Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Google Forum Discuss Google related issues.


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
  #1  
Old 06-21-2011, 08:14 AM
snakeair snakeair is offline
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018
 
Join Date: 12-31-07
Location: Medford, NJ
Posts: 54,771
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Google’s Panda 2.2 Is Live and It’s Hungry!

The Zoo is getting a little wild right now. I'm going to retire the old panda thread. Hopefully this new update will fix the problems Google created in the first update. Some sites got hit and they did not deserve it. Some sites should of got nailed and didn't. Check out the blog post below and additional link i provided before responding.

Quote:
Aren’t pandas supposed to be cuddly and cute? My youngest daughter has a stuffed one and she looks so cute holding it and hugging it.

Well, in the world of SEO the panda are mean and angry and it likes to feast on what comes from content farms (which means their diet is pretty terrible).

According to Barry Schwartz over at Search Engine Land the latest version of Google’s Panda update is in the wild so SEO’s can tighten their seat belts to see if this ride is as scary as the other Panda versions.
Continued at: http://www.marketingpilgrim.com/2011...ts-hungry.html

Here is the blog post from Search Engine Land to read. http://searchengineland.com/official...-is-live-82611

Your thoughts on this update? Keep in mind over the next few days to few weeks, there will be more detailed information about panda 2.2 coming out.
 

Advertisement

Advertisement

  #2  
Old 06-21-2011, 08:31 AM
NEvErTrY4ME's Avatar
NEvErTrY4ME NEvErTrY4ME is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 06-21-11
Posts: 56
iTrader: 0 / 0%
I am just wondering about the eCommerce portals tose have different version based on country wise. For example, the impact of this update on (say) eBay.com, eBay.co.uk, eBay.co.in etc etc...

Would be thankful for a suitable reponse in this regard.
 
  #3  
Old 06-21-2011, 01:57 PM
jhoanna's Avatar
jhoanna jhoanna is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 01-02-09
Posts: 547
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Well, yes. A lot of directories are in trouble today because of that. My blogs are still the same, still getting the same amount of traffic and still have the same rankings.

I do like the idea of targeting content farms, I am so tired of getting the same content/info from my search results. The content are either the same or rewritten, and it's really annoying.

Google is still updating their panda, and will continue updating it for as long as Google likes it. I don't think this hungry and scary panda will leave us anytime soon.
 
  #4  
Old 06-21-2011, 10:06 PM
sallygirl sallygirl is offline
No Longer Active
 
Join Date: 03-12-11
Posts: 387
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Just to give some update here, as some of you already know one of my websites got slaughtered in the Panda update, while all other went up. I can confirm the website hit by the first Panda has been hit again losing around another 20% of traffic. After just now spending an hour doing searches on Google I can also confirm that websites that STOLE my content are still ranking in the top 10 in Google and some have now even gained number 1 in the serps. Once again Google have stuffed up and seem unable to identify who the original content belongs to.

On a side note I have had 2 very big increases in 2 other websites by as much as 50%.

Third, after the original Panda I set up a scrapper website as a test on google, all content is scrapped. Its getting good traffic from Google and picking up nicely in the serps.
 
  #5  
Old 06-22-2011, 01:05 AM
DigitalWorkshop DigitalWorkshop is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 06-15-11
Location: Stratford-upon-Avon
Posts: 29
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Our key site lost a lot of traffic but has since rebounded but our serp still stinks even for our company name!

I think there is a fundamental issue with the way Google assesses keywords on a site and how quickly it changes its mind when content shifts emphasis but this is probably not to do with The Panda. I think its just a lot of reassessment going on and once Google has made a few rounds of the sites it will all settle down. Just an opinion from a non-expert.

Paul
 
  #6  
Old 06-22-2011, 01:16 AM
deepsand's Avatar
deepsand deepsand is offline
Rest In Peace 1946 – 2013
 
Join Date: 01-14-10
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 14,946
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEvErTrY4ME View Post
I am just wondering about the eCommerce portals tose have different version based on country wise. For example, the impact of this update on (say) eBay.com, eBay.co.uk, eBay.co.in etc etc...

Would be thankful for a suitable reponse in this regard.
There were some data re. the effects on UK-centric SERPs in the 1st Panda thread here, Google's Farmer Algorithm Update.

__________________
 
  #7  
Old 06-22-2011, 02:29 AM
seo9 seo9 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: 01-13-11
Location: UK
Posts: 39
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallygirl View Post
Third, after the original Panda I set up a scrapper website as a test on google, all content is scrapped. Its getting good traffic from Google and picking up nicely in the serps.
That says it all really. I don't think they will ever perfect their algorithm without lots of manual intervention.
 
  #8  
Old 06-22-2011, 02:38 AM
deepsand's Avatar
deepsand deepsand is offline
Rest In Peace 1946 – 2013
 
Join Date: 01-14-10
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 14,946
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by seo9 View Post
That says it all really. I don't think they will ever perfect their algorithm without lots of manual intervention.
In which case it will no longer be an algorithm, but simply the kludge of the moment.

__________________
 
  #9  
Old 06-22-2011, 06:01 AM
sallygirl sallygirl is offline
No Longer Active
 
Join Date: 03-12-11
Posts: 387
iTrader: 0 / 0%
In the end im starting to lose interest in Google traffic altogether. Im seeing higher and higher amounts of traffic coming my way from Social Networks all the time. Since Panda I have been actively "begging" my users to add my articles to Facebook, etc. And I can tell you its working. People are linking my websites now between 300 to 500 times a day on social networks. This month alone one website has received 120,000 visitors from social networks and another 12,000. 12 months ago I would not have even got 100 visitors a month from social networks.

Now, have a read of this....Here is some interesting statistics that may give us Webmasters a view of the next several years....
"FOR the first time ever, people in the US are spending more time using mobile phone apps than browsing the web."

What makes this so interesting to Social Networking is this, "32 per cent of app use was spent on social networks"

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/t...-1226080069864

We are in a changing web and it may just be that search engines like google are going to take a big hit.

Social networks are better for webmasters because there are just so many of them.
Im already about to launch my own Social Network and I can drive more then 1 million users a month to it from my own websites.

In the end all this Panda may amount to nothing in 3 years from now.

I dumped adwords, I dumped Adsense, I actively promote Firefox, SPWare browsers, and other search engines.

For all Googles gloss, in the end Panda is nothing more then a despotic regimes last ditch stand.
 
  #10  
Old 06-22-2011, 08:26 AM
seo9 seo9 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: 01-13-11
Location: UK
Posts: 39
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsand View Post
In which case it will no longer be an algorithm, but simply the kludge of the moment.
Quite right. What I should have said is:

I don't think they will ever perfect their algorithm, there will always be the need for manual intervention in their quest for better results!

 
  #11  
Old 06-22-2011, 11:01 PM
deepsand's Avatar
deepsand deepsand is offline
Rest In Peace 1946 – 2013
 
Join Date: 01-14-10
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 14,946
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by seo9 View Post
Quite right. What I should have said is:

I don't think they will ever perfect their algorithm, there will always be the need for manual intervention in their quest for better results!
Their problem lies in the fact that they've allowed their algo. to become to complicated, using too many input variables, too many intermediate variables that are co-dependent, such that they can no longer know with any reasonable degree of certainty how a seemingly small change will affect the results across the universe of input data.

Their algo. is at this point a massive heap of patches on patches on patches ... .

They have by their own hand condemned themselves to being the victims of unintended consequences.

Only a complete redesign from scratch can get them out of the swamp.

__________________
 
  #12  
Old 06-23-2011, 01:09 AM
logoonlinepros's Avatar
logoonlinepros logoonlinepros is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 09-02-10
Posts: 323
iTrader: 0 / 0%
The Panda 2.2 doesn't effect my site even the other update version of panda doesn't effect more. When the google announce panda first version its totally effect 25% site on search engine SERP results.
 
  #13  
Old 06-23-2011, 01:47 AM
Soft's Avatar
Soft Soft is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 06-04-11
Location: Denmark
Posts: 66
iTrader: 0 / 0%
I´m looking forwarded to it.!

The last update gave my pagerank checker an increase in hit by about 20%
My danish currency rates / converter site, has gotten an increase by about 500 to 650 hits a day.

My theme blog has gotten an increase also, but that might just be due to two new themes at Wordpress.

But even my link directory has increase.!
 
  #14  
Old 06-23-2011, 02:21 AM
sallygirl sallygirl is offline
No Longer Active
 
Join Date: 03-12-11
Posts: 387
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsand View Post
Their problem lies in the fact that they've allowed their algo. to become to complicated, using too many input variables, too many intermediate variables that are co-dependent, such that they can no longer know with any reasonable degree of certainty how a seemingly small change will affect the results across the universe of input data.

Their algo. is at this point a massive heap of patches on patches on patches ... .

They have by their own hand condemned themselves to being the victims of unintended consequences.

Only a complete redesign from scratch can get them out of the swamp.

__________________
I think you are right on this and I was thinking the same. Too many signals their looking for and patch after patch after patch.
 
  #15  
Old 06-23-2011, 07:50 PM
deepsand's Avatar
deepsand deepsand is offline
Rest In Peace 1946 – 2013
 
Join Date: 01-14-10
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 14,946
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soft View Post
I´m looking forwarded to it.!

The last update gave my pagerank checker an increase in hit by about 20%
My danish currency rates / converter site, has gotten an increase by about 500 to 650 hits a day.

My theme blog has gotten an increase also, but that might just be due to two new themes at Wordpress.

But even my link directory has increase.!
Hm-mm; did you get lost?

The Farmer/Panda updates involved changes to the SERP algorithm, which has nothing to do with PageRank.

__________________
 
  #16  
Old 06-23-2011, 11:57 PM
karmadir karmadir is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: 05-03-08
Location: India
Posts: 387
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Smile Quite right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallygirl View Post
In the end im starting to lose interest in Google traffic altogether. Im seeing higher and higher amounts of traffic coming my way from Social Networks all the time. Since Panda I have been actively "begging" my users to add my articles to Facebook, etc. And I can tell you its working. People are linking my websites now between 300 to 500 times a day on social networks. This month alone one website has received 120,000 visitors from social networks and another 12,000. 12 months ago I would not have even got 100 visitors a month from social networks.

Now, have a read of this....Here is some interesting statistics that may give us Webmasters a view of the next several years....
"FOR the first time ever, people in the US are spending more time using mobile phone apps than browsing the web."

What makes this so interesting to Social Networking is this, "32 per cent of app use was spent on social networks"

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/t...-1226080069864

We are in a changing web and it may just be that search engines like google are going to take a big hit.

Social networks are better for webmasters because there are just so many of them.
Im already about to launch my own Social Network and I can drive more then 1 million users a month to it from my own websites.

In the end all this Panda may amount to nothing in 3 years from now.

I dumped adwords, I dumped Adsense, I actively promote Firefox, SPWare browsers, and other search engines.

For all Googles gloss, in the end Panda is nothing more then a despotic regimes last ditch stand.

You are quite right, Facebook is giving tough competition to google nowadays?

Infact for first time their search query have gone below 90% in US, that's why they are becoming more and more strict while ranking websites.
 
  #17  
Old 06-24-2011, 12:05 AM
deepsand's Avatar
deepsand deepsand is offline
Rest In Peace 1946 – 2013
 
Join Date: 01-14-10
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 14,946
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmadir View Post
Infact for first time their search query have gone below 90% in US, that's why they are becoming more and more strict while ranking websites.
Please explain.

__________________
 
  #18  
Old 06-24-2011, 06:25 AM
banless's Avatar
banless banless is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 06-08-06
Location: Seattle
Posts: 235
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by logoonlinepros View Post
The Panda 2.2 doesn't effect my site even the other update version of panda doesn't effect more.
I agree with you, I have never had an issue with any of the updates for the most part. The thing is, these updates are only applying to sites that like to use other peoples content, so if you run a daily news blog or article directory then you are most likely going to have problems.

The only way to beat this update is to become a better scrapper.
 
  #19  
Old 06-24-2011, 09:40 PM
Caspir Caspir is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 06-22-11
Posts: 67
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Facebook in these days making things difficult for yahoo, that's why they have bringing some changes in their system. This change is also part of that.
 
  #20  
Old 06-24-2011, 09:48 PM
deepsand's Avatar
deepsand deepsand is offline
Rest In Peace 1946 – 2013
 
Join Date: 01-14-10
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 14,946
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by banless View Post
I agree with you, I have never had an issue with any of the updates for the most part. The thing is, these updates are only applying to sites that like to use other peoples content, so if you run a daily news blog or article directory then you are most likely going to have problems.

The only way to beat this update is to become a better scrapper.
Have you completely missed the numerous reports of copied content supplanting the original in the SERPs?

__________________
 
Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Social Connection between Google Panda and Google +1 snakeair SEO Forum 2 04-25-2011 08:48 PM
What is Google panda? Elvin Google Forum 4 04-08-2011 07:31 AM
Google - The Hungry Beast Trying Very Hard Not To Be Evil mjtaylor Controversial Social Issues 7 03-12-2010 06:27 PM


V7N Network
Get exposure! V7N I Love Photography V7N SEO Blog V7N Directory


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:08 PM.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
Copyright © 2003 - 2018 VIX-WomensForum LLC