Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

Share |
Old 01-29-2011, 12:40 AM
Banned

joomla versus wordpress.....

hii everyone...

i am planning to launch a tutorial website for different programming languages and engineering subjects.The site will have articles with few images..

so please suggest me which cms i should choose between joomla and wordpress..

if anyone has made tutorial website before then plz suggest me which cms i should use

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-29-2011, 06:48 AM

Keeping the kind of site you want to launch in mind.. I think wordpress would be better choice.. It also is more Search Engine friendly..

Old 01-30-2011, 04:27 AM
Banned

thanks for your reply.i have started working on this website on my localhost using wordpress.Can you tell me any other tutorial website made on wordpress just for reference..

Old 02-02-2011, 05:39 AM
Contributing Member

Wordpress might be easier to use for beginners, but Joomla is more sophisticated with a larger number of upgrades, updates, add-ons... This I tell you from own experience.

But Joomla has an odd interface... I found it strange after using Worpress...

Old 02-02-2011, 02:23 PM

With such a project I will suggest to use joomla, it also has big selection of different languages.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:52 PM
Contributing Member

I'd always decided to WordPress. Joomla is far more complicated to understand than wordpress, although it is far more complex tool than wordpress.
Easy administration, seo frendly orientation, easily customizable = Wordpress.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Banned

Thanks all of you guys.As a beginner i think wordpress is a great thing to start.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:45 PM
Contributing Member

Yes, wordpress is much simpler. The tutorial website which made in word press and which I know is net.tutsplus.com, so best of luck for your work.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:44 AM
Banned

Hi,

Both are good..but Word Press has a theme system that allows for easy customization for your blog allowing the creator to change the look of the site as often as they like. Word Press also has features that assist with link management, complex indexing of blog posts, and the ability for multiple authors to add blog or site content.

thanks.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:08 PM
Contributing Member

You're obviously hesitant, and hesitant means new/beginner to content management systems, thus, WordPress will be an ideal solution for you, it's very user-friendly, SEO-friendly, design-friendly, development-friendly (making my custom plugins was fairly easy), heck, WordPress is a friend to all!

I say go with it, and as you face problems along the way, you should either contact me or make a thread on V7N (I'll post in the thread as soon as I see it).

Old 02-07-2011, 10:28 PM
Contributing Member

Have you ever considered both?

A joomla + wp bridge is very powerful.

JFusion works great for this (there are other bridges out there too.) The great feature about Jfusion is you can set a master and a slave, meaning you can have either Joomla backed by wordpress or vice versa.

Check out Jfusion it might solve your dilemma by using both.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:21 PM

I am still exploring wordpress but for now, i can't find how to set up specific menus or sidebars in specific sections in wordpress other than hand code them comparing to joomla, where it is very easy to do. Also, I can easily set multiple themes for different sections.
At least for me, organize web content is much easier in Joomla page.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:14 AM
v7n Mentor

This is just my perception on this subject which seems to be getting a lot of attention recently, "Which CMS is best to use?" The actual choice has to really come down to what exactly is your goal?

The three main programs out there Wordpress, Joomla, and Drupal all have their benefits, and ultimately are all open source meaning anything you need to do to them it is possible to do, that is if it hasn't already been done and is available for free or a small fee.

John may tell you Wordpress is the best, Peter may say Joomla, and Paul may say Drupal. Is any of them smarter than the other, or wrong? The ultimate answer is that they are all correct. The program that is better is actually the one that you understand the best. This is why the answers are so diverse and why it is topic based purely on conjecture.

Personally my perspective is that Wordpress is the better CMS environment for me to work in because that is the one that I work in and have grasped the concepts of how it works and how to get it to do what I want. You may be more comfortable in the logic of the structure of Joomla and have an easier time finding the modules that you need, and designing for the results that you are attempting then Joomla is most likely best for you.

There are probably certain things that each program excels at, or is easier for the majority to manipulate, there may even be a feature or two that one possess and the others don't. The ultimate answer is that the one that you are most comfortable with and provides you the results you need is the one that is best for you to use so there is no one answer that fits everyone.

Just my two cents...

Old 02-13-2011, 09:51 AM
Contributing Member

In my opinion:

Joomla is more sophisticated, Wordpress mroe low-tech...
Wordpress is easier to understand at the beginning... Joomla harder...
Worpress is more prone to hacker attacks, more vulnerable system...

Old 04-18-2011, 03:25 PM
Banned

I don't know about Joomla, but I can also tell you that as a Blog, WordPress is highly vulnerable to all kinds of spam attacks. And I don't mean just a few pieces of spam per day; I mean attacks like the time I started receiving one bogus subscription every ten minutes. I have to temporarily turn off the ability to subscribe with preferences, and I've never turned it back on.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:06 AM
Contributing Member

According to me both of CMS are very useful but it depends on your need which type of project you need to create. But word press provide free page facility where you can do practice before buying any paid theme related to word press.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:46 AM
Contributing Member

I like to prefer you word press, really easy to work on that

Old 04-20-2011, 06:07 AM

wordpress is best one , it is easy to use you can easily get customised themes and plugins . Rest it is more seo friendly ..I'll prefer you to go for this .

Old 04-26-2011, 09:50 PM

Wordpress is a better choice, it is easier as well and can be handled without any such guidance.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:00 AM
Contributing Member

Wordpress is very good choice against Joomla. Wordpress is reliable and easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher View Post
hii everyone...

i am planning to launch a tutorial website for different programming languages and engineering subjects.The site will have articles with few images..

so please suggest me which cms i should choose between joomla and wordpress..

if anyone has made tutorial website before then plz suggest me which cms i should use

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum