Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 03-05-2011, 09:03 AM
v7n Mentor

Sharing Opinion in Writing

Whenever I write I tend to state the facts as much as possible from a neutral standpoint just to allow the reader the luxury of making up their own mind. That being said, I do like to add my own insight whenever possible but sometimes wonder if it may be a bit too much and come off slightly preachy?

Just out of curiosity, do you add personal opinion in your writing and if so, how much of it and where do you place it within the body of your article?

Please share your experience.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-05-2011, 10:17 AM

I scatter personal opinion throughout my blog posts.....
I believe that I make it clear that it is from "my head"....
In a forum. I will often note "IMO"......or even note that I can not cite the original source..

I do not submit to article directories...(at this time)....

Old 03-05-2011, 12:23 PM
v7n Mentor

I alternate between fact and opinion. Opinions often drive comments. I think as long as you explain why you feel a certain way, and avoid getting on a soapbox scolding or blaming, you can avoid sounding preachy. You can always ask your friends and family to read an article before you publish it to make sure it sounds all right.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:06 PM
v7n Mentor

I tend to write from a facts with experience frame of mind. I line out the pros and cons, then I add in my own experience with things. Although the experience could be viewed as opinion, it's really facts based on experience as well. I'm all about empowering and allowing the reader to make their own choices, without worry about what they choose. I find this method allows me to offer good advice and information, and I don't think I come off too "preachy" in the process. You can decide for yourself, by blog posts are linked here in this thread.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:36 AM

Depends what I'm writing for - blog or just website. Blog's contain a mixture of opinion and fact in a less informative style. For websites, I write factually in very short, sharp, factual sentences. A recent class I was part of informed that most sites aim for a reading age of about 12 years old otherwise you'll lose people's interest.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:39 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate55 View Post
A recent class I was part of informed that most sites aim for a reading age of about 12 years old otherwise you'll lose people's interest.
I hate those 1 size fits all assumption things. I guarantee you, if you're site is targeted at techs and more highly educated people, go ahead and write at that 12 year old level, see what kind of response and traffic you get. It's just another case where education, like advice, and any other information, must pass through our own filters of experience and common sense, before we use what is valid before discarding that which does not apply. Just because it was a "class" or it was an "educator" doesn't always mean they know what they're talking about in EVERY application of the concept. Like used cars, buyer beware

Old 03-16-2011, 08:22 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate55 View Post
Depends what I'm writing for - blog or just website. Blog's contain a mixture of opinion and fact in a less informative style. For websites, I write factually in very short, sharp, factual sentences. A recent class I was part of informed that most sites aim for a reading age of about 12 years old otherwise you'll lose people's interest.
I believe this is only partly correct.

Any site that targets a 12 year old demographic will probably receive just that; 12 year olds or those of equal capacity (immaturity is a terrible plague all over the internet).

Blogs can be anything, honestly. And whoever is blogging can write however they want.

They could be pure opinion, centering around the absolute POV and outlook of the person writing.

They could be a simple collage of facts, more often than not the blogger taking something they've learned and then editing, revising, changing it around, and then posting the new version in their own image (a lot of the time with their own added realizations).

A blog could be a combination of the two, tossing facts of their topic enhanced with a personal thought, or a strongly-worded opinion.

Also, blogs can be very informative in my experience. In fact, my cats had ear-mites once, I found a blogger that liked to talk about cats and stuff that had posted a short, concise, informative post about how to suffocate and drain out the ear-mites. I did exactly as he said and they were gone in a week.

There are many cases, of course, where a blog is spewing utter bull$h1T, but that's another story

As for my opinion on writing; it DOES depend on what your purpose is.

If you're trying to teach something, don't dilly dally. The person reading your copy is reading it because they want that useful nugget of information that will solve their problem, or help them out with whatever they're trying to do.

If you're selling something, you want to be fun, a tad flashy (but don't think you're too clever), but at the same time nail the important points of your 'product'. Over-selling will make a customer resent you, but being too funny and whimsical will make you look like a joke.

If you're giving an opinion on something important or otherwise has a great impact on a general population, it could be many different things. But the worst thing you can do is come off like a pompous, unforgiving, stick-up-your hole, ass.

Lastly, if you're just writing on your personal blog or maybe talking about something you're interested in, do it however you want. It doesn't even need to be coherently organized, just get it out there!

Hope this helps

Old 03-16-2011, 09:00 PM
Contributing Member

If I write for my personal blog, type what I thought, care nothing.

If I write for the blog which only use for other website, most of time these blog just write for robot, and I rewrite other related artical, writer the fitst and last paragraph myself, keep the middle.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:33 PM
Contributing Member

I couldn't find the edit button, so I apologize for this double post! If anyone can tell me how to edit my posts, that would be cool and I could delete this

I forgot to say one more thing about writing: if you are writing on the subject of something under debate, discussion, something that is heated, or something that is meant to generate feedback, then there is one universal tip to always follow: leave it open ended!

To easily understand this, you basically don't want to "completely prove your point" or "find the absolute solution". If you do this, you'll first come off as a jackass, but at the same time leave little to no room for people to reply and put in their own thoughts and words!

Okay, I'm done

Old 03-16-2011, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

There is a small time limit for members to edit there post. The button would be to the left of the quote button under the social tools.

Ok, back on topic now and good posting.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:39 AM
Contributing Member

For me it's better to create contents with your own opinion. It was
easy to create one specially that you are talking about your experience
rather than creating contents that you need to gather data first.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:33 AM
Blue Rose Mentor

I generally make sure there is a healthy mix of fact and my own opinion. When someone reads either my articles or blogs, I want them to be able to make an educated decision after reading.

I want them to know all the facts before thinking about whether or not to a product or service. With the niche I am working in as well, its hard to stay clear from using humor most days because the topics are always serious.

Realizing that I cannot always be serious allows me to compensate a small amount of humor, just to keep readers interested enough to read the rest of the article / blog.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:53 PM

I just write in a flow. Then put it a side. Re read it and then ads bullet points about the matters i need to write more. Then i ad that parts to the article.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:46 AM

I may say that writing is about: first having an idea that inspires you. Next you should find an attractive way to share this idea - put it in the right words, so that anyone can grasp it easily.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:27 AM

Before writing on particular thing , I use to have search on that topic ... after reading i used to write my opinions and thoughts...

Old 06-17-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter-ego View Post
Whenever I write I tend to state the facts as much as possible from a neutral standpoint just to allow the reader the luxury of making up their own mind. That being said, I do like to add my own insight whenever possible but sometimes wonder if it may be a bit too much and come off slightly preachy?

Just out of curiosity, do you add personal opinion in your writing and if so, how much of it and where do you place it within the body of your article?

Please share your experience.
Being a writer is not an easy task you must have the idea and think of mind in the topic given...EXPESSING an opinion with other it means his/her belief in life...

Old 06-18-2011, 07:29 AM

Adding personal opinion to a blog post is highly appreciated. It makes the whole post lot of interesting to read. A personal opinion paves ground for a good discussion also.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Banned

It is better to write on topic about which you have sufficient knowledge. If you have sufficient knowledge about the topic only then you can provide valuable information to your readers.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:43 PM
Contributing Member

Using words like I and you are essential in engaging the reader. There is so much out there to read. Why would someone read a boring, neutral, stuffy article when they can read about a human being's own perspective and thoughts. That is why people make millions writing self-help books.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:09 PM
Contributing Member

It depends on the kind of article you are writing. If the article is objective type, then you must separate your personal opinions from facts. Share your opinion if what you are writing is subjective. Or you can also combine both by having a conclusion at the end of the article, however, your conclusion must be based on facts.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web