Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby

Web Design Lobby Forum for general web design issues not specific to scripting or graphics.

Share |
Old 09-13-2013, 08:39 AM
Contributing Member

How best to approach someone to build their website?

I hear that a great way to gain clients is to approach someone and offer your web design services to build them a website. How would you do this politely? It seems to me that it could be perceived as quite rude to say "Hey, I notice your website is long due an update, let me be the one to bring it back to life".

How do you guys do this in a professional manner?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-13-2013, 02:59 PM
Contributing Member

How I've been doing it, though unsuccessfully, is to read their news/blog/Twitter for selling points.

For example:
"Hey, I read on your blog that you're thinking about switching to Authorize.net since Google is retiring its Google Checkout service. I've orchestrated similar transitions in the past, including [domain], [names], and [here]."

In theory, I would be following that up by "while I'm doing this, do you want anything else changed?" and show them examples of ways to improve the site that you've seen in other websites.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:22 AM
Contributing Member

Hi,

Search for websites that are not developed by a professional. In a few seconds, you can see if someone created their website by themselves or not.

If you tsuch website, send an email to the owner and give some website-examples of their competitors.
And say, that you can design a new website for them.

Last edited by HTMLBasicTutor; 09-18-2013 at 07:40 AM. Reason: dup post

Old 09-23-2013, 10:44 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConduciveMammal View Post
I hear that a great way to gain clients is to approach someone and offer your web design services to build them a website. How would you do this politely? It seems to me that it could be perceived as quite rude to say "Hey, I notice your website is long due an update, let me be the one to bring it back to life".

How do you guys do this in a professional manner?
If you are providing any services to customers then you should first build good relation with your niche audience because it will help you to offer your services to them in future in very professional way. But in the initial level of the relationship with your audience if you will start to promote your services then it is not good way and will also create bad image of you on their mind.

Social networking sites such as Facebook, Google Plus, Twitter etc. are the best source to build good relationship within your audience. Through social media profile of yours, they will come to know regarding which type of services you are offering hence it will be helpful in the future in term of get offer directly from your audience without saying anything. Because your posts, comments and likes will speak indirectly in terms of “your web services” towards the audience.

Old 09-24-2013, 01:46 AM

I personally prefer to see designer portfolio, his participation in industry ezines (smashing magazine,..) and then choosing him to hire. This guy would win my vote leemunroe dot com.

When designer (or seo comapny) send my a proposal, I simply mark it "as read"

Old 09-24-2013, 02:37 AM
Contributing Member

First I will analyze what feedback i can give to their site. By giving comment to their designs and website performance, you must be a normal person, a normal user that just dropped by on the site. On that way, whatever you will gonna say to them will look natural.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:08 AM
Contributing Member

It all depeds who the owner of the site is. It is big difference between a big firm or some little company. Everyone have different methods to do this. You just have fo figure out what works best or you.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:18 AM
Banned

If you are a beginner in creating websites then i think you should first search for some small-medium business in your area, who have outdated websites, and send them an email with your offer. In it you could give an example of how you imagine that the website could look (like do a screenshot or something similar), show what websites their competitors have, and show what websites have you done in the past (ofcourse you should pick the best ones).

Why to search for businesses in your area? Because if they accept your offer, you could meet and discuss with them face to face at any point in your development, and that could be a good advantage to have. When you do some websites for these customers, you could move on to a broader area or the area would not be important at all (because you would be a more experienced web designer with a better portfolio)

Last edited by Vincentas; 10-09-2013 at 04:35 AM.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:01 AM

Yeah actually hitting the street is a great first move. Friends who own shops, or even just propositioning businesses face to face. Offer discounted rates and you will get a great response. This is how one of my colleagues built his portfolio up.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:46 AM
Contributing Member

If you are a good web developer / web designer, then first build up yourself, learn how and what others are doing, make your own plan , follow it and execute it.

Its good to have portfolio before contacting any one for website redesigning / update etc.
Email Marketing is one of the best way to achieve your goals, however you need to think by the user ends mind and make a proposal accordingly.

Also its good to read their blog, tweets, facebook posts etc to get more about them...The better you know them the higher is the chance to win!

Last edited by Evemper; 10-21-2013 at 03:54 AM.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby