Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 08-17-2011, 01:39 AM
Contributing Member

People looking to start freelancing

I've been freelancing for around 3 years now, but thinking about changing paths. I want my writing to be a hobby rather than a job. I'm launching my forums and an offline business as we speak. I thought I'd offer what I consider to be good advice for anyone considering freelancing. I am a writer, but I believe all the points are valid for coders, web designers and so on...

Last edited by snakeair; 08-17-2011 at 07:50 AM.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-22-2011, 03:51 AM
Banned

Firstly you have to understand the behaviors of your target audience and put the materials regarding the interest of the visitors.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:17 AM
Contributing Member

Well blogging is the most common thing that my writer friends are doing, whether blogging for fun or or for profit (AdSense). First, I would advice writing about anything that interests you (which is offering good advice to people), but if you crave for more visitors/readers, try writing based on niche. This also helps you become more versatile as a writer. And if you happen to decide on writing for profit, you need to learn the basics of SEO (keywords and stuff), no need to learn complicated codes, just the basics, use free blog sites like WordPress or Blogger. Hope this helps

Old 08-28-2011, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

I love to write and since I have a lot of time on my hands I have built and maintained over 150 websites in just over a year.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:55 PM

Freelance writing is easy to get into via textbroker.com, they always have a lot of orders.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:31 PM
Contributing Member

Start blogging with wordpress or blogger platform, without technical skill on design and coding, you can still achieve it. Is it free, so you no need to worry about register and setup domain, upload files.

Once you pick up those simple coding, then you can slowly improve yoursite and purchase new domain.

Search Engine targeted on content, with rich you stand a better chance for public to reach your site.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:19 PM
Contributing Member

On Freelancing

Having been a freelancer/contract professional for some years now, I caution people from getting into it. Here's why:

* you almost assuredly won't have a dependable income stream, at least for awhile

* if you don't have a "Brand You" presence in your marketplace, it's going to be very difficult for you to get clients

* depending entirely on freelance job sites for work will probably not provide you with enough income to survive

* if you don't learn how to sell offline (ie. face-to-face or by phone) you won't get enough clients quickly enough to stay afloat

* if you don't have enough money in the bank to pay for at least three months of expenses, plus extra for spending on products and services you'll need to succeed, you won't make it.

What you need to survive as a freelancer is a brand presence, specialized expertise, and real reasons why people choose to do business with you. You also need to know how to reach out to prospective clients, and that means a lot more than clicking and bidding.

[removed]

Last edited by robjones; 09-23-2011 at 01:23 PM.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web