Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 08-30-2011, 03:38 PM

Why hiring a writer with a flair for humor really works!

Often you'll see some of the most bland writing on people's blogs and other sites.

It looks as though they hired a refurbished robot to do the chores.

How many of you have had Facebook fans shared a story with you that was funny and the the story itself went viral?

Why? Because funny stories rule! Writing a story that has a humorist twist but isn't offensive has mileage to it.

Sure this is shock humor, sick humor, offensive humor, but you could hurt your brand name with that stuff. I'm a cartoonist so once in a while I'll add a cartoon to my articles. People love that stuff. They love sharing it and re-posting on their blogs which sends you huge traffic.

So don't write so stiff. If you're a writer, ask your client to test an article with some humor. If you're a client, give it a shot and share it on your Facebook page or Twitter or whatever SN you use.

Remember, "Funny Sells".

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-30-2011, 06:53 PM

I have to agree with you on this one. I see so many webmasters wonder why they have a high bounce rate or no returning visitors it is because of the content. So many webmasters are just trying to get as much content on their sites they don't care if it is good or interesting. Humor will help almost any topic except for the very serious, you don't want to be insensitive. But I would rather have one good solid story with heart and humor than 100 dry spun stories on any of my sites any day. Just my opinion

Malcolm

Old 08-30-2011, 08:05 PM

You can say that again Malcolm.

A good story with humor will circulate. Keep in circulation for years to come. Add solid stats or facts and some humor and you've made a long lasting investment.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:22 PM
Contributing Member

Humor makes the world go around.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:04 AM

Yep, you are totally right. I came to realize that articles that include a joke or funny fact tend to convert a lot better than regular, scientific-like article.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:42 PM

I definitely agree with that. Humour is the most valuable quality your writing can have, but only if you do it well.

Anybody can slap together some basic advice, but to make people laugh is a skill that is difficult to master.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:59 AM
Contributing Member

Making people laugh with written word is by far the hardest skill to acquire!

I admire all writers who can incorporate humour into their work naturally - it's hard to acquire if not actually born with the talent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinchSells View Post
I definitely agree with that. Humour is the most valuable quality your writing can have, but only if you do it well.

Anybody can slap together some basic advice, but to make people laugh is a skill that is difficult to master.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Contributing Member

May agree, funny things, being really fun, attract attention. The funny advertising have always made better sales, but it depends much on the target audience, I believe.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:37 AM

I agree with the OP. However, the editor does not like it and on most occasions calls it as fluff.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:59 AM
Contributing Member

Writing with a tinge of humor begins with the writer's personal view of life. A writer who doesn't take himself too seriously would not fall into the trap of writing SEO-perfect articles which probably only search engines would care to read.

One other thing, an article with a humorous slant to it is a sure sign that it is unique and written by a real human being.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:35 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterMatrixe View Post
Writing with a tinge of humor begins with the writer's personal view of life. A writer who doesn't take himself too seriously would not fall into the trap of writing SEO-perfect articles which probably only search engines would care to read.

One other thing, an article with a humorous slant to it is a sure sign that it is unique and written by a real human being.
That's a really good point - about it being a true indication that it's being written by a real person. It may just be a matter of time however, till someone figures how to program humor as well! hehe...

Old 09-16-2011, 07:14 AM

I always wanted to be humor but every time I do that, the articles became too confusing to read. May be it's time to improve my humor

Old 09-16-2011, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member

Good point. So many articles are written now just to get back links and really don't have the user in mind. Writing creative articles that the user actually wants to read will win you more clients in the long run and improve your rankings organically.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:18 PM
Contributing Member

Seriously, who wants to read articles with highfalutin and lengthy words? Well, unless those are for formal writing. But if your topic does not require too much serious thoughts, putting some humor in it is a good idea to kill the boredom of the topic

Old 09-20-2011, 08:37 PM
Contributing Member

Truly effective, even myself did share and re-share article / blog posts which I find funny yet sensible.
I would only suggest in this type of writing of course to choose the proper word, giving your own personal life experience would really make more sense and sound agreeable for the readers.
As well as be careful not hitting below the belt, some readers would read it as serious and will take it personally giving comments on the humor the writers said not with the topic itself (which is pointless for me ).

Old 09-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Contributing Member

Sorry to disagree...

...but I have to offer a dissenting opinion.

Yes, many websites are bland and dull. However, would humor liven up an engineering website? Would that really help the perception of that company in the marketplace?

Humor is often totally out of place and can turn clients off quickly.

I remember about 10 years ago I was consulting for a metal fabrication shop in a business development capacity. When I went to meet with a new client at a job site, I wanted to make a good impression in what is a pretty stuffy industry. I joked around with the client (whom I had never met before). He didn't give me a lot of communication back. A few days later another contractor who we worked with, who also accompanied us on the site visit, told me the client said I was "too goofy." Fortunately, we kept the client and I was able to repair my reputation as a serious guy, but I had dug myself a pit with humor at the start.

Since then I've learned over and over that humor is not a good thing to use in selling situations. If you must, make sure you know your prospect before using it. Otherwise, you might turn them off.

[removed]

Last edited by robjones; 09-23-2011 at 01:22 PM.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:25 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Since then I've learned over and over that humor is not a good thing to use in selling situations. If you must, make sure you know your prospect before using it. Otherwise, you might turn them off.
That's the first thing do think before saying a joke or humor. Even in a real world, our day to day life, we cannot crack jokes with those we really know personally unless they give initiative. Thank God you've regained your reputation, this way might not be effective all the times again it really depends to people you are talking and reading.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:43 AM

I think the reason is that we all love being entertained. Virtually all of us will hit the couch in front of the TV for that reason. So when surfing through the swamp of boring dead writing on the net, if you happen to come upon something which just causes you to chuckle lightly, it stands out like a beacon-in-the-swamp.Lol And guess what? You want to find out what else this person has to say!

Old 01-14-2012, 10:33 AM

I agree that funny works. You'll absolutely get more links, tweets, Google+ with funny stuff.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web