Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

Share |
Old 06-24-2019, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

You actually eat kale and don't like cabbage?

We make an unusual combination.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-24-2019, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

Kale makes for a part of a good juice drink too!

And while kale is healthy food choice, we grow our own little bit which is pesticide free. But, the supermarket-bought products should be consumed in moderation.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

You don't have to worry about me over-consuming kale.

Yet another rainy day. Sigh!

Now I have to figure what to make for dinner. Lots of food just nothing excites me.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:34 PM
Contributing Member

Tonight:

BBQ'ed boneless, skinless chicken thighs with lots of bbq sauce (slightly hot), sliced into strips, on fresh bakery buns.

Some kind of veg to accompany the sandwiches. Red, yellow or orange bell pepper I think.

Apple and orange slices for desert.

If I can stay awake, a 3-4k walk after din, if it's not raining.

ADD: if you like chicken, I've got a great recipe for a lunch or dinner salad: greens, cooked chicken, raisins, sliced almonds, mandarin orange slices, tossed with salad dressing of choice - I recommend a nice balsamic vinegar dressing.

Last edited by LMD; 06-24-2019 at 12:39 PM.

Old 06-25-2019, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator

When I do thighs on the barbie I usually leave the bone in and skin on for smoke. The rest of the time I usually make them boneless. It is one of the easiest chicken parts to debone.

Local restaurant had a Monday promo so we went out.

Tonight I am making a Southwestern chicken breast (chicken, cumin, tomatoes and green chilies) which goes well over rice on a flour tortilla.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:44 AM
Contributing Member

Mmmmm. Sounds good. The missus has a retirement party at work this evening, so me and the boys are ordering a pizza.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Pizza is good.

I broke down and went truck shopping today. After that I sceduled an appointment to get my truck AC repaired.

That should indicate what I though of the shopping experience.

Old 06-25-2019, 08:42 PM
Contributing Member

Ah, yes. The old get-my-truck's-AC-fixed routine. lol

I haven't had a truck since 2000. I almost had another one in 2009. I took it out for a test drive during a snow storm. Had it parked in my driveway for a bit, took the missus out for a spin, but when I really figured out what I wanted on the truck in terms of upgrades, I couldn't afford it.

Now I buy used - I like the two-year old turn ins. My current car was two years old, had 18K on it (yes, 18k for a two year old) and was about $15 k less than a brand new one.

Old 06-26-2019, 05:06 AM
Super Moderator

If the AC is something major I may look at used. Actually the sticker shock wasn't as bad a last time. From 86-96 the price essentially doubled. From 96 to 19 the delivered price of the exact same truck is only up about 7K approx 45%.

If I buy new to 2 years old it will probably be my last truck.

Did the Missus retire or just have a party for someone else?

Old 06-26-2019, 07:53 AM
Contributing Member

Re vehicles, I was a "new car" guy for the longest time. The payments were just part of my life's expenses. I could afford the payments, so that's what I did. More recently, my father couldn't drive any more (medial issue), so he gave his car to us, and I gave it to the kids. It not in great shape when I got it, so the kids basically drove it into the ground, and one day it just died. Wouldn't start - I could see $$$ to get it fixed. My car was about 6 years old at the time, so I bought something used (three years old) for me, and gave them my existing car.

My current one (I think I already mentioned) was two years old, around $15K off the "new" price, but it had next to nothing for mileage. It was then I realized a two-year old car is practically brand new, you can normally get an extended warranty, so it just made sense.

She's retiring tomorrow - her last day after 40+ years. Now my best friend will be around all the time.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
She's retiring tomorrow - her last day after 40+ years. Now my best friend will be around all the time.
Yeah for you. Spend some time traveling before one of you doesn't enjoy it anymore.

AC fixed for only $164. If it lasts a year and fitzs out again I will buy some manifold gauges and learn to charge a system. It held a vacuum so it might really be okay.

Quote:
My current one (I think I already mentioned) was two years old, around $15K off the "new" price, but it had next to nothing for mileage.
Small trucks in my area don't depreciate anywhere near that fast. I looked at everything listed online within 150 miles and most them were only 2-3K less than a new one. It wasn't quite apples to apples, most of them were more expensive models. Most people dress them up a bit more than I feel the need to do.

Old 06-26-2019, 11:48 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
Yeah for you. Spend some time traveling before one of you doesn't enjoy it anymore.
Yep, for sure. A couple of weeks out west very soon, and 5 weeks down south this coming winter. Day trips are in our future for sure. Want to check out a couple of small cities southwest of us for the future.

Quote:
AC fixed for only $164. If it lasts a year and fitzs out again I will buy some manifold gauges and learn to charge a system. It held a vacuum so it might really be okay.
Good deal! Cheaper than a new truck too!

Quote:
Small trucks in my area don't depreciate anywhere near that fast. I looked at everything listed online within 150 miles and most them were only 2-3K less than a new one. It wasn't quite apples to apples, most of them were more expensive models. Most people dress them up a bit more than I feel the need to do.
If that's all the difference is in cost between a new vehicle and one two years old, I'd get a new one too!

Old 06-26-2019, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

BLTs for dinner. I cooked 3 pounds of bacon, should last a couple of weeks.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:19 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
I cooked 3 pounds of bacon, should last a couple of weeks.
Would last a couple of days in our house.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

If my son came for dinner it would be gone.

You need to start eviction proceedings. Be a tough old daddy bird.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:52 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
If my son came for dinner it would be gone.
Sounds like a slightly hungrier version of my oldest.

Quote:
You need to start eviction proceedings. Be a tough old daddy bird.
One has some student loans to pay off and the other one still has one more year in the Masters program (7 years in Uni in total) and he'll have some loans to pay off too.

I think they're going to be here for another 10 years.

Old 06-27-2019, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

You poor guy.

Okay go ahead and give them a deal on the rent but board is extra.

Old 06-28-2019, 05:07 AM
Contributing Member

They begin to pay a nominal "rent" when they've graduated and begin working. Basically the nominal rent may cover their share of groceries, and that's about it. Junior begins paying nominal rent in January. The older one will begin paying when he graduates next April.

Until then, three pounds of bacon would last a day or two, so I've got to buy it when it's on sale.

Or, I might have to get a part time job.

Old 06-28-2019, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Until then, three pounds of bacon would last a day or two, so I've got to buy it when it's on sale.
I never buy it unless it on sale. GFS runs it for $3 a pound a few times a year and that is when I buy.

I watch my pennies and spend my $.

Right now I may get to spend some of them on a new mower. In the process of cleaning the engine I noticed a hairline crack in the lower crankcase where the engine attaches to the mower. I suspect it could break at any time though I have no clue how long it has been that way or how long it might last.

A new engine is about 45% of the cost of a new rider.

I debated buying a new one earlier this year because yanking that cord on a 9.5 makes me hurt. I assure you the next one will have a starter.

My amortized cost for 18 years of service is about $59 per year so I have no right to complain.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:32 AM
Contributing Member

I had a little JD rider at one point maybe 20 some odd years ago. I think it was only a 32" or similar. It was great. Once I let the landscaping business go, I still had a bout 1/3 of an acre at home, and it was nice to ride and cut, rather than push or even walk behind self propelled.

I've got a JD JS25 now and it's a 6.75 HP self propelled. Nice machine and although "self-propelled" isn't absolutely necessary for my property size now, but it's a blessing having it in the heat.

Just got a new blade for the machine. It cut the grass like butter. It was more like "ripping" the grass before. you can tell about a day after cutting whether the blades need sharpening or not by looking at the tops of the cut grass. I'm sure you know what I'm referring to.

Big celebrations in town this weekend. Strawberry festival with vendors and small carnival rides for the kids. I love this time of year! Other than maybe a shower this afternoon and potential for a shower or two tomorrow, the weather isn't half bad.

Just fertilized the grass (second app this year) and waiting for some thunder storms later this evening to activate the granules. I want GREEN!

Last edited by LMD; 06-28-2019 at 08:38 AM. Reason: add

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby