Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum > Blog Promotion

Blog Promotion Discuss how to promote blogs here.

Share |
Old 03-09-2013, 03:52 AM

What to blog about for traffic?

When it comes to blogging, what attracts readers for whatever niche you're blogging about? Don't go slagging me off here if this is a stupid question but like lets pretend you're going to blog in the review niche, you know you're going to review products, sites, movies, games, restaurants you go to and tooth paste you use, just review everything like.

What I'm asking is what do you blog about so that you build readers? Just the reviews themselves? Is there something specific you need to do?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 05:05 AM
Contributing Member

There's no such thing as a stupid question I think.

I'm no pro when it comes to blogging, but I believe giving people the latest info available is a great way to build a reader base. That or blogging about something in your niche that no one has blogged before.

So for the review niche, I would write about the latest products on the market. However, you can either choose to blog about every product, or a select few. Technology, books, games, films, etc.

Whatever it is you blog about, make sure you target your readers as much as you can. I use twitter, reddit, google plus and other social sites to do so.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:09 AM

Nathan isn't wrong, his advise is sound and I like how he points out that people do indeed like to find the latest info and such regarding certain niches. I also like how he points out to blog about something no one has blogged about. Let's be real though, what havent people blogged about? Know what I mean?

I do admire your enthusiasm and I guess your passion too.

Look, instead of me explaining this to you, let me ask you something, and answer the question for me right? So, I'm sure you read different blogs, maybe you're not a frequent reader of many but those blogs you do read, why do you read them? Now, before you answer this, think of a few different things - do you really just read those blogs because maybe they have the latest news on something you find interesting? Or is it how those bloggers write, maybe it's who the bloggers are?

I'm going to bet that while you might say because of the content, and while you would be right to say that, if you really think about it, you'll see that it's because of the authors. At least that's how it is for me. The tech blogs I visit and the marketing ones I read every day, I do so because of the authors of those blogs, even though that are thousands of other similar blogs providing similar content. Some of my favorite blogs and other peoples are our favorites not purely because of the content but because of how they were written, because of the authors, the bloggers themselves.

Build a name for yourself, a reputation, and while you do that keep publishing content that is YOU, don't write for people, don't add content you think people want to read, sure that helps, but start by writing for yourself, write things you love to write about, that will show in your articles, for your blog to stand out it needs to have it's own unique feel, you almost need to give it a character.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:05 AM
Contributing Member

Brilliant input Perky, that is a very valid point and I have never thought of it as: 'So, who wrote it?'.

I will try to give my posts more personality in the future to make my posts shine a little more!

Thanks.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:51 AM

Nathan and Perky thank you dudes, both of you have given me more than I expected for an answer here, real eye opener I can tell you that! Be myself, post things in my own style, don't post old news and content that has been done a million times before. I got you, thanks a lot mates!

Old 03-12-2013, 12:06 AM

I agree, stupid are those who think the question is stupid because they cant answer it. Well for me, i think one should blog for something that interest people and they enjoy reading the different style of content producing such a particular content niche. I can give a example of my own that i m blogging since 2009 about cell phones because i know people to hear about cell phones and special the latest one.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:05 AM
v7n Mentor

TheIRish,

You have gotten some really great advice here. I just wanted to point out that many people are eluding to the same concept. In order to get a devout following to your blog (and hence a lot of traffic), you have to make something useful for readers. People visit websites and blogs because they fulfill some need. Someone might go to Facebook because their friends are on there. Someone might go to their banking site two or three times per week because they can look at their balance.

You have to provide some kind of value and in the blogging arena, this means giving out uncommon information that is genuinely helpful for your audience. So if you are starting a blog to review products, make these reviews really in-depth and powerful. What I mean by that is create content that is so thorough and thoughtful that people won’t need to go anywhere else for information on the subject. Case in point. There is a blog online called the Watch Report. The guy reviews different models of watches on his blog. I have no idea what kind of following he has but he make video reviews, through descriptions, tons of high quality images and you can tell that he is really passionate about what he is doing.
http://www.watchreport.com/

What I would recommend you don’t do is just search the web for information and regergiate it on your blog. A lot of people do that and it is not a good way to make something that will have an impact. Of course sometimes this will suffice but if you want to do this professionally or make any money off it, you will have to think outside the box and create content that others in the niche aren’t coming up with.

Hope that helps,

Shawn

Old 03-27-2013, 10:05 AM
Contributing Member

You can promote you blog by just doing three step. First Create great content and informative. Second Update the content regularly or mostly after 1, 2 days. Third Submit your blog to related blog directories.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:42 AM
Contributing Member

When blogging the things I always consider are these two, writing about something I know that I am interested in so that I have the knowledge and I understand what I am talking about but also something that I know others will be interested about such as the latest gadget, the latest TV shows or even the latest games. Once you have something you enjoy writing about and you have a great interest in then you need to find an audience who also will be interested in what you have to offer, gaining followers that like a specific TV show you talk about or a specific genre of game you are talking about are all great ways to start. Sharing your articles to your followers on Twitter and Facebook and also sharing to StumbleUpon and Digg are great ways to increase traffic and interest in your blog and articles.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum > Blog Promotion