Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 03-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol Tomany View Post
Just as an aside, I used to read a lot of Edward DeBono. One of his tricks was to get someone to give you 2 numbers - the first one under 500 and the next one under 50.
Now go to a dictionary, if you have one - this really doesn't work on line. Look up the first number as the page - hopefully your dictionary has about 500 pages - adjust the request accordingly. Now count down through the words with the second number, again presuming that there are 50 words in a double page spread. Once you find the word - use it in your writing or creative work.
LOL! I would rather write than go though that much effort. Nice post.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 02:07 AM
Contributing Member

I find that biggest writer's block is laziness, it's not about not being inspired, etc.
It comes from being too lazy to search, to evaluate, brainstorm, etc.
This's just my two cents.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:48 PM

I take a long walk and then just start slogging back to work even if nothing seems to hit... it's kinda like warming up a cold engine.

If you haven't, do check out the amazing tips on writing etc that I found in the book -- Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life!

Old 03-09-2012, 04:08 AM

Whenever I get stricken with the dreaded writer's block, I just drop everything and do something distracting. Smoke and drink coffee, watch a movie, go out. If I'm lucky, an idea will hit me whilst I'm slacking off. I usually bring a little notebook and pen with me just in case something strikes me. I write it down before my mental faculties fail me.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:59 AM

I have the same problem. That's why my blog is a disaster. I don't update it much often. My biggest problem is laziness. My advice is you could write down short notes, just keyword. After that you take each note and talk about it.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:47 AM
Contributing Member

I have that too. I usually don't consider it as a writer's block because I have tons of topics to write about, yet I am not in the mood to write. Is that some form of writer's block still?

Well, what I do is I go out. I take on a new road. I talk to friends, watch movies. I try to feel and use my 5 senses. After that, even the insignificant event can turn into a beautiful piece of written work.

If you are doing technical writing, then take a break first. Relax. Laugh. And get back to writing after that.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:01 AM

I noticed that if I write on my off peak hours, work tends to become a drudgery, making me less prolific or I get writer's block - a mental meltdown of sorts. External distractions can cause me mental blocks, too. So timing is an important part of my writing. When I write on my peak hours I can think more clearly and concentrate without having to contend with the distractions at home.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:00 AM
Contributing Member

A good glass of Bordeaux always takes the writer's block away, at least for me

Old 04-06-2012, 10:35 AM

Someone once said to just start writing about something that makes you mad.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Contributing Member

Sometimes I drink. Sometimes I go for a walk. Sometimes I blow something up or kill somebody--in my writing, of course. Sometimes I do two at a time or even all three.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by spades View Post
Someone once said to just start writing about something that makes you mad.
Hmmm, i could write a novel then. lol

<---- has writers block right now. Hopefully this snake will write something tonight.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:19 AM

Thumbs up I don't think there's writer's block

It is not a thing to worry about. When I think that I'm unable to write,then what is the point for trying to write. I use that time for refreshment. Sports and playing with children will help you a lot. If you're a professional writer, then instead of writing for your profession,try writing for your passion. Ideas do not come on stressing your mind,they strike your mind when you're indulged in other activities of life. Just when you get an idea,then write without thinking. Write without break,even if it has to be like repeating the same line or words. Sounds strange,but it does help. Best time to write is to write just after waking up. I've tried it and it works. I find help from playing with words and learning new things,whether it is related to my work or not. Keep smiling,make your mind tension free,happiness is the best medication for any type of block,whether it's writer's or heart's. And the last thing is there's nothing like writer's block,you can't create quality content always. I have to put effort if words do not come to my mind,but it's not as good as effort less writing. So write without worrying and smile even if you can't write. You're in world to live and help others to live,not to write. I get happiness in that too and then I see,I get better ideas to write.
I hope this article will create a better joyful environment for your mind.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:34 AM

Gathering ideas will be key. You can research for the topic via top articles site - research a few posts. With one post you can gather one main point and two sub-points. Work on getting 3 main points. Add in the intro. Add in the conclusion. 80 words per paragraph. Using this approach you can easily create a 400+ words articles within 1 hour. It take that long as I am slow in my typing.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:08 PM

A nice glass of red wine!

Old 04-16-2012, 03:07 PM
Contributing Member

When I face a writer's block, I check the wallet. The thinner it is - the weaker the block. Greediness makes miracles :p

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web