Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 01-05-2011, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Is Your Link Text Letting You Down?

Found this blog post over on the Problogger blog. Very well written and i could use some coffee.

Quote:
How do you use links in your blog posts? Bloggers link to other online resources for many reasons: to give credibility to a claim, to provide additional information, to give credit to another person or institution, to allow users to easily follow a natural progression or procedure, and so on.

You could say that in-text links allow us to apply a degree of functionality to written content. If they’re used appropriately, links can achieve their goals without confusing—or losing—the user. They can also support a good search rank for your content. If they’re used poorly, they can frustrate users, undermine your credibility, or create gaping holes in your site, SEO efforts, or sales process.

When we’re talking about in-text links—links that aren’t part of your blog’s buttons or navigation—it’s important to remember also that the links aid scanning. Well-used links can boost your posts’ readability, as well as reader comprehension. While some argue that a scanner finding an interesting link will simply click away from your site, ending their engagement with your content, I’m not so sure. I have the feeling that’s only....
Continued at: Link Text Letting You Down

Any thoughts on this blog post?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-05-2011, 02:30 PM

It’s true that they attract attention. From the three approaches enumerated in the article (the minimalistic approach, a call to action, the descriptive approach), I prefer the third one. Not just for SEO, but it also just looks nicer that way.

I would also like to propose something else to debate (hopefully, this is ok) should in-text links be target=_blank or not?

Old 02-05-2011, 06:45 AM
v7n Mentor

Here's my thoughts on this, realize before I share them that I've become quite anal about anchor text. Honestly, things like in the first example using words like "here" for an internal link really are potentially hobbling your SEO efforts.

If I use ANY approach, I try to use anchor text that accurately conveys the link content while using the keywords associated with the link, and that includes using a phrase but only actually linking the keywords in the phrase that count. For an example, if I had a page with keywords how to make money online, and I wanted to reference that internally through contextual links, I might use something like "I wrote an article a while back on how to make money online". The anchor would only be around the "how to make money online" part, and the rest left to trail. If you are careful to make sure visitors understand what are links on your site and what are not, you should have no issue with people realizing this linking strategy and clicking the link to read more. So technically, in basics, I don't really use ANY of the strategies on that page. The call to action doesn't have to be in the anchor text, it can be any part of it or extend beyond it.

On the whole blank page targeting for links, I have always practiced the moto of if it goes somewhere external to my website, I tend to pop it in a new tab. I am also very up front about this in my website so visitors know they can click freely on the links, if it goes away from my website, they don't have to worry about loosing their place. Many argue the fact that if the visitor wanted a new window or tab they'd open one. I feel my method is fine just the way it is. I've already made it known on the website how links function.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web