Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 08-31-2008, 11:20 PM
Banned

Exclamation China After Beijing Olympics

After the Olympics, China now banners its most important claim from the Olympics history.

In general, what would be the effects of the event to the society and economy of China? Does this means that, China would soon hit the top spot of developing countries and be labeled to be one of the developed one?

Post your comments, observations or individual expectations here about China after the Beijing Olympics.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-07-2008, 11:39 AM
Contributing Member

China grows much in the last years, but much of that grow was because they paid very low salaries.
I hope that after the Olimpics China get normalized as a country.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:24 PM
Contributing Member

China oppresses it's people, pollutes its land, and isolates itself from much of the world. In the past decade, measures have been taken on most of China's issues, but the resolve is slow. almost none of the large bodies of water in China are without dangerously measurable amounts of pollution. and the last number I read was that 1/2 the country is without clean drinking water.

Only when outside nations (namely the U.S.) started applying pressure, did China start to clean up it's act. Unfortunately, we're finding that China's pollution may also be causing greenhouse issues on American soil (worldwide no doubt).

China has a long ways to come and does not seem to show much interest in improving it's country unless there is monetary benifit. Screw the people... they're just here to pay taxes anyways!

Old 09-18-2008, 07:36 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yenerich View Post
China grows much in the last years, but much of that grow was because they paid very low salaries.
I hope that after the Olimpics China get normalized as a country.
What do you mean normalized? Normality is completely relative.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:58 PM
Contributing Member

oh, A group of stupid people, If you do not have been to a country that is not going to comment chaos.Do not believe the media,To use your own eyes and brains to get to know a country

Old 10-03-2008, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member

Old 10-04-2008, 05:19 PM

ok so maybe those 2 little girls were underage does age really matter considering how good they did, good for them

Old 10-07-2008, 04:31 AM
Contributing Member

After the Olympics, many tourists visited China to see Olympic places. The Olympic Park, home to the Bird's Nest and Water Cube, attracted 2.17 million visitors.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:45 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Michealstork View Post
ok so maybe those 2 little girls were underage does age really matter considering how good they did, good for them
I believe it was determined they were of age for these games, however, they may have had underage in the Australia games.

The reason it matters is the rules of fairness. It has been determined that children have a higher ability of balance among other things. This provides the possibility of a level of unfairness between a child that is 14 versus a child that is 8 when it comes to things such as the Balance Beam and other gymnastic functions. It has been agreed to make an age limit to even the playing field so to speak on these grounds.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Contributing Member

For China to do anything, they need to first step out of the government of Communism.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:07 PM
No Longer Active

China isn't very communistic from what I've seen on my visits, in fact they are as capitalistic as the west, you'll find a McDonalds on every streetcorner just as anywhere else, large supermarkets like Walmart, huge billboards with ads all over the place, kids with cellphones everywhere and if you wouldn't know it's communist you wouldn't notice.

I think the Chinese communism is just a word to justify stiffling people's civil rights but in reality it's more like fascism/corporatism, just like the fascism/corporatism we are heading to get here in the west. For me it's very clear that the same big corporations which corrupt our democratic system have corrupted the Chinese system the same way and just as long.

It sure doesn't look like the communism I witnessed in the old USSR, almost nothing of business is state-owned in China, I have not seen any state owned businesses, only large multinational corporations and loads of privately owned small businesses.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:50 PM
v7n Mentor

I have to admit that is the very first time I have ever heard China's version of communism perverted into a definition that matched it to what the "West" which I would assume you are meaning the U.S. is visioned to either be or become by someone.

Communism is allowed to transform itself is it not? It doesn't have to transform itself into capitalism it can just give the guise to the rest of the world and it's tourists of capitalism. Did not Russia also have McDonalds and several other businesses spread throughout? The presence of corporate entities doing business does not define a governmental policy I wouldn't think. Perhaps the downfall of Russia's version of Communism was that seclusion was the answer. Perhaps China seeing that error has decided to participate in the worlds corporate market as long as they control it on their terms locally. Such a case would be Google, a company I know you love :-) and there are others too, but in order for them to do business in their country they have to allow the monitoring of every piece of information going through them from China, they also have to agree to block information deemed inappropriate by the government.

The Constitution of the United States protects the democracy, at least supposedly, the First Amendment guarantees the freedom of speech and practicing of religion, the Second Amendment among other things guarantees the right to bear arms. And a plethora of other individual rights. Including the right to a trial by your peers if accused of a crime, to paraphrase.

If not mistaken the practices of not allowing free speech, the restriction of movement and employment of it's citizens, the actions, though they have resided somewhat after world outcry, and largely due to a desire to be a free partner in the world market, of the state arresting it's citizens without cause and either not giving trials, or allowing for predetermined mock trials that results in the regular execution or enslavement of it's citizens at whim, and seizure of property which the state feels isn't really personal property, but just on lease from the state.

I know that there have been violations of our rights in this country, some have been correct, others haven't, and it's a daily battle to not lose them as much of the rest of the world wants us to. But the U.S. has not come close to the communistic atmosphere that even in a watered down hidden state still exists in China or other like countries.

Last edited by TechWizard; 10-07-2008 at 04:53 PM.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:54 AM
No Longer Active

I was not talking exclusively about America gamerslink, I mentioned "the west". Here in Europe with the undemocratic manner of how coorporative EU rule is forced upon people without their aproval and how slowly our civil rights are stripped off one by one it's not hard to see that we are heading towards corporatism - slowly, like when you boil frogs.

I see that trend in the US too - slowly, like boiling frogs, and all I'm saying is that I personally think that the Chinese communism has more comparison with corporatism than with a "marxism based" system.

Go travel the world for a change, like I have been doing half my life already and maybe then you'll see these comparisons too. You won't get the picture from sitting in your chair at home watching CNN and fox news.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:07 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferre View Post
I was not talking exclusively about America gamerslink, I mentioned "the west". Here in Europe with the undemocratic manner of how coorporative EU rule is forced upon people without their aproval and how slowly our civil rights are stripped off one by one it's not hard to see that we are heading towards corporatism - slowly, like when you boil frogs.

I see that trend in the US too - slowly, like boiling frogs, and all I'm saying is that I personally think that the Chinese communism has more comparison with corporatism than with a "marxism based" system.

Go travel the world for a change, like I have been doing half my life already and maybe then you'll see these comparisons too. You won't get the picture from sitting in your chair at home watching CNN and fox news.
I have been to foreign countries though not in many years admittedly, and we were in the midst of Cold War times when I did. The facts are facts though regardless of where they come from. Those are the practices of the Chinese government. And you are right when you say that their communistic practices are not as severe as they were in previous years. That does not change the fact that they still are a communist country. And participation in capitalism for self preservation purposes does not change a government from one type to another out of hand.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegamerslink View Post
I have been to foreign countries though not in many years admittedly, and we were in the midst of Cold War times when I did. The facts are facts though regardless of where they come from. Those are the practices of the Chinese government. And you are right when you say that their communistic practices are not as severe as they were in previous years. That does not change the fact that they still are a communist country. And participation in capitalism for self preservation purposes does not change a government from one type to another out of hand.
Facts become outdated. The world you saw twenty years ago, or whenever, doesn't exist anymore.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:51 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanol View Post
Facts become outdated. The world you saw twenty years ago, or whenever, doesn't exist anymore.
That is true, and I am not arguing that fact. I am interested if it can be explained why the little girl that sang at the Olympics was not allowed to be the one on camera because it isn't what China wanted us to see? Why the media was promised non-interference and was clearly monitored including all of their email. That isn't because of a capitalist society is it? A new face perhaps but is that not still practices of communism? I am open to other explanations, it just to me reminds me of the previous ways, just a better face. Just like Russia is returning to her communistic roots in many ways, the taking away of the free press among other things......

But you are right, what I saw 20+ years ago is outdated. Things always change, U.S. has changed drastically for the worse in the 20+ years as well, the introduction of the seat belt law, the introduction of the no smoking in any businesses regardless of type or owner wishes. The mandates to do this and not do that.....a lot has definitely changed.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:11 PM
Contributing Member

What I like about Chinese people is that they know how to grow their business but some of them has their own way even though its illegal.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:17 AM

Just watch the new south park video.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:06 PM
Banned

i think after olympics china should be more liberal about long time conservativeness on their society. it also give a new shape of chinese economy which one gain rapidly from last decade.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues