Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue

Webmaster Revenue Discuss money making strategies, ideas to monetize your website or blog, tips and techniques to increase webmaster revenue, etc. This forum is NOT for promoting your own site or referral link.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 06-18-2011, 07:04 AM
Contributing Member

making money from my blog

i have an eco cleaning blog which currently gets around 20 visitors a day. i've started to put adverts up but kept it minimal as it's on our company website so don't want customers to be put off from them.

so far in the last month we've had just 1 click on adwords so would like some input as to what other users thought about how we can improve our earnings.

it's important not to spam the blog with ads but what can we do to better place them? i've seen some sites that put first paragraph and then a box saying advert, then the rest of the post.

how do people feel to this? is it off putting? do you get more clicks?

we also have signed up with affiliates but they too haven't earned a penny so considering going for adwords only option. part of the issue also is we don't want competitors on our site but related content

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-19-2011, 07:40 AM
Contributing Member

Optimizing a website requires a series of tests to be run. Unfortunately, you don't have a large enough sample size to deal with variance. 20 visitors per day for a month is only 600 impressions.

Doing PPC, I had ads swing from 0% CTR to 0.2% CTR between 600 impressions and 5000 impressions.

While I realize that this isn't a direct answer to your question, it should be enough background to support my argument. Don't worry about CTR for your ads right now. You don't have enough visitors to worry about it yet. When you can get 2000-3000 visitors, minimum, to your website, then you can worry about figuring out what works where.

PS: Ad blocks look very unprofessional in general. It depends on your vertical, of course, but for anything even remotely attached to a professional website I'd say your best bet for monetization is shucking lateral products via reviews and email campaigns.

E.g., say I run a big email delivery company. I have a big email list. I decide that I want to monetize, so what do my customers want (besides what I provide and upsell every day)? Lateral products. People who do email delivery probably use websites and hosting. So I can shuck ZenSix hosting (VPS starting at $10/month, I love them). Or I could sell web design and SEO services (gee I think I know a guy).

It's much more professional, it breeds trust if you recommend people who are actually beneficial to your customers, and you never have to worry about competitors stealing the limelight. Or writing scathing reviews about you due to resorting to adwords to make money.

Cheers,
T

Old 06-26-2011, 02:20 AM
Contributing Member

You can easily monetize wordpress blog using BacklinksGenius. I, using it and it makes me decent money. With your pagerank it must be even easier.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:06 AM

I wouldn't thing abut monetizing with under 10k visitors per month. Right now your goals should be traffic and visitor loyalty .

Old 06-30-2011, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

You don't have nearly enough visitors to bother, unless you have a laser targeted buying keyword. Also when you say visitors do you mean actual visitors or bots plus visitors, given that you have a blog it also could just be automated rss retrievers that no one is reading. If you put on google analytics you should be able to get a better picture of how many people are actually visiting your site.

I would remove the ads as they wont make you any money anyway and just degrade the look of your site. I would consider putting ads on again at 100 search engine visitors.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:10 PM

I will suggest you not to use any add on company website. You will not get clients.this will effect very bad impression on the client...

Old 07-13-2011, 11:41 AM

Yes.. michael1421 is right... you must not use Ads on the companies website as it affects the user engagement and many a time it distracts your probable client.

According to many webmasters .. using ads on company website may lead in losing clients as the ad which is displayed on your site can be your competitor.

Thanks

Old 07-30-2011, 09:20 AM
Contributing Member

I recommend that you focus only on bringing traffic to your website; once you have traffic you will have many options to turn these visitors into money

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue

Closed Thread