Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby

Web Design Lobby Forum for general web design issues not specific to scripting or graphics.

Share |
Old 12-04-2012, 02:52 PM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel Z. View Post
HTML site is not really from this time anymore. Using Wordpress as a CMS makes life so much easier for you. Another great option would be Drupal. SEO wise it doesn't really matter which one you pick including a HTML site.
What exactly are you basing your opinion on? Can you provide a credible resource to back that thought up?

As a web designer, I assume you are familiar with HTML5?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel Z. View Post
HTML site is not really from this time anymore.
FYI: Ya can't run a website without HTML. No matter what method you use to produce the pages they still use HTML.

As previously stated in this thread, it doesn't matter what technology you use it all depends on the template and the programming used to create the pages.

Wordpress is pretty SEO friendly out of the box (although the old stock templates provided were better). It's the template designers that wreck it making end users to have to add plugins to fix the SEO problems which in turn bloat the download speed of your pages.

Most people who reply to these types of questions are programmers, web developers or web designers, not end users. Of course if you are in the field of web development content management systems and ecommerce software is easy. But you are not a newbie website owner that knows nothing about web page construction which means none of them are easy. Even using something like Expression Web is confusing.

If the developers of these systems and those who push them actually knew how to write standards compliant code that is search engine friendly life would be much easier for those who you flog them to.

I have just wasted a whole bunch of time trying to fix an ecommerce suite that I could have built with regular HTML pages in less than a week. So my vote is for old fashioned HTML sites. BTW: I have 5 static hand coded HTML sites and 6 Wordpress blogs plus an ecommerce site under construction. I would much rather work on the static HTML sites.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:11 AM
Contributing Member

i think , wordpress will be good , there are are lots of free wordpress theme you can also use them . even you can try themeforest template those are good . thanks raj

Old 12-13-2012, 01:07 PM

Back in the day I would just use an html editor, but nowadays all my websites are powered by Wordpress.

Wordpress is more of a blogging platform as opposed to a true CMS, but it does the job nicely.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:12 PM
Contributing Member

a good CMS like WordPress and Joomla Can Help You .....

Old 12-17-2012, 11:16 PM
Contributing Member

It truly depends on the project at hand, I personally have more respect for well-implemented HTML sites than blogs.

Blogs are great, but in my opinion they limit what you can do. HTML sites can be static sites, where the content does not change or does not need to be updated much.

Where as blogs require constant posting and promotion. Blog posts naturally tend to be short as well.

So longer articles won't look right in the format of a blog post. So like I said, it truly depends on what you have in mind with the project you are pursuing.

I hope this helps!

Much Thanks,

BiologyWebmaster

Old 12-18-2012, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichealAbrot1 View Post
a good CMS like WordPress and Joomla Can Help You .....
Why?
You need to backup your replies with some useful informations, like why would that be helpful to OP, and maybe with a link to a credible source.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:28 AM

An html site may not be the most popular choice but to me many of these Wordpress sites are starting to look the same. If you want to stand out more, I would go with an html site.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:03 AM
Contributing Member

HTML site is best choice while I would suggest you personally to go with wordpress ,
as you can easily add new content , update your site and you have no limitations, you can do each and everything easily. Also wordpress are known easy to optimize then HTML sites.

Wordpress is one of the best choice to go with!

Old 03-01-2013, 05:37 AM

Better you use WordPress which is good for u. As its not easy to update your html web pages.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evemper View Post
HTML site is best choice while I would suggest you personally to go with wordpress ,
as you can easily add new content , update your site and you have no limitations, you can do each and everything easily. Also wordpress are known easy to optimize then HTML sites.

Wordpress is one of the best choice to go with!
You can just as easily add fresh content to a static HTML site as a Wordpress site if you use a template and includes. If you have Dreamweaver or Expression Web you can make it even easier with a DWT (Dynamic Web Tempate).

Wordpress is not easier to optimize than HTML sites.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soniamit View Post
Better you use WordPress which is good for u. As its not easy to update your html web pages.
See my response above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamw View Post
Static websites have the huge advantage of being easy for Google to check out and recommend to people searching for related content. Think about Youtube video its static (video never changes), but it is often high up in Google rankings. Blogs may be nice because its always recurring, but don’t discount the advantages of both.
What technology is used to create a site has no bearing on a site's ranking.

What does affect your ranking is
  • Search engine friendly construction - beyond using meta tags, alt attributes, title attributes and headings
  • The search engine friendliness of the actual content while still being user friendly so you earn natural incoming links.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post

I agree with most everythin else you said there dude but WP is indeed easier to optimize than HTML sites are, and by easier I mean more convenient and less time consuming, practically automated.

Back in the 90's and even eary 2k's people were editing their HTML sites by creating new pages, editing the title and descriptions of said pages, having to add links throughout the template where links were necessary (specially considering most never used/use includes) and then having to ad alt/title attributes here and there.

With WP, that whole process is automated, you just create a new post/page, done. Meta tags are auto filled in, and you don't have to worry about everything else.

WP is a ****ton easier to optimize that wordpress yo.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Let see
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perky View Post
editing the title and descriptions of said pages,
You still have to create and enter these with Wordpress.
Quote:
having to add links throughout the template where links were necessary (specially considering most never used/use includes)
You still have to open some kind of editor to do this.

You would be surprised how many people actually do use the different types of includes available.
Quote:
and then having to ad alt/title attributes here and there.
You still have to find the items you want to add these to, push a button to "edit" the item and click save. All the same procedures for those who use WYSWYG editors. Actually quicker to find the item and hand code the edit.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:30 AM

Let's see *

Quote:
Let see

You still have to create and enter these with Wordpress.
Are you referring to simply adding the title of the page/post and then typing the content out and having your plugins and per-configured header.php automatically add your page/post title and meta description/keyword tags in?

In a HTML based template, you not only type out the title of the page, and the content (as you would with WP) but you also have to manually edit the <title></title> and then description+keyword meta tags.

So, your point is not valid and mine remains so.

Quote:
You still have to open some kind of editor to do this.
No...you don't. You sign into your sites blog, then navigate to whatever page you want to edit, be it the content or the title, description and keywords. You click on EDIT at the top of that page (WP gives you that nifty quick-bar at the top of your entire site when you're logged into your blog for quick access to tools like that to save you time)

You then simply edit the title and description right there and hit update. Done.

(all you do to make it even simpler is install one of the many Meta Keywords & Description plugins available and you're good to go, a decent SEO plugin would do the same, see, you have all these amazing plugins to make your life simpler and job more efficient with wp, crap you don't have when updating a clumsy HTML template)

Quote:
You would be surprised how many people actually do use the different types of includes available.
I don't think I would. There are many people stuck in the old age of the good ol' DIY mentality either because they feel it would be too much of an effort to update their HTML sites to a CMS driven one, or are too stubborn to do so. Some, rightfully, have just gotten used to it and don't mind wasting their time inputting extra things that would otherwise be automated had they gone with wordpress. The old saying 'To each their own' comes to mind here, but your argument that HTML is easier to optimize than WP, which was the only thing I previously commented on, remains invalid.

Quote:
You still have to find the items you want to add these to, push a button to "edit" the item and click save. All the same procedures for those who use WYSWYG editors. Actually quicker to find the item and hand code the edit.
Are you kidding me? You're making it out to seem similar, but in reality I could edit the title, meta tags and heck, alt tags for all my images on one WP page, along with the url structure, and THEN have THAT change throughout my entire site in like, literally 5 seconds. Whereas to do that with a WYSWYG editor (assuming EVERYONE has include variables and such which they obviously don't so this point falls by the wayside) would take far far longer to do.

Wordpress is a BILLION times easier to optimize AND update than HTML sites. This is my opinion and it's backed both by common sense and facts.

But like I said before, you might have gotten used to it, you might be super fast and freakishly good at optimizing HTML sites, normal people, from this century, are better off getting a simple plugin to do all that in a fraction of a second for them and spend their valuable time doing better things than playing around with their WYSWYG editors.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:00 AM
No Longer Active

Quote:
“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” ― Bernard M. Baruch
In my very humble opinion, you are both right. It simply comes down to what you have become accustomed to. If you work predominately with WP you will tend to see it as the best option. If you work predominately with static HTML sites you will tend to see them as the best option.

In the end they are just tools to help obtain the results you are looking for.

Just my 2 cents...

Old 03-08-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
In my very humble opinion, you are both right. It simply comes down to what you have become accustomed to. If you work predominately with WP you will tend to see it as the best option. If you work predominately with static HTML sites you will tend to see them as the best option.

In the end they are just tools to help obtain the results you are looking for.

Just my 2 cents...
You're absolutely right, but also a little wrong.

Quote:
"So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth." - Revelation 3:16
I understand that some people will see how my argument may seem right, but also how HTMLBaiscTutor might be too. Sadly, sometimes things are black and white, especially when it doesn't just come down to opinion but factual evidence.

The statement made, and the statement I first quoted was:
Quote:
That statement is false, and by false I do not mean to offend anyone by stating it was a deliberately made false statement, just one that is contrary to the fact that with the help of a plethora of plugins made readily available for WP users, optimizing WP can be achieved with immense ease, far easier than doing the same with a HTML site.

While i agreed and still agree with most of what HTMLBasicTutor said in their initial post (which I quoted) that was my observation and I stated as such. A healthy discussion if you ask me, which I gladly continued after HTMLBasicTutor made more false statements that I happily pointed out again.

This thread is titled "HTML site or blog?" to which my answer would be, whichever better suits your need. If you're after a simple landing page for example, maybe a site you don't plan on editing or expanding, then sure, a HTML site would be fine. If you plan on expanding, optimizing, and building onto your site, then simply due to 'scalability' issues, HTML sites are unrealistic, it would be a daunting task for anyone to successfully built and maintain/optimize a medium to large sized HTML site.

As I said before:
Quote:
Some, rightfully, have just gotten used to it and don't mind wasting their time inputting extra things that would otherwise be automated had they gone with wordpress. The old saying 'To each their own' comes to mind here, but your argument that HTML is easier to optimize than WP, which was the only thing I previously commented on, remains invalid.

This thread isn't about what we find to be more convenient. Stating our opinions based on preferences alone would be biased and would not help the readers. Instead of stating an opinion that is purely based on personal preference, I pointed out the facts and differences.

Finally,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket
In the end they are just tools to help obtain the results you are looking for
Very true, people just need to realize and know when it's more realistic and beneficial to use each.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:28 AM
Administrator

First of all I was responding to Evemper's blanket statement that Wordpress is easier to optimize than a static HTML site.

Optimize covers a huge scope of things. Not only the background construction of the pages but also the actual content and a bunch of little things for improved SEO. The technology used makes no difference.

The technology that runs a site is only as good as the creator and user know how to use it. This requires knowledge by both parties as to what is considered good overall optimization.

Plugins might be a time saver but they also don't help the average user understand what is actual good optimization. They just add them because someone said they should. They also do not understand the drag all these plugins put on the rendering of their site/blog (another thing to consider when optimizing a site). Conflicting plugins are also a problem.

You first referred to title and description. One is an HTML element (the title tag) and the other is a meta tag. Then in your response you are talking about the post/page's main heading tag contents. With some knowledge, on a site that is rendered as a static HTML page the information in the title tag can be used as the heading tag content (or visa versa) automatically.

You then referenced the template and adding links to it. Now you are talking about edit the page content. The template is different. It is the typical layout and elements of the pages.

One does not have to be stuck in any particular mentality to make the decision of what works best for their site/blog. They need to take the time to research what is the best way to proceed for their site. Most don't though. They just barrel ahead or let themselves be talked into what ever technology of the day is.

A new or existing site HTML site can have a "CMS" without using Wordpress or any of the other "in" CMS.

Moving an exisiting site to a content management system (or any other system) can have dire consequences if not handled properly. This again would require the site owner and the developer having the kinowledge of what has to be done to handle this properly.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:32 AM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Very true, people just need to realize and know when it's more realistic and beneficial to use each.
For me personally I don't care which one I am using. They are both equally simple to optimize.

As for clients though, that can be a different matter all together and it can depend on how involved they want to be with their site.

If a client is not well versed in either and plans on updating their site on their own, I would much rather teach them how to do so with WordPress because I can make sure that most things are automated for them.

FWIW I have been called a lot of things in my life but "lukewarm" has never been one of them. I simply don't get hung up on specific methods being better or worse than another. I use the tool that best fits the specific challenge I am facing at the time - occasionally that comes down to personal preference.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:38 AM
No Longer Active

FWIW we have definitely gotten off track from the topic of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9xdesigns View Post
want to build a website to promote my services and highlight my portfolio. Is it more professional to have a static HTML site than a blog?

Old 03-08-2013, 11:55 AM

In reply to HTMLBasicTutors previous post:

You're missing the entire point of my replies. As I said before several times, and I'll say it again, my replies were to clarify/rectify your statement:

Quote:
Optimization, as a term, can apply to many things, you're right. But that has nothing to do with what we're saying here, I didn't question your use of the term itself, but the statement behind it, that Wordpress isn't easier to optimize than HTML sites, be it in reference to on-site SEO or backend and other general website elements.

Your statement on how the technology used to run sites being only as good as the knowledge users posses in using said technology is valid, but again, doesn't really apply to this argument. Neither does your plugin argument, I was referring to general optimization plugins that simply add the fields and process your content to derive useful description/keyword results and help with other minor things on ones site.

I used the plugins example to reference my previous statement of how one can 'automate' many of the daunting tasks that one is otherwise forced to manually edit them were they to use a HTML template.

I agree with you fully when it comes to:
Quote:
They need to take the time to research what is the best way to proceed for their site. Most don't though.
But i disagree with the other statement you slipped in there:
Quote:
They just barrel ahead or let themselves be talked into what ever technology of the day is
Regardless of that underhand statement that leads some to possibly assume 'all modern technology is the work of the devil' I'm still not seeing any validity in your comments that backs up or supports your comment, the one I initially quoted as part of this discussion.

Ii don't get how Wordpress is not easier to optimize than HTML sites. I have explained how it is, you have yet to show/explain directly, how WP is not easier to optimize or why you made that statement. It's misleading, that's pretty much all I wanted to point out.

Finally, as I stated before, moving an existing HTML site over to a CMS can turn into a nightmare, I said that and you obviously back me up (which contradicts your statement that "A new or existing site HTML site can have a "CMS" without using Wordpress or any of the other "in" CMS." but I'm not going to get held up over that) - point being, if you plan on expanding your site into anything more than a few page landing site or something, then you really should think of a more convenient, less time consuming, automated, effective (+ some other positive adjectives) method.

You can't expect someone starting out, or with moderate experience to take on the task of running a HTML site, constantly updating content, optimizing it etc, and argue that starting off and doing everything using WP or a number of other effective CMS's is not easier. That's unrealistic and makes no sense based on the very points I mentioned and things you even stated.

Those are my 2 cents, if you want to keep promoting the use of HTML sites and get your new members to go down that route, that's on you, you obviously promote HTML with your sites/avatar so I'm not trying to stop you in any way. Simple pointing out that Wordpress sites, and other CMS driven ones are easier to optimize than HTML sites (which was your initial statement).

That's all homie, fun discussion but based on your last reply I think I'll stop here, no point in having this turn into an argument seeing as how you're set on your ways and unwilling to seeing the logic behind some of the points I brought to your attention

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby