Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Domain Name Forum

Domain Name Forum Discuss or get help with domain name issues. Ask for suggestions, etc.

Share |
Old 10-10-2015, 01:56 AM
Contributing Member

How do you go about choosing the perfect domain name?

Hi guys, I interesting in knowing when your choosing a domain name how do you go about it.

Do you seek keyworded domains, part keyworded domains or do you go for a branded domain.

And how does it work for you, which one works best?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-10-2015, 04:59 AM
Contributing Member

Suggestions are obtained, but ultimately it is the call of the domain purchaser to select the name while registering the domain. Having the keyword in the domain name may fetch some SEO advantage, but then, since the domain name is a keyword there will surely be competition for that specific keyword.

One has to keep in mind that the name selected must be catchy, short, easy to remember, spell and to pronounce. The widest sort after TLD is .com and to obtain a .com at times can be perplexing. One can also try different combinations of two words and be creative with the naming of their domains. There are also tools available online that can suggest you the domain names. If you want to be known as an out of the box thinker then you may try the new gTLDs.

Old 10-17-2015, 04:10 PM
Contributing Member

I generally seek out domain names that are descriptive of the site I plan to make with it. All the short domain as are taken so I try to incorporate a keyword in it as well. Any name is capable of being made into a brand.

As it is so difficult to find available domain names, I make a spreadsheet and brainstorm ideas into it. Then I run them through the Namecheap bulk domain checker at 50 at a time and record which ones are available.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:05 PM

The domain name must be short and simple. It will be more better if it is relevant to our services.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:47 PM
Contributing Member

I dont make it too complicated as some so called SEO expert say. I just look for top level domain with keyword and simple to spell. That's all.

Old 11-07-2015, 01:28 AM
Banned

A good strategy is to lookout for expired domains, as most of the times many startups fail which leaves the domain owner no other choice but to drop the domain. Many of the times you are bound to come across very catchy and hidden gems which could sell for thousands of $. It is always an added advantage to have your keyword in the domain but branded domains also seem to work well. Make sure to avoid domains with hyphens as they will annoy the user.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:20 PM
Contributing Member

At least choose a name related to your business. Most of the time you will find you desired domains are registered by people or listed at high price. Evaluate carefully and select the best option.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:02 AM
Contributing Member

I choose the domain name with catchy, 5-10 character length, the pronounceable and rememberable name for my business. I avoid generic domain names because competition is high.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:37 AM
Contributing Member

i choose that type domain name which is easy to pronouce and available at popular social network sites

Old 01-19-2016, 10:42 AM

Must be short, easy to remember and search engine friendly meaning your keywords should be in domain name but don't make it like this.
bestfreewebhostingofall .com something too big is a bad idea.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:09 PM
Banned

First of all I do the keyword research on my niche, then I try to come up with a "brand able" domain name that has keyword in it in some way or other. But that was the thing of past. Now, to be honest I find it difficult to find such domain in .com Sometime you can tweak the domain name without disturbing inherent keyword.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

Related, connected and keywords are all good choices for the selection.

But the real truth is I have visited many domains and even subs that were none of the above, ranked high and had the information I was seeking.

I would not want to stick my neck out and proclaim anything but do you think the content on the pages were more important than all of the above?

Think about it. It takes time to really understand there is no magic bullet to success.

Old 02-05-2016, 04:15 AM
Contributing Member

I have seen many successful domain which are long but are easy to remember. So i would say don't select a word in domain which does not have any meaning. You can have domain such as irunoncloud, idrinkloud, fastmysleep etc.

As long as your website content is good seo optimized, any name can be famous. There are many brands with unique name but are famous now.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:56 AM
Contributing Member

Everything depends on whether you buy a domain for your business, whether for investment purposes and later selling it more expensive? There are many factors, such as ease of remembering the name, the keyword in the domain name or domain of your brand name? Do you need a global domain like .com or .net? Or do you want to buy a ccTLD? If ccTLD is it restriction free? Because not all ccTLDs are widely available, some of them are limited to purchasing only for the people / companiec of particular country. You need to give more details, and we will give you better able to hint at what to consider when buying a domain name

Old 02-16-2016, 02:06 AM
Contributing Member

It depends, if you want to make a brand then a fresh domain which you like to begin with and if you want to rank for a keyword then going for specific keyword name having is a good idea.

So, don't be confuse much about it and just go for the best you deem fit.

Old 02-20-2016, 01:25 AM
Contributing Member

It depends totally on you, what is your thinking strategy to promote you domain, whether or not you will be able to promote your domain if you purchase new, if you dont have time to do much of the seo, then go for the old domain that are ready to sell but be sure to check their backlink history.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Domain Name Forum