Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 04-24-2011, 09:55 PM
Banned

How to find if visitors has NoScript addon installed?

Hi techs,

I want to trace if any visitor has NoScript installed at their PC or not? How to do this in php?

SEODigi

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-24-2011, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Why?

And why not make your scripts degrade gracefully for those who chose to use it?

Old 04-26-2011, 12:26 AM
v7n Mentor

You probaly can't detect that. You can check if they've got JS enabled or not, though. But as HTMLBasicTutor said, there is really no need for any proper detection with progressive enhancement/graceful degradation, unless you want statistics over how many visitors have got what.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:40 PM
Banned

Hi man

As I know Google Analytical and many other third party visitor tracking scripts/gadgets that we use run by script call. I have notice that I am getting more traffic at my sites but GA is not showing full. Then after some research and other people help I find that many people use NoScript addon, in this case GA or any other visitor tracking script will not run until visitor approve it manually. This is the reason to find if someone is using this addon or no.

I am selling traffic and designing traffic delivery and statistics script in php. I would like to show in stats how many visitors used NoScript addon that's why my clients may see low traffic in GA rather than showing at my own statistics page.

I personally use NoScript addon to avoid unwanted scripts running automatically.

SEODigi

Old 04-27-2011, 11:00 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by seodigi View Post
Hi man

As I know Google Analytical and many other third party visitor tracking scripts/gadgets that we use run by script call. I have notice that I am getting more traffic at my sites but GA is not showing full. Then after some research and other people help I find that many people use NoScript addon, in this case GA or any other visitor tracking script will not run until visitor approve it manually. This is the reason to find if someone is using this addon or no.

I am selling traffic and designing traffic delivery and statistics script in php. I would like to show in stats how many visitors used NoScript addon that's why my clients may see low traffic in GA rather than showing at my own statistics page.

I personally use NoScript addon to avoid unwanted scripts running automatically.

SEODigi
I see. But as I said, I don't think those scripts identify themselves to the server, the best you can get is probably to check if JS is enabled or not, but that will leave you with the problem that crawlers and the like will show up in the statistics, which is what is avoided by using a JS beacon for tracking visitors.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemrod View Post
I see. But as I said, I don't think those scripts identify themselves to the server, the best you can get is probably to check if JS is enabled or not, but that will leave you with the problem that crawlers and the like will show up in the statistics, which is what is avoided by using a JS beacon for tracking visitors.
Ok, how to trace if visitor has JS enabled or disabled I can also save this info in database and show in statistics so traffic buyers may know why less traffic is showing in their own statistics than mine.

What is exact command?

SEODigi

Old 04-29-2011, 04:48 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Ok, how to trace if visitor has JS enabled or disabled I can also save this info in database and show in statistics so traffic buyers may know why less traffic is showing in their own statistics than mine.

What is exact command?

SEODigi
Not a command as much as a technique to determine it. One way (that doesn't require another pageload) is to use AJAX to fetch a file. If the file was fetched from the server the client has JS, if it wasn't then the client doesn't.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Not a command as much as a technique to determine it. One way (that doesn't require another pageload) is to use AJAX to fetch a file. If the file was fetched from the server the client has JS, if it wasn't then the client doesn't.
Ok, but how to do this in php? I am untouch with AJAX?

SEODigi

Old 04-29-2011, 05:03 AM
v7n Mentor

The AJAX is JS, there's lots of information on the internet about how to use AJAX to fetch a file. The rest is up to your statistics system, you'll need to use PHP to save statistics and using the potentially fetched file to flag if the visitor with a specific IP has JS or not. How do you plan on saving visitor data?

Old 04-29-2011, 05:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
The AJAX is JS, there's lots of information on the internet about how to use AJAX to fetch a file. The rest is up to your statistics system, you'll need to use PHP to save statistics and using the potentially fetched file to flag if the visitor with a specific IP has JS or not. How do you plan on saving visitor data?
Ok, I will do some research on Ajax how to do the job. I am saving visitors data in 2 tables.

1. IPs Table > Date, IP, Country Name, Country ISO Code, Domain Name
IP will be same for repeated visitors so separate table

2. Visitors table > Date, Campaign ID, IP, Browser, OS, Alexa, Referral domain

These are two tables in which I am saving visitors data. Only country tracking is left and I am going to start separate thread how to do that!

SEODigi

Old 04-29-2011, 05:30 AM
v7n Mentor

Then you can simply add a field to the visitor table that you initially set to false (JS disabled) and in the file fetched by AJAX you simply change that field to true (JS enabled since it managed to fetch the file with JS). Good luck!

edit: you may also want to add a cookie through JS so they will only fetch the file once

Old 04-29-2011, 05:34 AM
Banned

Great man, I am now working on AJAX how to do what you suggested! Can you please look at my other thread that I just opened.

SEODigi

Old 04-29-2011, 06:13 AM
Contributing Member

try to Google Analytics code.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullifygirls View Post
try to Google Analytics code.
I regret to say that I am totally unable to understand what you said, can you please explain?

SEoDigi

Old 04-29-2011, 06:53 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
I regret to say that I am totally unable to understand what you said, can you please explain?

SEoDigi
He means you should use Google Analytics for visitor statistics. The problem is that it requires JS and thus won't track anyone who blocks it (or have opted out of GA).

Old 04-29-2011, 07:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
He means you should use Google Analytics for visitor statistics.
If he said so it means he did not read full thread otherwise he might know I am trying to know programmatically.

SEODigi

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Closed Thread