Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Digital Photography Forum

Digital Photography Forum Focuses on digital photography from a web development standpoint, such as tips for better product photography, lighting, optimizing photographs for web use, best digital camera choices, etc. Additionally, we encourage you to show off your personal shots!

Share |
Old 08-12-2006, 11:15 AM

Other thn decent optics these are some points I always look for in a camera
  • start up time (for when you need to capture the unexpected)
  • focus speed (so the moving object is still there when the picture is taken)
  • minimum shutter speed speed (so I can capture fast moving objects without blurr)
  • manual functions (so I am not limited by what the factory thinks I should do)
  • availility of batteries (so I can get a set in a corner store when they run out)

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-12-2006, 12:00 PM
Contributing Member

Good points.
Aswell as startup time, you definitely need to see how quickly the camera actually takes the photo when you press the button.
On one of my digital cameras, I get very annoyed because it takes between 1 and 2 seconds to actually take a photo after you press the button. It makes it very awkward to time photos of people jumping etc. I prefer a camera that takes a photo in no noticable time after pressing the button.

Also check out battery life. One of my cameras loves batteries like a fat kid loves pizza. It eats them so quickly.

Old 08-14-2006, 01:29 AM

I've enjoyed reading the reviews on Steve's Digicams site when purchasing digital cameras in the past. Anyhow, it really depends on what you want to be able to do with the camera. If you're just wanting a camera to take while on vacations, that's fine and dandy, but there are a few things you might want to think about before you buy.

littleFella definitely lists some good things to think about. If you're on vacation, I would go for a camera that uses easily replaceable batteries (like AA), just in case you run out and need a quick replacement.

Also, another important thing to consider ... time for the flash to rebuild. I have one camera (Canon PowerShot A520) that takes forever to rebuild (6 seconds on average, I believe). That's a long time and can be quite frustrating at times.

If you get to the point where you have a better idea of what you want, you might ask the question over at the forums at Steve's Digicams (Steve's Digicams Forums -- What should I buy?)

Old 08-14-2006, 05:51 AM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmjs
If you get to the point where you have a better idea of what you want, you might ask the question over at the forums at Steve's Digicams (Steve's Digicams Forums -- What should I buy?)
Respectfully, why would he go ask someplace else to ask when there are a ton of qualified people right here in the V7N Digital Photography forum to help?

Old 08-14-2006, 12:53 PM
Contributing Member

Well this isn't really a specialized forum for photography. It's like someone over there asking a web design question. They would suggest a forum specific to the subject

Old 08-14-2006, 01:18 PM
No Longer Active

I guess I thought that was why we specifically asked to have this forum created for us. I can see referring people to other forums if their question isn't getting answered, to view more reviews, or for tutorials etc. but this was a question that everyone was participating in, so I didn't understand why someone would advise that they ask the question someplace else. If we are just going to point everyone someplace else, why have the forum?

Just my two cents...

I will slither back to my corner now.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:03 AM
Individualist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyBoy
Well this isn't really a specialized forum for photography. It's like someone over there asking a web design question. They would suggest a forum specific to the subject
It is a "Digital Photography" forum. So the assumed goal would be to make it a specialized forum for such things. I think we have some extremely knowledgable members here.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Digital Photography Forum