Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 12-21-2010, 10:16 AM
v7n Mentor

Writing Prompts - Ways To Get Kick Start Creativity

I just ran across this article geared toward fiction writers: http://www.dailywritingtips.com/writing-prompts-101/. I thought it might be fun to try and apply the principle to writing for the web.

Quote:
A writing prompt is simply a topic around which you start jotting down ideas. The prompt could be a single word, a short phrase, a complete paragraph or even a picture, with the idea being to give you something to focus upon as you write. You may stick very closely to the original prompt or you may wander off at a tangent.

<snip>

# Sometimes itís hard to start writing when faced with a blank page. Focusing on an unrelated prompt for a while helps get the creative juices flowing. If you write for just ten minutes on a prompt, you should then find it easier to return to the piece you intended to write. You may also find that if you stop trying to think so hard about what you wanted to write and switch you attention to the prompt instead, the words and ideas for your original piece start to come to you after all.
# The things you write in response to a prompt may also end up as worthwhile material in their own right. The prompt may give you ideas from which a complete story grows or you may get fresh ideas for another piece you are already working on. Itís often surprising how much material you come up with once you start.
You can read the samples offered to fiction writers on the site, but I thought it might be useful to see if we can come up with some web content or "article writing" prompts for V7N writers.

1. There's no such thing as ....
2. The easiest online marketing ploy.
3. The most useful feature of my website.
4. The Number 1 book I recommend to people starting out in my business.
5. The first time I said "No" to a client.
6. How I became an expert at .....
7. Where to find expert advice on ....
8. Things I have done for money ...
9. How I started working online.
10. My biggest mistake.
11. My earliest experience online.

The idea is not necessarily to produce a blog post or something you would publish, but to stimulate your creative writing juices. Of course, if it does get edited and into e-print, that's great, too.

Please feel free to share your experience with any of these prompts ... or with writing prompts, in general. And please add any writing prompts you come up with.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web