Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 01-14-2017, 04:37 PM
Contributing Member

Conversion Rate Optimisation - A Guide

Before I start let me just say this…If you haven’t split tested, A/B tested, or ever owned, or ran, more than one site in a particular niche, then you likely have no grounds to give advice so please don’t bother!

Ask me a question by all means, but please don’t post some rubbish that will help nobody, possibly confuse others, and is likely based on a one off change you made that you think helped you.

CRO = A/B testing = Split testing

In my experience the lack of attention to CRO is one of the primary reasons so many websites fail in their endeavour to turn traffic into /$$$. Once you actually begin to understand the behaviour of your visitors, and you learn how to lead them by the hand to your checkout, subscriber form, or whatever you’ve enticed them to your site to do, you will then understand why CRO and SEO are intrinsically linked. A true SEO should also be an expert CRO.

Your primary objective is to get traffic to your site, not any old visitor, the type of visitor that wants what you have to offer.

Your Secondary objective is to get the visitor to do what you want: subscribe, buy, share, whatever.

There are many SEO’s out there that can perform onsite and offsite optimisation with great success, if you count success as traffic acquisition. But If your CRO is poor then you are missing out on a lot of potential revenue.

Where to Begin?

There are certain things that all sites must do/add/avoid before you even think about testing the specifics, they work and any decent SEO worth his salt will agree hands down.

-Clear, concise, above the fold formatted headlines that give the site an identity, and let the visitor know what the site is about. If you negate this then you will have a very high bounce rate as the visitor will feel confused. Nobody likes to be confused do they? A visitor should know within a split second after arriving on site that they are where they wanted to be.
-Clear calls to action (CTA’s) for each and every page using emboldened contextual links or large enticing buttons.
-Avoid masses of text that lack effective CTA’s, use images to break up the text you do have.
-Media is your friend, whether its youtube video’s, images or info graphics, make sure you add it. People generally don’t like to read much these days
-A quality custom logo and favicon for brand identity.
-Are you credible? Add SSL certificate, trusted seller mark, Fast shipping badge etc.
-Take a look at what your most successful competitors are doing, then do it BETTER. More than likely they have done A/B testing already.

Now What?

Time to start A/B testing specifics.

The obvious one to start with is your CTA buttons or links.

How do you currently try and get your visitors to ‘add to cart’ or ‘buy now’? Test both these options (or whichever you are using currently against them and see which performs best). Try text vs button, see which one performs best. Try different colours for your buttons, research shows that the colour yellow entices more people to buy than any other colour. Try yellow vs blue etc.

Only make one change at a time, collate results, then act.

You may find that for your visitors they prefer a blue button that say’s “Buy now," this will always vary based on your theme colour and site feel. There is no hard and fast rule, besides the ‘test everything’ rule!

To glean the data results I would advise using certain services that are available for A/B testing. Just do a search, as I don’t like advertising on forums.

I have found that making simple changes, like replacing “buy now,” with, “don’t miss out - Buy now” can enable a 50% better CTR.

When you really drill down hard into the data, after testing vigorously, you can increase your revenue by 100% or more. I have a very conservative site that performs best with the button “Purchase here”. Horses for course is the saying in the UK.

What Else Can I A/B test?

You can test pretty much everything and I wont try and list everything I can think of, but here are a few examples to help, some of which I may have previously mentioned…sorry!

Multiple CTA’s rather than just one above the fold
Buttons vs Text
Colour, theme, buttons, etc
Shapes of buttons
Fonts
Discount coupon onsite, discount details in meta description, discount pop-up or none of them.
Use a heatmap plugin to vary position of CTA’s based on average visitor click activity.
Urgency offers, countdown timers.
Coupons or not (colour, size, shape of coupon)

There is no reason that you can’t test any part of your site, and however crazy you think your idea is just test it and see, I’m shocked by results on a regular basis. Many niches have visitors who actually prefer old style sites still believe it or not.

Make sure you test each and every variable on an equal footing as the time of day, day of week etc can causes variations.
Always start tests at the same time on the same day and run for the same amount of time. Personally I find I get enough data after 7 days to make an easy decision. If I find the evidence is inconclusive then I will continue to test until there is a winner.

Lastly, I would advise you to never stop testing, there are always changes that can be made to increase your revenue or subscriber list.

I hope this helps some of you.

Last edited by Woomeister; 01-14-2017 at 04:42 PM.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-15-2017, 06:03 AM
Contributing Member

No questions then...?

Old 01-15-2017, 08:01 AM
Contributing Member

How many CTA for article review 1000 word ? Do CTa "get bonus now" is useful ?

Old 01-15-2017, 08:44 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosestorm View Post
How many CTA for article review 1000 word ? Do CTa "get bonus now" is useful ?
As I mentioned you need to test. There are no hard and fast rules, what works on one site, may not on another. It is for YOU to find out by testing.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:34 AM

Yes CTA useful for good CAT you should target right page with right keyword and your website meta title must be attractive.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:51 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by davied.kb View Post
Yes CTA useful for good CAT you should target right page with right keyword and your website meta title must be attractive.
That's all the comments you have after reading the opening post?

Old 02-09-2017, 03:53 AM
Contributing Member

Adding my two cents:

Minimize outbound links from your landing page. Basically give your customers only two options - buy now or shut down the browser! But make sure you're giving them enough information to make a well informed decision.

As regards button colour, a pretty much monochromatic page with a big red CTA button usually works in my case. Minimises distractions & helps the customer focus on what needs to be done.

Incentives are a big plus & different forms of incentives should be tried by every marketer. As a marketing student, I learnt that even a $5 coupon can entice the biggest of company executives. Better still if you can give something au gratis!

Old 02-09-2017, 04:18 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaguar View Post
Adding my two cents:

Minimize outbound links from your landing page. Basically give your customers only two options - buy now or shut down the browser! But make sure you're giving them enough information to make a well informed decision.

As regards button colour, a pretty much monochromatic page with a big red CTA button usually works in my case. Minimises distractions & helps the customer focus on what needs to be done.

Red is associated with highest ROI according to many studies Yellow and orange are also though.
The main point of the post is that testing gives you the information you need to make a fully informed decision. Stating something "usually works", implies you haven't actually tested? If this is the case then you are potentially missing out on higher conversions. Wording within the CTA has many surprising results.

Old 02-09-2017, 04:54 AM
Contributing Member

In this case usually works means that it works enough no of times as a Case A, to outperform competing cases B, C, D etc. Consequently they get sent to the gallows & A survives. I make it a point to consider it the base case & measure other scenarios against it.

Old 09-29-2017, 05:50 PM
Contributing Member

This is the sort of thread that people on a webmaster forum should find and yet there is no response hardly. Why? Because spammers don't care about decent content, nor mods. There are sticky posts that don't even come close to giving as much information.

Old 09-30-2017, 01:08 AM

To run an A / B test, the website must have stable traffic and be at a minimum of 300-500, if the traffic is too low will not be able to form a database for the survey.

Old 09-30-2017, 02:45 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy91 View Post
To run an A / B test, the website must have stable traffic and be at a minimum of 300-500, if the traffic is too low will not be able to form a database for the survey.
Not at all. I have no idea where you get the number 300-500 from, did you pull it out of fresh air?

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum