Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

Share |
Old 04-22-2011, 11:06 AM

is my htaccess code correct and safe?

The code is:
Code:
RewriteEngine On RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^domain.com [NC] RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.mydomain.com/$1 [R=301,L]

The reason I ask is because I see so many variations of this with different notations like the characters !, /, different arrangements of letters etc, is that it isn't clear which one is correct or safe.

Is the above method perfectly safe, and as applicable as any other method of doing the above?

Thanks in advamce

Last edited by HTMLBasicTutor; 04-22-2011 at 11:32 AM.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-22-2011, 12:19 PM
Coding Tiger

I'd go for a cleaner route:
Code:
RewriteEngine On RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\. RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.%{HTTP_HOST}/$1 [R=301,L]
what this will do is redirect ALL non-www requests to www (as yours does too).
you can also use it on multiple websites without having to edit it every time you deploy it on a new domain name (this is the clean part).

Old 04-22-2011, 02:13 PM

thanks for that

but is the method I mentioned safe? As in there will be NO adverse effects with that specific notation? Since many people put additional characters like !, / etc

Old 04-22-2011, 02:42 PM
Coding Tiger

yes, it's safe alright

those characters have special meaning when part of a regular expression, and because htaccess allows the use of regular expressions inside it everyone uses them to best fit their requirements, so you'll see a lot of those characters inside an htaccess file, but that doesn't mean you have to have them too if you don't need them

Old 05-03-2011, 04:31 AM
Contributing Member

whats happen.
It is very simple.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:13 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kos View Post
I'd go for a cleaner route:
Code:
RewriteEngine On RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\. RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.%{HTTP_HOST}/$1 [R=301,L]
what this will do is redirect ALL non-www requests to www (as yours does too).
you can also use it on multiple websites without having to edit it every time you deploy it on a new domain name (this is the clean part).
It is important to note that with this method it will redirect all requests with any subdomain other than www to with www. In other words, if you use any other subdomains (that resolve to a server with that .htaccess) they will be redirected. If this is the sought-after behavior then it's not a problem, but otherwise it might cause unexpected problems in the future when you thought you'd start using subdomains and all of a sudden it doesn't work and you don't know why. Otherwise it's portable and nice, just wanted to clarify further.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum