Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 02-17-2011, 07:11 AM
v7n Mentor

Lightbulb A Surefire Daily Writing Strategy that Works - What's yours?

Many bloggers, and content developers alike, agonize over what to write about. Bloggers pushing the envelope with daily content tend to run out of ideas fast, unless they’ve accumulated a topic list over their years. Although that is one sure-fire method, of ensuring daily topic content, there is another oft times overlooked...Analytics.

Yes, I said analytics, and moments before writing this post, my analytics jogged my memory about this little known and underused tool. If you’ve read my posts throughout the forums you’ve surely seen me mention the importance for running analytics. I’m about to share with you a good reason to help you with topic content people search for.

I just popped open my favorite analytics program and looked at the new baby site. It’s in my signature if you’re wondering what it is. I like to do this, most times, because it’s funny to see the traffic they send from the search engines. So many times, I’ve seen traffic for things I never TRIED to rank for, yet there I am, out of millions, on page one. That knowledge, my friends, is leveraging enabling information. Please read on to discover the facts behind the message.

There it was, the listing of what Google and other search engines sent me via traffic, and the keywords used. As I scrolled the list, I find “write something new everyday”. Out of over 9 million results, there I am, comfortably sitting at #4. Funny, I never TRIED to rank for that, but people obviously want to know. Why don’t I write something up, link it from that page, and GIVE them what they’re looking for?

No, the present page, as it sits, is about V7N and the new Learn Something New Every Day Challenge, so there’s nothing on that page to honestly help them with their problem, but I can fix that. I can leverage that information to create a page that solve a problem and potentially capitalize on the first page listing from my page with nothing about it.

Do I blindly create another page named “write-something-new-everyday”? No, I take my bottom over to google’s keyword suggestion tool and I do some research. I find out what keywords the masses use for such terminology, trying to find ways to help them write something new daily, and then I optimize my new page for that. Once created, I place a link on the other page to it, and voila, instant conversion of traffic I’d lost because there was nothing helpful on that page for what they searched.

Not only does this help us with content development, it also helps us convert “junk” traffic. Analytics have so many uses. If you don’t use them yet, this is just another reason why you should, and track them. Read the reports. See where people come from. It’s invaluable insight into your visitors, and the more we know our visitors, the better we can choose affiliate offerings they need.

Do you use analytics? How do you come up with daily topics for content?

Last edited by moneyonlinesorg; 02-17-2011 at 07:16 AM.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 09:27 PM
Banned

wow, your strategy sounds really great. I think I have to use it as my guide for my next article writing task.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:04 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPolarZero View Post
wow, your strategy sounds really great. I think I have to use it as my guide for my next article writing task.
Glad you found it useful. I find I use it myself especially at those times that I can't think of something to write. Others, it depends on what I find when I periodically do the keyword research at google. If it's highly popular, I look for ways to capitalize on it.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:28 PM

Thanks for the reminder. I tend to just write about whatever is on my mind, but I know if I want to be successful on the Web I should write about what is on other peoples minds as well.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:22 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjo View Post
Thanks for the reminder. I tend to just write about whatever is on my mind, but I know if I want to be successful on the Web I should write about what is on other peoples minds as well.
No problem Emjo, thanks for reading

Old 02-26-2011, 04:56 AM
Contributing Member

i read your Thread very Deeply such valuable strategy.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:09 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrerbaba View Post
i read your Thread very Deeply such valuable strategy.
Thanks Horrer, hope it gave you some ideas

Old 03-02-2011, 04:02 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the tip!!! Another way I come up with topics is by googling my keywords and looking in the Google News category. Sometimes there are great stories there that are worth syndicating. I am coming up dry for one specific site, so I am def going to try your tip!

Old 03-02-2011, 07:53 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelCorrine View Post
Thanks for the tip!!! Another way I come up with topics is by googling my keywords and looking in the Google News category. Sometimes there are great stories there that are worth syndicating. I am coming up dry for one specific site, so I am def going to try your tip!
Glad you found it useful. Another one I tend to use, I let Seesmic open on my desktop, and use it to monitor my twitter stream. Looking to see what people talk about also sometimes lends insight and ideas

Old 03-12-2011, 12:47 AM

I’m sorry for bumping this. @Moneyonlinesorg that’s a great idea. Analytics is a great tool and we should use it more often.

A blogger that I follow also posted an article about generating new blogging ideas using Analytics: he suggests tracking what people are searching on the site. It’s easy to set up, here is his tutorial:
http://www.blogginglabs.com/tweak-go...lytics-output/

I thought I’d just share it in here since your ideas are similar.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:49 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLine88 View Post
I’m sorry for bumping this. @Moneyonlinesorg that’s a great idea. Analytics is a great tool and we should use it more often.

A blogger that I follow also posted an article about generating new blogging ideas using Analytics: he suggests tracking what people are searching on the site. It’s easy to set up, here is his tutorial:
http://www.blogginglabs.com/tweak-go...lytics-output/

I thought I’d just share it in here since your ideas are similar.
Welcome, thanks for the add, we can never give someone too much information on one thing. I wrote up my own article on this, but I never linked it...self promotion and all

***EDIT***

As in, using analytics, not search

Last edited by moneyonlinesorg; 03-12-2011 at 12:55 AM.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:35 PM
Banned

Good tips!! Thank you for sharing. I just try to write articles that are interesting to me. I need to make sure they are interesting to other people though and research my market better.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:22 AM

No strategy actually, just a passion that drives me to get the job, that's it - after that I call it a day. Sometimes people think I'm a bot or server gone haywire, but that's just me.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web