Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 04-18-2011, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

How to Write Amazing Product Reviews

This topic some folks may want to learn more about. Check out this blog post on problogger.

Quote:
Product review posts are in many ways the core of what blogging is about—the ability for all of us regular folks to express an opinion about a product, be it good or bad. Every day, tens of thousands of product reviews are written on blogs across the world, and often, on just one product alone, hundreds of new opinion/review posts are written each week.

The goal of most folks when they write a review post is to share their opinion with the world about the product. But how do you differentiate writing a review post that only sees a handful of eyeballs, from ones that see thousands of readers every day—and in some cases ranks even higher than the manufacturer’s own product page?
Continued at; http://www.problogger.net/archives/2...oduct-reviews/

Your thoughts? Do you have a tips to share with us for when writing product reviews?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-20-2011, 10:24 AM
Contributing Member

I think rather than just giving an opinion, you should back it up with why, giving examples. What are people looking for when they shop for that particular type of product? Good price, speed, durability? Think about what answers the consumer could be looking for.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:03 AM
Contributing Member

You can check the FAQ at amazon or you and learn from the what other people have written on the site

Old 06-05-2011, 06:51 AM

Product review writing is an art by itself. It has to be gradually mastered. Well-written product reviews will do a world of good to the confidence of the buyer.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:25 AM
Contributing Member

Using the product itself, and trying to allocate as much data about it as you can coupled with a writing talent is the thing. The good text, no matter if it is a review or just some essay appears only from the talented creativity.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:37 AM

I usually just say that they all suck. "This product is no better than a crazed monkey with diarrhea."

Old 06-06-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayburn View Post
I usually just say that they all suck. "This product is no better than a crazed monkey with diarrhea."
How are the converts?

Old 06-07-2011, 01:55 AM

I admit that it's very hard for me to write about product reviews especially when we didn't own the products...So, any tips given here is useful for me.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:48 AM
Contributing Member

you should hire a seasoned product review writer.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsseosolution View Post
you should hire a seasoned product review writer.
That's the easy way out i'm afraid. Any thoughts on the blog post i linked us to?

Old 06-07-2011, 07:58 AM
Contributing Member

Knowing the technicalities of the product alone will not help in writing great reviews.One has to use it sufficiently,making use of all the features for writing an unbiased post with all the answers that a potential buyer is searching on the net.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:44 AM
Blue Rose Mentor

I had the "honor" of doing that once and it scared me witless. In the end, my experience using the product helped me immensely. I cannot honestly review a book or product without actually using it or reading the book. Trying to make an assumption about a product based on what others say ends up in one of the most trivial of reviews IMO. The article describes everything that should be done to a 'T'.

If you use the product, make sure you test it properly, see if you can even add a few tips or shortcuts, if you find any, and take an open, honest approach with the review.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:42 AM
v7n Mentor

I disagree with most of that article. My biggest issue is with this: "No, when they look for a product review, they’re looking for unbiased feedback from knowledgeable experts in that field."

That's not what I need and I don't think it's what my readers want. Recently I was shopping for miniatures to use while playing D&D so I looked for reviews on certain brands. All I needed to know was how they looked next to minis from other lines - cool, too big, whatever. No expert knowledge required - just a normal person who had used the product and could convey the experience in good English.

I love doing reviews. The first time someone wanted to send me a product to review I was thrilled. Since then I've reviewed luggage stickers, luggage, books, travel socks, hotels, cruise ships, and probably some stuff I'm forgetting.

Why should I be an expert on luggage stickers? Do I have to write a PhD thesis on a book before I can review it on my blog? What does it mean to know a hotel "inside and out" as the author says we ought to?

Nah, my readers want to know if the luggage stickers stayed on my suitcase or fell off. Readers want to know if a book is fun and informative, and how it will help them if they buy it. Readers want to know if the hotel was in a good location, if the staff was friendly, if the rooms were big and clean, etc. None of that requires expert knowledge.

My advice: Use the product, think about who the product will help (if anyone), think about the good and the not-so-good, and write.

Anyway the author bio says the author writes 61 page reviews. That doesn't make a review good - it makes a review unreadable.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:47 PM

Avoid Technical Jargon

When writing a product review no need to include technical jargon. It's effective when you add your personal experience with the product.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgegijo View Post
When writing a product review no need to include technical jargon. It's effective when you add your personal experience with the product.
Product review posts are in many ways the core of what blogging is about—the ability for all of us regular folks to express an opinion about a product, be it good or bad. Every day, tens of thousand

Old 06-21-2011, 08:23 AM

when writing prod reviews, you should be unbiased and based on your experience.
how can you give a good review if you haven't tried or even any clue what is all about.
i also do some little prod reviews every now and then, just for fun.

and yes, i agree with technical jargon. it easier to read and comprehend without it.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:26 AM
Contributing Member

Use product, figure what you think of the product - good and bad and ways it can be improved, what readers or other potential users might possibly like to know about it and write. The writing has to be backed with substantial information though and you pretty much have a decent review. I swear by reviews when buying things. If the person seems to know their stuff and has answered all my questions without me having voiced them, I definitely keep it in mind.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web