Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 11-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Beginner Blogging Mistakes - Blog Writing

Found a good blog post on the sitepronews blog. This is aimed at new bloggers actually.

Quote:
Blogging is not complicated, but it is hard. Itís the same theory as lifting up a car Ė the action is a simple one, but it requires a great deal of effort to pull off. At the root of it, blogging is as simple as can be. The blogger logs in, writes a piece of appropriate length touching on a relevant topic, then posts and all is done. However, it is painfully clear that most blogs donít survive the inception phase, and even those that do manage a few opening posts donít tend to last more than a few days or weeks.

There are a number of mistakes that beginning bloggers make, blunders that compromise their blogs and kill their chances of developing an interested audience. On the other hand, there is far too much criticism and far too little specific advice on the web. With that in mind, here are some of the common opening mistakes new bloggers make, followed by specific steps that can be taken to avoid them.
Continued at: Beginner Blogging Mistakes

Your thoughts on this blog post? Is there any other writing mistakes that the typical new blogger might make? Comments are more then welcomed.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-25-2010, 02:42 PM
Contributing Member

I agree with most of what was written but then i'm against the idea of 'blogging is hard'. The article was too brief if you ask me and whoever wrote it probably wasn't in the mood, 4 blunders? really? I can type up 20 off the top of my head, so can anyone else.

Anyway the reality is, blogging is as easy as you want it to be. If you blog about things you know about, things you like, it's no different than chatting with your friends and enlightening people on topics you're capable in.

I think the single most frequent writing mistake I see on blogs comes when a blogger forgets they're just blogging. They go into Lecture mode, and the post loses all personality, all feeling, it becomes a bunch of text on a page that doesn't read well or anything. But that's just me and how I see things

Fun read though, thank you snakeair

Old 11-26-2010, 12:41 AM
Contributing Member

Blogging per se is really easy.
'Coz this is where the fun is.

Blogging for money makes it complicated.

Old 11-26-2010, 01:55 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdi View Post
Blogging per se is really easy.
'Coz this is where the fun is.

Blogging for money makes it complicated.
but that shouldn't be the case at all!
here's why

if you're blogging and having fun, installing plugins, ads and stuff that will generate an income while you enjoy yourself shouldnít be complicated at all.

I think what makes things complicated is when people start to think of 'how to make money blogging' when the answer clearly is 'keep doing what you're doing' and just ad rev streams, like adsense, sign up with affiliate networks and add links within your content. Don't change anything otherwise! thatís my opinion again and just how i see things

Old 11-26-2010, 02:10 AM
Contributing Member

^ Dinzo

"Blogging for money makes it complicated."
I'm saying this because this is what gives a lot of pressure to a blogger.

For me personally, I like to have fun blogging and earning at the same time.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:29 AM
v7n Mentor

The problem is that having fun doesn't mean getting visitors and you'll need a bunch of them to make any money with Adsense. If all you want to do is sell links then life is easy but your blog will most likely suck which should make things less fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinzo View Post
but that shouldn't be the case at all!
here's why

if you're blogging and having fun, installing plugins, ads and stuff that will generate an income while you enjoy yourself shouldnít be complicated at all.

I think what makes things complicated is when people start to think of 'how to make money blogging' when the answer clearly is 'keep doing what you're doing' and just ad rev streams, like adsense, sign up with affiliate networks and add links within your content. Don't change anything otherwise! thatís my opinion again and just how i see things
Regarding the original link, I disagree with the importance of pictures and videos. They are good, but some people still like to read nice, long articles which the author seems to say "stay away from."

Of course the issue is that many people can't write nice, long articles.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:22 PM
Banned

Good tips! I know I am not blogging correctly, but I don't like following the norm. I would rather write my blogs in an article style format. I am not sure I am allowed to post links here, but here are two of my blogs:

www.naturalfamily.typepad.com
www.flowersandplants101.info

Do you think I should stick with this method or switch to a more conversational. My natural family living site has some posts that are conversational. I am still such a newbie.

Last edited by snakeair; 11-30-2010 at 10:05 PM.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:24 PM
Contributing Member

Sometimes when people find out they can make money doing something their whole frame of mind changes. Before money was involved they were having fun. Now, all they think about is making money and their blog reflects that. That's when many spam blogs are born. Some people don't think you can have fun and make money too, because many people hate their jobs. So, once their blog becomes like a job it's not fun anymore, and people start to get frustrated. The mind frame becomes I got to make this money. Than comes the stress. Than it just goes downhill from there.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Four Professional Editing Techniques that Boost Post Value

Just adding additional information from the Problogger blog. Very helpful blog post.

Quote:
Putting aside grammar, spell-checking, and similar post QA techniques, editors commonly rely on a suite of tactics to help boost the communications value of content. Theyíre easy to apply, and donít take a whole lot of expertise or time. Perhaps you can (or do?) use them to hone your posts.

Moving the key point to the opening

Often, we can get carried away setting the scene for a postóso carried away, in fact, that we neglect to tell readers what it is that theyíll get if they keep reading.

If they donít know where the post is heading, readers arenít likely to put in the hard yards to complete the.....
Continued at: Four Professional Editing Techniques

Old 12-06-2010, 09:43 AM
Contributing Member

I'd rather put up what's on my mind into my blog than to think about the income.. It gets complicated if you're after something, especially when money, and "ranking" comes

Old 12-06-2010, 10:57 AM
Contributing Member

I agree on the information on that article. Blogging is easy but hard to interact/dealing with other people to visit your site.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:58 PM

I have always succeeded by simply writing about what i'm interested in and what i'm knowledgeable in. If that's not what's trending at the time, let someone who knows about what is trending blog about it.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web