Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Online Business Forum

Online Business Forum General online business related topics including ecommerce, customer related issues, home based business challenges & tips, etc.

Share |
Old 06-18-2011, 04:02 AM

Lightbulb Should I allow music at workplace?

Dear all,

Here is a confusion, I wanted to increase the productivity of my employees. I want them to feel that the environment is good and they can chill out during work still be sincere at work.

Do you think allowing them to play a soft music at low volume will help to bring homely and friendly environment?

Do you have any other suggestions... please share...

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-18-2011, 03:33 PM
Administrator

I read once that having music playing at work helps pass time. I use to have a radio playing (softly) on my desk at the places I worked outside home and it certainly did help. I mostly worked on my own so I could listen to what ever I liked.

If you were going to do this and there are a lot people involved I would:
  • Make it one music source instead of everyone having their own radio/player going. The end result would be more distracting than soothing I would think.
  • Try and find a music source that plays different types of music. Maybe not by the original artist, but lots of variety so most are ok with it. Consider what you hear in the malls playing or other offices you visit.
  • Avoid the style of music that is loud by nature. Might not go over well with the younger generation in the office but hey, they wouldn't like it if the oldies got their way with classical music either.

This all reminds me how much I miss music playing in the background and that I should really get the stereo hooked up in my home office.

Last edited by HTMLBasicTutor; 06-19-2011 at 12:09 AM.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy_r View Post
Dear all,

Here is a confusion, I wanted to increase the productivity of my employees. I want them to feel that the environment is good and they can chill out during work still be sincere at work.

Do you think allowing them to play a soft music at low volume will help to bring homely and friendly environment?

Do you have any other suggestions... please share...
I have worked for the same company for over 11 years now and everyday us tech's can listen to the radio if it's not blasting at full volume. Us co-workers have to show some respect with the volume level even though we can play music all night.

I turn mine up just enough to hear the music but not to loud that the person in the next work zone hears it and then turns his up louder. That would lead to the manager asking to turn the volume down or take the radio away for a few days.

Our company has tours for existing clients and potential new clients so when this happens we have to have all radio's OFF. We still want the workplace to be a professional enviroment when tours come through. Having multiple radios blasting is not a good impression. This is our policy at work and i feel that being able to listen to the radio or even a sports game on the radio at work keeps me motivated all day.

Just be sure to set some ground rules with the music. You want your staff to still work hard and do there jobs but they can still listen to some tunes at a low volume.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:21 PM
No Longer Active

For me I can't concentrate on my work when there is a distraction. So no no for people like me. Maybe you can discuss with your employees. And the type of work done in your office will also matter IMO.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:49 PM

I did it and it worked very well......
Found out that we had numerous mini entertainment systems in the evidence room.....
They were ready to go to auction.....(sold for too cheap to matter)
So.....I had them distributed throughout the agency.....(some restrictions as to volume and music type)
Had a lot more smiles around the office....overall production was up.....

In fact, I allowed my deputies to install music systems in their patrol cars...again with some limitations...more smiles

The following Christmas, they bought me a top grade CD player for my car......

Happy employees are productive employees.....plus they may start to believe that the boss is really a human.....))

Side note.......I commonly "watch" TV while I work on my computer....

Old 06-19-2011, 12:32 AM

If it doesn't distract some of your workers from their work then it's a good idea, otherwise you can ask the employees to use headphones and in that way those who don't want to listen to music won't get distracted.

Some people want to do chatting and they say that it helps them in their productivity although i highly doubt it, but I've seen people who perform well on their jobs if they do chatting and browsing on side.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:01 AM
Contributing Member

When I worked at IBM I used to have work sessions where myself and some friends from entirely different departments would all go to the cafeteria for coffee and a snack with our laptops. We'd chat over the tops of our computers as we hacked through some project.

My manager knew about it and was always shocked at how much work we would get done.

If you have good employees, freedom will only make them work harder. If you have ****ty employees, they will abuse the freedom.

Of course, I'm a firm believer in the scientific method. Let them play music and see how it goes.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:16 AM

Yep even I listen to soft music while working. I should add up in productivity unless you are not disturbing person next to you.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:20 AM
Contributing Member

The easy solution is to let the employees bring in iPods or other personal music listening devices if they want to listen to music while working.

I also worked at IBM for 15 years as a software developer and in my department we weren't permitted to listen to music unless it was through headphones.

Recently, I worked at an internet startup company where they let employees dress the way they wanted and listen to music a their desks. It was nothing but a distraction. One VB programmer thought he was the DJ and spent his days organizing playlists instead of getting any work done. It was a mess and the company failed miserably.

While I believe in encouraging employee happiness, the truth is they are still at work.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post
Recently, I worked at an internet startup company where they let employees dress the way they wanted and listen to music a their desks. It was nothing but a distraction. One VB programmer thought he was the DJ and spent his days organizing playlists instead of getting any work done. It was a mess and the company failed miserably.
I would say it's probably best to just put an agreed upon radio station on rather than allow people to choose their own music.

Personally, if I'm reading something heavy then it's got to be peace and quiet, otherwise music is great.

I'd try it and see how they get on... but if it leads to them arguing which station to listen to ...

Old 06-23-2011, 03:31 PM

Just giving a +1 for headphones. I share a studio office with 5 other people and we all use headphones when we want to focus on a specific task. Sometimes I just wear my headphones because I want to block out all other distractions.

As a result I have seen my disturbances (chatter, interruptions etc) go down and my productivity increase.

You can also Google the "Pomodoro technique". As combining headphones and this strategy will see you work faster than ever before.

Hope that helps
MB

Old 06-23-2011, 03:46 PM
Contributing Member

Yes you should, I know for me as a employee music helps me work better, and get through the day staying stress free.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:10 AM
Contributing Member

Yes. Employees will get internal relaxation. Music is One of the main technique to become employee friendly.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:15 AM
Contributing Member

We have music in my office. We have installed winamp server extension so everyone can play whatever they want to play and if someone wants the volume up or down they can do it themselves

Old 06-24-2011, 01:13 AM

It depends on the nature of the work done in your office, if it requires a lot of attention than music can distract them but if it is not then music can really make them more relaxed at work and eventually their productivity will increase.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:55 AM
Contributing Member

No, it would be very bad idea. People can't concentrate when there's background sound. Not to mention it's unprofessional, it's like wearing flip-flop to the office.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g36 View Post
No, it would be very bad idea. People can't concentrate when there's background sound. Not to mention it's unprofessional, it's like wearing flip-flop to the office.
As long as you aren't customer facing (and of course, in this day and age, there's no health and safety issues ...), what's the problem with flip flops? They are very hygienic

Old 06-27-2011, 07:35 PM

Another thought..
We tried music at the bomb range..
But..every time the dynamite went off the needle skipped on the record.....

Old 06-27-2011, 07:43 PM
Banned

I think it will help because they will not get bored

Old 06-27-2011, 09:59 PM
Contributing Member

My office is 24*7 and I have to work in odd hours.Music is the mantra for everyone out here and it helps us stay focused,keeps us awake and lets us enjoy our work though we have the supervisor playing it for us.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Online Business Forum