Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 12-17-2010, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Blog Titles & An Epic Battle

If any of you are following the OutspokenMedia blog then you should of already read this blog post. Share your thoughts about this one. It's sorta a rant but well written.

Quote:
Content marketers canít turn around without tripping over another article on the importance of blog titles. Everyone wants to tell you how to write a good one, why yours suck and then mock you about all the traffic youíre leaving on the table by not getting it. Look, I do get it. The experts say I should be spending the same amount of time writing my title as I do the rest of my post. And I give it my best. Sometimes I think Iím even improving, writing titles that do, in fact, attract and convert better. But that doesnít mean I still donít want to punch blog titles square in the face. Because they ruin everything.
Continued at: Blog Titles & An Epic Battle

Your thoughts on this? When i do write a blog post, it takes me longer to come up with a good title then to write the blog post. It should be the other way around. lol

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-15-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
If any of you are following the OutspokenMedia blog then you should of already read this blog post. Share your thoughts about this one. It's sorta a rant but well written.

Your thoughts on this? When i do write a blog post, it takes me longer to come up with a good title then to write the blog post. It should be the other way around. lol
This post rules on OutspokenMedia: http://outspokenmedia.com/blogging/blog-titles/

Old 01-16-2011, 08:29 AM

LOL!

So much obsession over blog titles. I just write them and continue to write the rest of the post. If people read them, great. If not, what can you do.

I figured if you studied what your target audience would be interested in reading, then coming up with a blog title might be slightly easier. Doesn't matter if you write the post first then add the title or the other way around.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:14 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowriter View Post
LOL!

So much obsession over blog titles. I just write them and continue to write the rest of the post. If people read them, great. If not, what can you do.

I figured if you studied what your target audience would be interested in reading, then coming up with a blog title might be slightly easier. Doesn't matter if you write the post first then add the title or the other way around.
Many people will not read your article at all if the title is not catchy, which is fine with you, as you say, but if I write a good article, I'd love people to read it. Ok, one recent title I've come up - ''Two credit cards, one happy marriage' - which is fine by my standards. Of course, it can be 'Separate credit cards for spouses' or something like that, but it doesn't say much and it's boring (again, by my standards).

Old 01-16-2011, 12:23 PM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post

Like it or not, if the title does not catch their attention, many times readers will skip right past the article all together. This can be especially true with networking sites such as Twitter or Facebook when we are trying to promote the post. I openly admit that I stop stressing over blog titles a long time ago. I just write. When I am done with my post, something within the content jumps out at me as the perfect words for my title.

Is the the correct way to do things? Probably not. But life is too short. Just write.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:09 PM

As Cricket says do you really want to spend hours looking for a perfect title? Sometimes you will absolutely nail it on the head other times it will down and out suck. In the end of the day the more you do it the better you can craft a title to get something that your readers will come back to.

If you want to generate interest and return traffic then use an autoresponder and the article as the destination, that will only work if the content being sent out has enough information that will inform but be incomplete so the reader goes back to the article to get all of the information.

As for twitter and facebook, i have not had enough time to test how to effectively convert this so would be interested to hear what criteria people use to get a click through....

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web