Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 10-11-2013, 09:27 AM
v7n Mentor

How Have You Improved a Site's Bounce Rate?

While writing today’s SEO Tip on improving bounce rates,(Need to Improve Bounce Rate? Stay True to Content) I had a closer look at a new client site to see what I could do with the meta description to make it more truly match the content. I have been working on this site for about 6 months now, and have concentrated on getting the site into the first page of Google for some critical terms. And I had only given a cursory look at the description for the home page. The site’ traffic has more than doubled so the bounce rate means more than it did when I started this project. The meta was lacking in a call to action and mentioned a feature but not a benefit.

Here’s the old description:
The Key West Charter Boat Association is located at Key West City Marina at Garrison Bight in Key West, Fl. For over 30 years, men and women charter boat captains have dedicated their lives to the promotion and preservation of sport fishing. At this site, you may book directly with the captain.
Here’s the new one I’m testing:
Charters to suit every angler: from deep sea to flats fishing, light tackle to party boats. Book directly and save $ with 30+ captains on Charter Boat Row.
I’m not sharing this to get feedback, though if you have constructive criticism, I'm all ears. Instead, I am hoping you will share specific things you’ve done to improve bounce rate on your site or a landing page.

Let’s learn from one another.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-11-2013, 10:52 AM
Contributing Member

To reduce bounce rate of website, i always Follow neil patel rule to put most effective and useful content (that most of user looking for), at the top of the site. Manytimes it helps me alot.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:13 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanjiKidaji View Post
To reduce bounce rate of website, i always Follow neil patel rule to put most effective and useful content (that most of user looking for), at the top of the site. Manytimes it helps me alot.
Can you be more specific? What was the content that you moved? Or resource? How did you know that content was what should be moved? Did phone calls or sales increase?

Old 10-12-2013, 11:26 AM
Contributing Member

I use this method on my friend's website about our city tourist places, Site is ranking very well in google but bounce rate is high. then we make some changes in design. we place some main data in the header bar. So people who are looking for them can find all Information easily without scrolling down the page. Because many people don't want scroll.

Changes Done -
1. Social Links and Contact No for booking Placed Next to logo.
2. 3 Main Tourist Spot Just below the Menu bar. (Sub Menu Created)
3. Change Menu Fonts.

These changes decrease bounce rate and also increase phone calls for more details about places and booking.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:36 AM
Contributing Member

To lower the bounce rate of any site the content of the site has to very catchy and good. And also good deep linking between the different internal pages within the site of related topics.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:42 AM

Hi,
I think to reduce bounce rate of any site we need to add content which user searches for , if we can that content in our site then definitely we can reduce bounce rate of our site.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:49 AM
Banned

your contain should be effective which is easy to understandable for user.your site should be also good looking. then user come and stay long time.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:40 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb1129 View Post
To lower the bounce rate of any site the content of the site has to very catchy and good. And also good deep linking between the different internal pages within the site of related topics.
What is "good" deep linking? Can you give me some specific examples?

Quote:
Originally Posted by probytes View Post
Hi,
I think to reduce bounce rate of any site we need to add content which user searches for , if we can that content in our site then definitely we can reduce bounce rate of our site.
I think we know that already, but details on the way you did this on a site of your own is what I am looking for here, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjay1 View Post
your contain should be effective which is easy to understandable for user.your site should be also good looking. then user come and stay long time.
Folks, please share your actual experience with improving the bounce rate on a specific site. Thanks.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:32 AM
Contributing Member

Here is an add : try to add related posts as well to your pages.

Here is a powerful way to reduce bounce rate that most of online marketers won't tell you :

=) Make some videos and add them to your pages, the video must be at least superior from the bounce rate record. You understand it , the more you add long videos =) less bounce rate..

Old 10-14-2013, 06:39 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HostGarou View Post
Here is an add : try to add related posts as well to your pages.

Here is a powerful way to reduce bounce rate that most of online marketers won't tell you :

=) Make some videos and add them to your pages, the video must be at least superior from the bounce rate record. You understand it , the more you add long videos =) less bounce rate..
A video is a good idea - but they might still leave the page after viewing the video. The bounce rate isn't about the time spent on a page (which is what I assume you meant by the text I bolded) but about whether someone clicks away from site without viewing a second page.

So, maybe you want to offer a link to videos elsewhere on the site?

Old 10-14-2013, 06:59 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtaylor View Post
Yeah, it's a good idea!

Also, try to put a description under the video (2 or 3 lignes not more) where you call the visitors to visit a link in your description for more useful and interesting resources, always redirect them visitors to other pages. CALL TO ACTION that's it!

This also can be done as I told you before, by adding more related pages or post or whatever you call them in the bottom of your pages, I mean for more resources to visit.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:23 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
What is "good" deep linking? Can you give me some specific examples?

I think we know that already, but details on the way you did this on a site of your own is what I am looking for here, please.

Folks, please share your actual experience with improving the bounce rate on a specific site. Thanks.
As you have asked good deep linking means inserting internal links to the post which are relevant and related to the post content. And also i will recommend to create a "Related posts" panel to the side of the post or at the end(bottom) of the post. This will exposure more links to your different pages more.

Quote:
A video is a good idea - but they might still leave the page after viewing the video. The bounce rate isn't about the time spent on a page (which is what I assume you meant by the text I bolded) but about whether someone clicks away from site without viewing a second page.

Yeah, i totally agree with mitaylor that visitors may leave the page once viewing the video, no matter how long you made the video your bounce rate will sty still be high, rather you can add "Hot topics or Best Viewing topics & Latest topics" panel along with "related posts" panel.

Last edited by snakeair; 10-15-2013 at 09:31 PM. Reason: use multi-quote feature

Old 10-16-2013, 09:25 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
As you have asked good deep linking means inserting internal links to the post which are relevant and related to the post content.
Um, thanks ...but I didn't ask you to define deep linking. I asked for "specific examples" of "good" deep linking.

Quote:
... recommend to create a "Related posts" panel to the side of the post or at the end(bottom) of the post. This will exposure more links to your different pages more.
That is a good idea.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:42 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Um, thanks ...but I didn't ask you to define deep linking. I asked for "specific examples" of "good" deep linking.

That is a good idea.
Good deep linking examples as can i say that suppose anybody is writing a blog about baseball. And the post is about something like a game then while writing about the game suppose he/she had mentioned the word bats, balls or helmets. In this case the good deep linking will be that if the writer hyperlink those words by urls such as "Know more about bats or know more about helmets" etc.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
While writing today’s SEO Tip on improving bounce rates, Need to Improve Bounce Rate? Stay True to Content[/URL]) I had a closer look at a new client site to see what I could do with the meta description to make it more truly match the content. I have been working on this site for about 6 months now, and have concentrated on getting the site into the first page of Google for some critical terms. And I had only given a cursory look at the description for the home page. The site’ traffic has more than doubled so the bounce rate means more than it did when I started this project. The meta was lacking in a call to action and mentioned a feature but not a benefit.

Here’s the old description:
The Key West Charter Boat Association is located at Key West City Marina at Garrison Bight in Key West, Fl. For over 30 years, men and women charter boat captains have dedicated their lives to the promotion and preservation of sport fishing. At this site, you may book directly with the captain.
Here’s the new one I’m testing:
Charters to suit every angler: from deep sea to flats fishing, light tackle to party boats. Book directly and save $ with 30+ captains on Charter Boat Row.
I’m not sharing this to get feedback, though if you have constructive criticism, I'm all ears. Instead, I am hoping you will share specific things you’ve done to improve bounce rate on your site or a landing page.

Let’s learn from one another.
Hey Taylor,

I am not sure how you can reduce the bounce rate just by having relevant or compelling meta descriptipn. But yes i agree it could increase the click through rate, which in turn directly helps in reducing bounce rate.

I used to embed videos, infographics, images, free bies to get my website visitors get engaged.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:36 AM

I find that if a page is basically only image content above the fold then people would actually rather bounce then scroll down, you see this a lot on blog posts with a large feature image. Sounds stupid, but massive images can be pretty obnoxious.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:54 AM

If website has less content, no images and video than probably website experience high bounce rate.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashish897 View Post
If website has less content, no images and video than probably website experience high bounce rate.
Thoughts on the thread creators opening post?

Old 10-18-2013, 07:30 AM
Contributing Member

What I do now is I take advantage of Google Analytics visitors flow chart. I observe carefully what pages get the most traffic.

Though I am not able to detect how long a user would stay to those pages that got the most number of visits, I can say however that there's something that catches their attention.

That way, I improve the quality of the contents as much as possible. This takes quite a long time though, and a lot of observation. But I can say that it's worth it on my part.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:16 PM
Contributing Member

One of the problems that I had was a disorganized site. I noticed a lot of users were using the search bar and then leaving after they would search. I've since cleaned up the categories and made the site easier to navigate. Clicky is a free script that also shows a heatmap of where your users are clicking.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum