Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

Share |
Old 01-03-2007, 07:22 PM

Selling Gift Cards for In-Store Use

I have a client who wants to sell gift cards online. Basically, here are the steps needed:
  1. Go to the website
  2. Click on a link to buy the gift card
  3. Enter the amount, information, etc.
  4. Have it bill through PayPal
  5. Print the card
  6. Company should get an email that they can print off to verify it in-store.
We tried the PayPal gift cards but they are for online use and you have to spend the money online in order to get the money. I'm looking for a simple solution that enables my client to sell gift cards online through (preferably) their PayPal account.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-03-2007, 11:06 PM
v7n Mentor

This is more of a project and internal structure project than a simple code project this seems lol.

Do all the steps you said, and in those steps, make it create a barcode/UPC number for that gift card, or a random number, and then when that generates, send it to the employer for records, and also include it on the printed receipt for the customer to bring in.

Sorry if I'm not being thorough at the moment, but I'm really tired!

Old 01-04-2007, 10:08 AM
v7n Mentor

Sounds like the client doesn't want the overhead of producing a physical card to send to the customer??? If that is the case, then things probably get complicated and I would need to know where they want the gift card to be usable? Is this for just their store? Just their chain? Lots of stores?

Old 01-04-2007, 10:15 AM
v7n Mentor

Well if it was lots of chains, I'm sure they wouldn't mind producing a gift card, cause it would help out their business. So, it's probably like 1-5 at the most, from what I can imagine.

Also, just a fun little fact... did you know Taco Bell does not have gift cards? I thought that was strange when I went to go get one for a xmas gift.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:14 PM

Basically it's a salon who wants to enable people to print gift certificates (just paper ones) online.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:23 AM
v7n Mentor

Wow...that one can definitely be done but depends on a lot of variables on the clients end. Do that have a point of sale system? Is there any chance to be able to upload data to the point of sale system? Or are they much more manual operation?

You probably already thought about it but Izzmo mentioned it too...print a barcode on the certificate. The real challenge is do you encode the actual product or amount in the bar code or not. That depends on how likely it would be that someone would make fraudulent versions of it. If that is a real concern, have the site generate a unique random number that gets encoded in the barcode or just printed on the certificate. The challenge is you need to get that data to their point of sale system somehow. It could be a manual system that they just go to an secured admin interface to their site and print the list daily too. Then they can check the list for a valid code.

A lot of the architecture will depend on the client, how busy they are, their level of comfort with computers, their level of technology use in their sales process.

Is any of this helping at all? It is kind of general so I really am only hoping to spur the right thought or two for you at this point.

Good Luck and let us know.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:33 AM
v7n Mentor

As I was reading Taltos' post, he sum'd up everything, and I just had one thought:
Is the P.O.S cash register one of those basic ones where the Operating System is directed for "selling" and has no setup to access the internet or a GUI, like Windows? If that's the case, it might be a tad harder to get this going lol.

Old 01-05-2007, 08:12 PM

Well, I don't need it to work with the cash register. Their computers DO NOT have access to the internet at the location. However, she is fine with printing off a list or something and keeping that in a binder. I am basically looking for a script that will do this.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:30 AM
v7n Mentor

Sorry, I have never seen a script that will do just this. There are lots of coupon scripts out there and lots of storefront scripts or e-commerce stuff. I think you are going to have to pick something close and modify it or write your own. Do you have the e-commerce or storefront stuff in place yet? Most of those will allow you to supply a document as the result. Might be able to just make it a coupon document and they can dump out the list each day?

Good luck on this one. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Let us know what you end up doing.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:26 PM

I'm wondering if I could just take the coupon or gift card part out and ad that to the site. No plans for e-commerce and it will not be implemented (for sure). Any software that would do this?

Old 01-09-2007, 10:41 AM
v7n Mentor

Most of the scripts that I saw were really involved in promoting lots of coupons. Since you really only need one, it sounds to me like a pretty static page with just enough PHP to put some kind of number on the coupon for each person that purchases one. I suspect it would be easier to add that to the site custom rather than trying to hack out the coupon part of most of the scripts that I saw. But, I didn't really look hard at the code for any of them.

Have you already got the purchase forms part of this going or are you still working on that part?

Old 01-13-2007, 08:21 PM

Taltos - you got it. Purchase forms? I just want to sell gift certificates online and have them go through PayPal.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum