's kind of telling.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'm going to be looking into separate exterior video surveillance.

It's wiring them where the rub comes in. Battery operated would be a hassle to maintain though wireless and battery is a choice.

For myself, the power over Ethernet is about all I would consider. I might be able to pull a CAT wire everywhere I would want a camera. The logistics of doing house voltage and a CAT is way more work than I care to or probably could do.

Today I'm loafing. Two days of work at or below my feet makes all the joints ache.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby