Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 03-04-2011, 11:30 AM

Sites that pay for articles

Who has had experience with such, like Demand Studios? Would you recommend as an income source? TIA.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-04-2011, 02:01 PM
Banned

I write for Demand Studios, but it's not easy. They have very strict guidelines!!! However, my writing has improved 10 fold since I started writing for them in 2008. The pay is fair $15 to $20 for a 400 word e.how or e.how Home and Garden article. Livestrong writers get paid $25 and up, but my scores are not high enough to get into Livestrong right now. I have slightly above average scores, but you need to maintain higher than above average to get into Livestrong. Each article is scored from 1 to 5. One being the worst and five being the best. Editors rarely give out a 5, even to the best writers. My score average is 3.8 and going up. If I can get my average score above 4, I can apply for Livestrong. Maybe one day. Scores go up slowly, especially if have thousands of articles under your belt because it takes 1000+ articles to raise your score. The majority of writers at Demand have scores like mine. Only a handful of really good writers are good enough to write for Livestrong. However, I can write for Livestrong Lifestyle which is connected to the main site. I've written 10 Livestrong Lifestyle articles. Here is a list of other content companies besides Demand Media.

Groupon $22 per 300 word article
Love to Know $20 per 600 word article
Wisegeek $20 per 400 word article
The Yahoo Contributor's Network $10 per article plus REVENUE share. This is huge because you earn an up front payment, plus continue to make money on your articles for years to come.

There are several more. This is just a small list. I am actually building my own sites, so that I am not always relying on Demand Media and ghostwriting projects.

Good luck!

Old 03-04-2011, 11:53 PM

The Examiner will pay for articles, and is always looking for local and national writers. I'm a MIA writer for the Examiner. My initial enthusiasm was lost after a few weeks, as they don't pay very well. To a large extent, it was probably my fault. You have to be enthusiastic, and dedicated (and willing to work for peanuts). It seemed boring to only write about one niche, and only in my local area. I would imagine, long term writers with them could achieve a certain level of success.

Sarah, Wisegeek sounds interesting. On their website it says writers can choose between a wide variety of topics.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:48 PM
Banned

Some sites

I know factiods, busika and triond pays for your articles .
But I don't know how they works. It would be great is someone would make a comparison of this sites here. That would be helpful.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:01 PM
v7n Mentor

I never bother with most of them. Demand Media seems to be rough to get into, I recently applied there but was glad I didn't make it when I found out the max I was getting was $25 or something like that per article. Most of them are that way, so to me, the real money isn't there, it's in doing the writing for other places, and not the freelance stuff either because pay is just as bad. To me, I'm better off creating good content for my site and offering copywriting services, it pays better.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyonlinesorg View Post
I never bother with most of them. Demand Media seems to be rough to get into, I recently applied there but was glad I didn't make it when I found out the max I was getting was $25 or something like that per article. Most of them are that way, so to me, the real money isn't there, it's in doing the writing for other places, and not the freelance stuff either because pay is just as bad. To me, I'm better off creating good content for my site and offering copywriting services, it pays better.
You're an excellent writer (was reading your blog today), and that's solid advice. While I agree with you, selling articles is still a tempting way to make fast cash. My money expectations are not near as high. I'm actually working on a few writing samples for wiseGEEk right now.

Hopefully, if I continue to read your blog I'll learn a few things.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:05 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco View Post
You're an excellent writer (was reading your blog today), and that's solid advice. While I agree with you, selling articles is still a tempting way to make fast cash. My money expectations are not near as high. I'm actually working on a few writing samples for wiseGEEk right now.

Hopefully, if I continue to read your blog I'll learn a few things.
Thanks for the vote of confidence Coco, but I'm not the only one out there to learn from I wish you well and luck with your wisegeek stuff. I'm still waiting on a reply from one of the pieces I sent to NYT

Old 03-05-2011, 11:29 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahberra View Post
There are several more. This is just a small list. I am actually building my own sites, so that I am not always relying on Demand Media and ghostwriting projects.
It sounds like even though you are making an alright come up with your score its still not enough to actually "pay out" like you wish if you are building out your own sites. I definitely think with the experience you have you will be able to fire up a site, and even if it takes awhile, it will start making you some decent money. Anyone who is as committed to you to battling other writers should definitely get a bigger peice of the pie than what it sounds like they are offering.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:57 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahberra View Post
I write for Demand Studios, but it's not easy. They have very strict guidelines!!! However, my writing has improved 10 fold since I started writing for them in 2008. The pay is fair $15 to $20 for a 400 word e.how or e.how Home and Garden article. Livestrong writers get paid $25 and up, but my scores are not high enough to get into Livestrong right now. I have slightly above average scores, but you need to maintain higher than above average to get into Livestrong. Each article is scored from 1 to 5. One being the worst and five being the best. Editors rarely give out a 5, even to the best writers. My score average is 3.8 and going up. If I can get my average score above 4, I can apply for Livestrong. Maybe one day. Scores go up slowly, especially if have thousands of articles under your belt because it takes 1000+ articles to raise your score. The majority of writers at Demand have scores like mine. Only a handful of really good writers are good enough to write for Livestrong. However, I can write for Livestrong Lifestyle which is connected to the main site. I've written 10 Livestrong Lifestyle articles. Here is a list of other content companies besides Demand Media.

Groupon $22 per 300 word article
Love to Know $20 per 600 word article
Wisegeek $20 per 400 word article
The Yahoo Contributor's Network $10 per article plus REVENUE share. This is huge because you earn an up front payment, plus continue to make money on your articles for years to come.

Good luck!
The pay is fair? Do you realize that places like Entrepreneur Magazine pay up to $1.00 per word? That's the going rate for good writers. The rest in your list, I'm sorry to point out, are nothing but online sweatshops. Doubt what I'm saying about Entrepreneur? Here's a link to their submit page http://www.entrepreneur.com/entmagwg.html

The ones in your list, nothing but crooks, and all want to write for them for that $20.00 for 400 words? The fair pay $400.00 USD for that stuff, if it's good. Honestly, people need to stop supporting these crooks, the real money isn't in Demand Media that pays $20.00 so they can make thousands to millions off the rights. It's in the other magazines that take submissions and querries then pay a fair price for the hard work. The rest are just making money off our hard work, offering us little fairness in what they pay for it.

Something for you all to think about in this thread. Sure, it takes some legwork tracking down the magazines in your niche, but isn't that worth the 2000% increased pay on the investment? It's up to you guys, but I'll stick with the other route, I'm more valuable than $20.00 per article.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
The pay is fair? Do you realize that places like Entrepreneur Magazine pay up to $1.00 per word? That's the going rate for good writers. The rest in your list, I'm sorry to point out, are nothing but online sweatshops. Doubt what I'm saying about Entrepreneur? Here's a link to their submit page http://www.entrepreneur.com/entmagwg.html
Another superb sharing from you my man. As my education (accounting major) is inclined into business I have had a few issues of Entrepreneur Magazine.
But I never knew are accepting freelancers and would pay this high!

yes I would agree it would be a hard work but if the pay is good then that offset it right?

In my case the challenges as a writer are triple, my first language is not English, most companies would prefer native English applicants. Which is of course understandable because these companies only wants what's the best for them

Old 03-06-2011, 03:58 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallboss View Post
Another superb sharing from you my man. As my education (accounting major) is inclined into business I have had a few issues of Entrepreneur Magazine.
But I never knew are accepting freelancers and would pay this high!

yes I would agree it would be a hard work but if the pay is good then that offset it right?

In my case the challenges as a writer are triple, my first language is not English, most companies would prefer native English applicants. Which is of course understandable because these companies only wants what's the best for them
Smalldude, so look for magazines in your own language? I'm sure they'd pay well too Just adjust and adapt. If English is an issue, try to find some free online courses, or find someone who might be willing to proof your stuff and split some of the profit with you. Be creative, and you can do anything

Old 03-07-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the vote of confidence Coco, but I'm not the only one out there to learn from I wish you well and luck with your wisegeek stuff. I'm still waiting on a reply from one of the pieces I sent to NYT
You're welcome. You know what? I forgot the address for this forum, lol. Don't ever go to v77 or v79 dot com because they're just pages of ads!

Anyway, you're still waiting for a response from the NYT? I can't believe it. They should have snapped it right up. Did you submit an article with enough of a liberal slant?

Old 03-07-2011, 10:35 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco View Post
You're welcome. You know what? I forgot the address for this forum, lol. Don't ever go to v77 or v79 dot com because they're just pages of ads!

Anyway, you're still waiting for a response from the NYT? I can't believe it. They should have snapped it right up. Did you submit an article with enough of a liberal slant?
The title was:

Welcome to web 2-0 todays sweatshop equivalent

No worries, I sent a query to Entrepreneur now as well. We'll see who wants it. But yes, I'm still waiting

Old 03-08-2011, 09:33 AM

This was a very interesting read. I had not even thought about sending pieces to magazines although a few years back I did have a copy of the author and writers yearbook I think it was called. That included every magazine you could think of and all split into subject sections. I think I may look for an update version and see if anywhere will deliver to Thailand.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallboss View Post
You might want to consider becoming your own company.

Most webmaster forums (including this one) have content sections where writers sell articles.

Quote:
The title was:

Welcome to web 2-0 todays sweatshop equivalent

No worries, I sent a query to Entrepreneur now as well. We'll see who wants it. But yes, I'm still waiting
That topic sounds like a great story, would love to read it when it's published. Hopefully, you'll hear from the NYT or Entrepreneur soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkelf View Post
This was a very interesting read. I had not even thought about sending pieces to magazines although a few years back I did have a copy of the author and writers yearbook I think it was called. That included every magazine you could think of and all split into subject sections. I think I may look for an update version and see if anywhere will deliver to Thailand.
That's a fantastic idea. I've found that Amazon is selling the 2011 yearbook now, and the 2012 one will probably come out late this summer. They will ship it to Thailand.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:50 AM
Contributing Member

I've just started writing articles for london brokers, the pay is very low compared to the sites mentioned here, I didn't even know there was sites that paid $25 per article, that sounds like a lot to me. I just looked at trionds terms and it says that they can change your writing at any time, but it also says the author has sole rights to work published. Does anyone know the sort of money you can make on triond? Also, do you actually retain your own work?

Last edited by eddyjangle; 03-10-2011 at 05:07 AM.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:50 AM

Sure, in English language it's much easier to find such web sites!

Old 03-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Contributing Member

nice one on building your own sites. that's what writers should not miss out on, making something of their own and not just ghost/write for people.

thanks for the list. really? literally thousands of articles just to get in?

P.s. back in 2006 I used to write 500 word articles for a measly $2, so yeah, moneyonlinesorg is right, those are sweatshop writing gigs. now i'm writing for far more than that, although with what moneyonlinesorg had just said, i might have to hike (reasonably) my rate.

you can't get cake for peanuts.

Last edited by mothproof; 03-10-2011 at 10:27 AM.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web