Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue

Webmaster Revenue Discuss money making strategies, ideas to monetize your website or blog, tips and techniques to increase webmaster revenue, etc. This forum is NOT for promoting your own site or referral link.

Share |
Old 04-16-2012, 03:20 AM

Suggest me and advertising option

I have been looking for the ways to earn revenue from my new website. When i looked through so many websites, i decided to provide advertising space on my website.

Since i am new here, i am confused whether to provide option like ppc, ppm and the cost of it. Is there any standard cost for ppm or ppc, or it should be decided on the traffic or seo popularity?

Please help me with this. To be clear, i want you to tell me about the way of advertising option (PPC or PPM) and suggest me the visit to cost ratio to be followed..

Thanks in advance.

Bharathi Priya

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 12:46 PM
Contributing Member

in most cases its a trial and error process to find out the best that works.

CPM works well when you have high traffic site. otherwise ppc ads could be a choice.
I personally prefer fixed cost ads for <750,000 traffic sites.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:35 AM

I think for the begining the best option is adsense with cpc. When you will have more traffic you can think at other type of monetizing your website.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:11 AM

Not sure if you'd considered AdSense but that would be the easiest way to start with running ads. Even if you wanted to run your own system later you could experiment with AdSense to find the best placements within your site.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:36 PM

CPM - Advertiser pays you for every thousand impressions. Best for sites that have high traffic and regular visitors who are unlikely to click on an ad. Has a higher conversion rate than CPP. Popular ones are Tribalfusion and Casale Media.

CPP - Advertiser pays for every click. You still need a lot of visitors since there is a very low ration of people who comes to your site and those that will click an ad. Most notable CPP network is Google Adsense and they can pay you I think somewhere from 0.10 to 2 per click. And don't click on your own ads!

Best for new site would probably be CPP since it's unlikely you'll get a thousand views unless you've really marketed your site well. You should also consider joining some affiliate networks if you want more revenue streams.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:25 PM
Contributing Member

I don't think it really matters how new your site is as to whether your choose CPM, CPC (PPC), or even CPA - the choice is more about how much time and effort you are prepared to spend on making those ads convert.

The easiest way to compare the different options is through eCPM (effective cost per mille), which basically tells you how much you would likely earn from a thousand impressions taking into account the click through rate (CTR) for PPC and CPA ads, as well as the conversion rates for CPA ads - to give you an estimation.

The outline below are with regard to small/medium publishers - as if you are a premium publisher you can command much higher rates on a CPM basis either through private sales or premium representation.

CPM ads are the least effort on the part of the publisher as you are paid a set fee per thousand impressions no matter how many users click on them and how many of those convert into sales/actions for the advertiser. Because all the risk of conversion on these ads is with the advertiser, publishers tend to earn lower rates eCPMs, but you do just put the ads up and leave them alone.

PPC/CPC ads sit in the middle because the risk of users clicking the ads fall on the publisher - meaning it becomes in your interest to better place and promote those ads within your site. But how those users convert after the click remains with the advertiser. If you can generate a decent CTR with your site then you should be able to earn more through PPC/CPC as a small/medium publisher than via CPM.

CPA (affiliate) ads mean all the risk is left with the publisher as it is down to your to make sure users both click on those ads and then buy something or perform some other action on the advertiser's site. If you can make your users convert well then these can be the most lucrative, but they are by far the most work to promote.

Depending on the site and your motivations you should choose which method suits your particular needs better - there is no right or wrong answer.

Last edited by snakeair; 04-26-2012 at 09:18 PM. Reason: self promoting not allowed

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue