Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 12-16-2010, 09:08 AM
Contributing Member

US currency vs. the stock market

One of the things that our governmental officials have been pointing to in order to placate and soothe our fears of economic meltdown is that the stock market has recovered most of the losses that it incurred after 2008. I personally know a man who is thrilled every day that he sees green instead of red on the numbers of the dow jones. I have been paying close attention to the markets for a couple of years now, and I have been disgusted to see that a weak US dollar versus other currencies such as the Euro and Yen equals positive gains in the markets, both here and abroad.

My question is this:

How is a weak currency, no matter how much your portfolio might be increasing TEMPORARILY, good for America, and how is it that very little is being made of this issue?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-16-2010, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear78 View Post
My question is this:

How is a weak currency, no matter how much your portfolio might be increasing TEMPORARILY, good for America, and how is it that very little is being made of this issue?
A weaker currency will lower the international price of your goods and services, making them more attractive to buyers.
Presumably, you'll sell more stuff.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:50 AM
Contributing Member

What goods and services do we provide besides being consumers?

Old 12-16-2010, 12:29 PM
v7n Mentor

US actually exports a pretty good amount and the weak dollar theoretically lessens our trade imbalance. Here are our top exports http://www.importexportbook.com/what...rt-and-export/

Weak dollar is also good for tourism.

It is however pretty hard to maintain a weak dollar what with so many other countries doing their best to destroy their economies.

The stock market is a whole other animal. It's gains are fictitious. There is no fundamental growth in our economy that is supportive of such gains. As soon as confidence is bolstered enough and the people en masse start coming back in, the market manipulators will dump and run.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues