Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 11-16-2009, 04:31 PM
Contributing Member

Toyota plant workers sheltered from the downturn

When the call came in on July 4, 2008 that Toyota was going halt production for three months, Wes Woods was getting ready to watch a fireworks display with his children.

I was told that not only were we going to stop production, but that we had to come up with a three-month training plan for all our team members within two days, said Woods, assistant general manager at the Toyota engine plant here.

The extreme slump in auto sales, which peaked at 17 million in 2005 but are expected to barely pass 10 million this year, forced domestic auto companies GM and Chrysler into government-led bankruptcy, and they shuttered plants, slashed their dealership networks and cut tens of thousands of jobs in order to receive government aid.

This Toyota plant, which began production in 2003 and makes big truck engines, did things differently.

I dont think anyone anywhere in the auto industry has ever been through anything like this, said plant president Jim Bolte.

Although the plant shut down for three months to help cut inventory levels, no permanent workers were laid off, though temporary workers were let go and overtime was cut.

Instead, Toyota came up with a three-month training, improvement and cost-cutting plan starting in August 2008 for its 900 employees here in Huntsville.

http://blogs.reuters.com/route-to-re...-the-downturn/

When smart management and workers work together, people are able to raise to challenges.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues