Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue

Webmaster Revenue Discuss money making strategies, ideas to monetize your website or blog, tips and techniques to increase webmaster revenue, etc. This forum is NOT for promoting your own site or referral link.

Share |
Old 03-11-2012, 11:20 AM

How much would I earn?

Hello,

I own a forum focused on Olympic Sports, where sport fans from all around the world can discuss about sports and be always updated about all sports' results, especially about smaller sport events that doesn't get much attention on national sport newspapers (we are the only forum which follows events like Canoeing Pan-American Championships, Shooting World Cup etc. etc., and that's why many people are starting to find the forum through Google).

The forum is just 1 year old, and we currently have about 250.000 page views per month (6000-10000 per day).

Right now, I would prefer to don't put any ads and to keep it non-profit, but maybe in the future I can earn something out of the forum, since I work on it many hours per day. The good thing is that I am the only owner (even if the work is really a lot ) so I wouldn't have to split earnings with anyone.

But right now how much money would I earn ?

I don't need exact numbers, just your guess for your experiences, because I really don't know anything about it. Just to have an idea of how much the forum has to grow before I can put some ads.

I guess if I have to put some ads, I would do it with Google Ads, isn't it ?

Thank you!

ForzaLotta

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 12:09 PM
Contributing Member

Hello;

I had in the past a Tech forum which I sold for a good bucket, the good bucket was proposed only because of the earnings of my adsense. What I mean is that your forum won't forth a thing if it don't have incomes from advertisement, (even if you sell premium memberships). I would really advice you to include some advertisements, it would make earn about 8 to 30$ daily, depending on it's placement. I'm talking from experience point of view.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

You get a good amount of page views which would be good for adsense for sure.

You don't have to put up that many adsense blocks but can also sell banner ad space with the amount of traffic that you get. There are a ton of sports fans and sports website owners in the world so it wouldn't be hard to find a advertiser.

With your type of traffic, you shouldn't have any problems getting approved as a publisher on buysellads.com

You could also setup a premium membership on your forum if there is a way to do this. I don't know what forum software you are running right now.

Premium membership can have special perks as in more forum features, perhaps additional links in the signature, more PM storage room...etc

As your forum grows, you may out grow your current hosting package and need a dedicated server which cost money each month. I don't know if you are on a server yet but you have to think about the costs that will keep the forum running for many years as the site get's bigger and bigger. Sounds like your forum is going to continue to grow and not die down so plan on multiple revenue source's.

Let's get back to Google adsense on the forum. You can stick up the ads all over the place but for logged in members, have less ads showing. This will hopefully encourage more signups. For example, v7n has more adsense ads if you are logged out of your account and have a different setup for adsense when you logged in. Have no adsense ads showing for premium members in which costs whatever you charge a month or per year.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:19 PM

Thanks.

So much?! I thought it was max. 5 dollars per day, with 250k hits per month. I don't have any interest in selling the forum, so that's not a problem, whenever I want to start putting ads, I will.
So you really mean 8-30 dollars per day with Google Ads ?
Thanks,

ForzaLotta

Old 03-11-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
You get a good amount of page views which would be good for adsense for sure.

You don't have to put up that many adsense blocks but can also sell banner ad space with the amount of traffic that you get. There are a ton of sports fans and sports website owners in the world so it wouldn't be hard to find a advertiser.

With your type of traffic, you shouldn't have any problems getting approved as a publisher on buysellads.com

You could also setup a premium membership on your forum if there is a way to do this. I don't know what forum software you are running right now.

Premium membership can have special perks as in more forum features, perhaps additional links in the signature, more PM storage room...etc

As your forum grows, you may out grow your current hosting package and need a dedicated server which cost money each month. I don't know if you are on a server yet but you have to think about the costs that will keep the forum running for many years as the site get's bigger and bigger. Sounds like your forum is going to continue to grow and not die down so plan on multiple revenue source's.

Let's get back to Google adsense on the forum. You can stick up the ads all over the place but for logged in members, have less ads showing. This will hopefully encourage more signups. For example, v7n has more adsense ads if you are logged out of your account and have a different setup for adsense when you logged in. Have no adsense ads showing for premium members in which costs whatever you charge a month or per year.
Thanks man.
Some things:

1) I am already on a dedicated server with a professionist webmaster, I'm paying him with my money but I have decided at least after 2012 Olympics I won't put any ads, so that the forum will be more attractive for new users and they won't think it's just a way to earn money.

2) I'm against premium membership, I see it like a discrimination and one of the best thing of my forum is that there are sport fans from all around the world, from each country, from each age, from each gender etc., and if for a British fan it could be possible to pay 50 dollars, for a Zambian fan it would be much much more. Also, I have the feeling very few people would make the premium membership.

3) Can you give me some more informations about buysellads.com ? Is it a google ads substitute, or what ?

Thanks!

ForzaLotta

Old 03-11-2012, 12:28 PM

The amount you can earn depends a lot on the adwords user's who are bidding for position.

You could earn $10 one day, $6 another day and on another day earn $30. I don't own a forum no more but a few times on my blog i had clicks that was just over $3. I just have a blog and not a forum in which get's way more search engine traffic.

Remember to setup adsense channels on each adsense block so you can determine which locations are getting clicks and which ones are not.

BUYSELLADS.

Have a look at this page for more information. My site didn't get approved yet so i don't know to much on the inner workings yet. Your forum has way more traffic so i think it would get approved right away. http://buysellads.com/sell/overview

Old 03-11-2012, 12:36 PM

Thanks. Isn't 25% a bit too much ? Then, maybe Google ads takes even more, I don't know

Do google ads pay per click or per view ? Because even if I have 10000 page views per day, I think not so many people would click on ads.
Thanks.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:41 PM

Here is more info on Adsense.

https://support.google.com/adsense/b...02&ctx=sibling

25% wouldn't seem like a lot if you ask a lot for ad spots. If you combine both on the forum you'd earn more.

Remember some people may get ad blindness and not even pay attention to the adsense ad's. Buying ad slots is money in your pocket whether someone clicks on the ad or not. lol

Old 03-11-2012, 12:54 PM

Ok, I will see what it will be better. If I have understood well, I think as of today, I would earn ABOUT 300 dollars per month. Is that right ?

Considering the forum is 11 months old (and in first 2 months it was like a cemetery), I didn't think it was so much. If we still continue to grow like that in next years it could really become a gainful forum.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:57 PM
Contributing Member

Hello,

As you said it was a cemetry in first 2 months, can you tell us which methods you used to make it having such traffic in 3 months ?

Thank you

Old 03-11-2012, 03:15 PM

No particular method, just a lot of hard work. I found people in 2 different ways: contacting them through social networks (Facebook and Twitter) and posting some semi-spam messages in proper places (I have a list of all sport online newspapers and sites in which it's possible to post comments). Obviously you contact/reach 1000 people and 1 will join, 499 ignore you and 500 insult you, but that's normal.

Then people started to find the forum through Google and this is very good because the forum gets bigger and you don't have to make the 'dirty job' anymore, even if I'm never satisfied and I'm still searching people through social networks and sites.

Another thing I do is listing all users on a file, with all ways I can contact users so that I don't lose them (if they don't connect for some time and I have no ways to contact them, I delete the user from the forum).

Then obviously there is the content part, we offer one of the best content for sport fanatics, something that many other sport sites and forums don't do because they are just focused on 1-2 sports.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaLotta View Post

I don't need exact numbers, just your guess for your experiences, because I really don't know anything about it. Just to have an idea of how much the forum has to grow before I can put some ads.

I guess if I have to put some ads, I would do it with Google Ads, isn't it ?

Thank you!

ForzaLotta

Not necessarily, there are many other options that can make you even more money.

The problem with adsense is that they pay CPC, if you work with guys that have CPA options too you can make a lot more since the CPA rates are usually a lot higher.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:59 PM
Contributing Member

That is a nice number of pageviews but your earnings depend on the niche/keywords and CPC.

The quality of traffic also plays a big role. But IMO you should start doing good.

Just start out and see how things go and if you need a change in strategy.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue