Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management

Forum Management Discuss forum management topics including forum software, mods & plugins, developing high quality interactive communities, advertising revenue, forum security, dealing with spam, and more. Ideal for forum owners, administrators, and moderators.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 09-27-2013, 06:16 PM
Banned

How Forums Help in SEO?

Forums are helping in seo too and solving issues too. I want to know how forums work in the SEO field?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-30-2013, 11:11 AM
Contributing Member

Jeff, the answer boils down to one simple reply: User contributed relevant content to the site.

If you're running a sports website, you're really not going to have someone come in and make a lot of posts related to web development stuff.

As long as the user-contributed content matches the overall intent/nature of the site, most search engines will classify it correctly.

Hopefully you're using a well written/developed forum system, too.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:51 AM
Banned

I have experience working on forums but I have see that lot of spammer are available to spam your forums. There is no actual participant on forum. Mostly joined the forums base on SEO working to get more traffic. When I have not traffic and less people so Mostly participant focus on link building.

I don't like this. I want some other thing.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:15 PM
Contributing Member

It's a tough segment to get into when your forums are centered around SEO. Most people do see that as an opportunity to spam yet another site with their silly little links in order to bolster traffic to their own site and to get better backlinks. Twitter and even another hosting/tech site have figured a way around this by using the rel="nofollow" addendum to all user contributed links. I think vBulletin has a modification/hack for that somewhere within their customer area, and it's programmable at a per membergroup level, so as people earn their way up to the top, they're no longer "constrained" by that.

Have you also implemented some anti-spam controls to cut down on automated spammers? I would also suggest that you get extremely aggressive about banning people that spam and remove posts that are spammish in nature. Heck, V7N is extremely quick at this. (Props to the Mods here!)

Again, when running an SEO oriented website, it's hard to have a forum that doesn't garner attention from these imbeciles.

Old 10-06-2013, 02:58 PM
Contributing Member

Spam is a huge issue in the webmaster/SEO/webhosting forum market but it can be avoided if you are zealous enough.

My biggest advice is to have a strong staff presence. If you have 2-3 moderators on at all hours of the day in shifts, you can remove the spam easily. And make sure you use Captcha's to keep the spam bots out. They are the worse and the clean up will make you lose your mind.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:46 PM
Banned

Forum posting is a nice place to share knowledge and get knowledge about any topic, just go to relevant forum and start discussion, many member on form every time ready to discuss on any topic. And in seo point of view forum give us back links to site.

Last edited by pooja_thakur; 10-06-2013 at 11:55 PM.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:50 PM
Banned

Its true that Forum Posting is really interesting and Knowledgeable work. Forums are helping in SEO. So now a day more people are joining the forums. Mostly are joining it for SEO purpose not for getting Knowledge from here.

I am using forums from last 4 years when I start my career and I learned the value of forum posting. How expert deliver and help you with out any charging

Old 10-08-2013, 01:08 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsmitth View Post
Forums are helping in SEO.
Forum posting helps very little, if anything at all these days if anyone is following the algo updates with Google, for example. And, if people understood this fact, the next comment I make below, would be moot.

Quote:
So now a day more people are joining the forums. Mostly are joining it for SEO purpose
That would be sad, because it doesn't help much for SEO.

Quote:
... not for getting Knowledge from here.
The reason to join a forum such as this is to learn and help others. If the majority of members join just to obtain signature links, it follows that the quality of discussions will decline. And, no one learns much other than to repeat what the uniformed are repeating, which is something they heard somewhere else, rather than qualify it with experience or testing. It's a vicious circle.

Quote:
I am using forums from last 4 years when I start my career and I learned the value of forum posting.
Good luck with that.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:23 AM
Banned

Its true that few people joined the forum just for helping others. It is enough to learn more because for helping purpose they learn what points are, why issue will be and like that.

No doubt that forums are big source for learning any thing

Old 10-10-2013, 03:12 AM
Contributing Member

You can't use a hammer to screw in a screw and you can't use a screwdriver to hammer a nail.

Forums and SEO are different worlds, with different goals and different results.

Forum is a tool for building a community, a group. Forum is a website where your visitors talk to each other, not a tool for SEO. Just compare the amount of work and the results from a forum as a SEO tool. You can use the same amount of time and work on other things and get greater results. To just start to get a results a forum, you need from 3 months to a year... usually more than 3 years for bigger communities.

SEO on the other hand is a quick-fix solution. It focuses on the content, on one person who talk to many people, while forums are places where people talk to other people.

As a user (member) of a forum, you can use forums to meet new people, make partnerships or friends, learn something, or to get some small, targeted traffic, like for services etc. As a owner of a forum, you can make a group, and grow a community, earn some money when your forum is big etc... but not for SEO. If you want to make more SEO results, there are many, many better tools than forums.

It's also funny when some companies try to build a community with placement in google search. They are using a SEO to build a community. That doesn't work either. Usually that are websites with 1.000.000 visitors in hour and 2 active members in the same time... or in other words, useless, places for spammers.

Last edited by Marko_V; 10-10-2013 at 03:17 AM.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko_V View Post
You can't use a hammer to screw in a screw and you can't use a screwdriver to hammer a nail.

Forums and SEO are different worlds, with different goals and different results.

Forum is a tool for building a community, a group. Forum is a website where your visitors talk to each other, not a tool for SEO. Just compare the amount of work and the results from a forum as a SEO tool. You can use the same amount of time and work on other things and get greater results. To just start to get a results a forum, you need from 3 months to a year... usually more than 3 years for bigger communities.

SEO on the other hand is a quick-fix solution. It focuses on the content, on one person who talk to many people, while forums are places where people talk to other people.

As a user (member) of a forum, you can use forums to meet new people, make partnerships or friends, learn something, or to get some small, targeted traffic, like for services etc. As a owner of a forum, you can make a group, and grow a community, earn some money when your forum is big etc... but not for SEO. If you want to make more SEO results, there are many, many better tools than forums.

It's also funny when some companies try to build a community with placement in google search. They are using a SEO to build a community. That doesn't work either. Usually that are websites with 1.000.000 visitors in hour and 2 active members in the same time... or in other words, useless, places for spammers.
How you thing that these Forum community will not help in SEO? I have learned few hours ago that Forums help you to get back links and back links help to increase your website ranking in Google.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:28 PM
Contributing Member

Forums always helps in SEO, not only in the case of link building but also in the case of knowledge increment. Yeah some people spam about them but not all the users in the internet are spammers.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:05 PM
Banned

Its true that all internet users are not spammers but problem is 50% webmasters are spammers. I am focusing from last moth. Mostly people want to get back link from fourms. But Now a days forum Posting link Building is not too much effective.

Its true that in the past, forums played important role in SEO field. But after Google updates like Google Panda and Google panguin. Forums are no more effective in the link building field

Old 10-15-2013, 04:26 AM
Contributing Member

Forums does help in SEO + you get direct traffic from forums as well, just contribute with the community, and where needed post your blog's link

Old 10-16-2013, 01:12 AM
Contributing Member

Forums can make a big difference when it comes to search engine optimization, And you may get your site appear in search results very fast, because forum is a part of healty discussions on any topics, search engine quite often index them. If you are doing something right on giant forums like posting Fresh Contents, Never ever seen topics related to your niche, then there are positive changes of being indexed by search engine bots.
Keep Calm & Take Part In Discussions

Old 10-18-2013, 04:52 AM

People tend to keyword drop in forums naturally. Starting topics about stuff you want to rank for is a great idea. They are real good for if you eventually want to monetise as well. 5 mins browsing a forum could easily lead you across 40+ pages, each with a chance of a different display ad.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:57 PM

Hi,
Yeah, Forum posting gives lot of information. Some webmasters using forums to seo purpose. Google updates is very powerful. So forums backlinks are not powerful.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management

Closed Thread