Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 06-18-2012, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

How to Write Winning Web Content: 10 New Rules

You may or maynot agree with what this blog author has said but you can post your opinions on these rules in this thread to discuss them in further detail.

Quote:
With its latest Penguin algorithm updates, Google has once again redefined the Internet. And the verdict is in: keyword-stuffed, SEO writing is dead.

This is great news for real writers. We can forget about writing for search engines, and write for human beings.

Even better, writers with a good understanding of the web have never been more in demand. If content was “King” pre-Penguin, it is now the undisputed dictator.

The new rules for writing web content are actually no different from those that have been best practiced all along: good content should communicate, entertain, inform and persuade. Good web writing is pithy, opinionated and brimming with personality.

Writing for the web remains different from that of any other medium. People rarely read web pages all the way through. Instead, they scan a web page, picking out individual words and sentences. Writers therefore need to be cunning and deliberate in the way we craft our web content.
Continued at: http://www.sitepronews.com/2012/06/1...-10-new-rules/

You know what, there are 11 rules that I see in this blog post. Attention to detail is one thing to remember when writing. This means go back and proofread to make sure you got everything in the article before making it available to public view.

Any thoughts?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-09-2012, 12:03 AM
Blue Rose Mentor

Some of these I do follow like headings, lists, also imagery helps when I have a hard topic to write about. I always write as I speak, lol everywhere , not just blogs, so in a way it kinda stops me from gaining airs, playing the geek and using languages that only a dictionary can define. lol.

I wasn't aware that sentences need to be short though, and that the passive voice needs to be cut out a bit. I learned something new today.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:08 AM
Contributing Member

These are "new rules" why ? Not saying I fully agree but I also see nothing new. Google algorithm updates have not effected proper content writing, it has effected junk and garbage writing.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:19 PM

The one point, or the one which stands out to me, which I disagree with is front-loading content.

Front-loading may work fine for journalists, as suggested in the article, when one's readers are more likely scanners and want the goods up front; this is, however, a holdover from print media and the web offers features print media does not have, so the rules which apply to print media do not necessarily apply to the web.

The web is a place where conciseness counts. Keeping paragraphs short is easier for the reader, makes it more likely that a reader will continue through the article, and especially more likely that a reader will return if the writing style is comfortable to them.

Paragraphing, sentence structure, verb usage, these are rules which obviously need to be followed to form the basics of written communication, however, creativity in any art will break the rules from time to time, and when a rule will restrict creativity, then the rule needs to take a backseat to creativity; a rule is still a guideline but it should not interfere with creativity.

Yes, bad habits will creep in, such as my tendency to write run-on sentences, but bad habits can still follow rules, they are just our way of being ourselves and natural in our writing, and one's own voice is what makes them stand out in a crowd, not keeping in step with everybody else in the crowd.

A bad habit that should be avoided is giving away the price of your product without selling the benefits; this is akin to knocking on a door and asking if they would like to give you 4000 for a water conditioner.

Whether a product, an idea, or yourself, the presentation is the same: front-load a lead-in to a conclusion, but do not give your conclusion away, give them instead a reason to continue by peaking their curiosity, adding benefits (value or subtext if you will), then close (give your conclusion).

Example (a writer's proposal):

"As your writer, I provide content rich articles optimized for keywords to bring search engine traffic to you. The value of my services as your writer far exceeds the small investment you are making to grow your business."

Also notice important factors in the above paragraph:

1) Use of ownership in "your writer". A strong factor in selling is to put what you are selling in the client's hands. This is very important where intangibles are concerned as you are getting the client use to owning it already, which makes it easier to close on something they already own rather than something they are buying.

2) Investment is used instead of price, fee, or cost. We associate certain meaning to words and are defensive when it comes to certain words as well. An investment represents a two-fold process which includes a return, whereas price, cost, and fee are perceived as one-way without recouping it.

3) Don't use language which suggests doubt such as "I think", "could", or "might". Though I sometimes instruct others to use "I can" in this particular case "I provide" or "I will" leaves no room for doubt.

"Writing online for over ten years and providing hundreds of articles for others which continue to benefit them today, I have the experience to make your content valid, original, and something that gives back to you for a long time to come."

The above is a tie-in paragraph which adds benefits to the original paragraph, keeping a flow going from one paragraph to the next. The language again is positive, and instills ownership, but do notice that no mention of investment is made as that was done in the original paragraph and everything until the conclusion, which is your close, makes it their's.

"What you would expect to pay others to use their content is more than the small investment of 15 cents per word you are putting into your own content, which I will provide for you on a prompt schedule you set and look forward to working with you."

An important factor in the closing paragraph above is to continue past the offer and not end with it, and to assume the close; asking for a sale is not going to get a sale. Another important factor is never badmouth your competition, but it is okay to use language which separates you from the competition, and in this case ownership and investment are used as an alternative to paying for something from someone else.

Yes, the above example is from a sales perspective, but a lot of what is used to craft a proposal can be used by a webmaster to sell their services, their ebooks, or interest a reader in checking out their affiliate links. Webmasters are not necessarily any different from salespeople and marketers as we are trying to get people to our sites and give them a reason to stay or to buy from us.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:15 PM
Contributing Member

I agree with the rules stated in the article when it comes to web writing. But I disagree when she said that "SEO is dead." For me, SEO is not dead. It's just that Google is more strict now in measuring what is ethical SEO and what is not.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:46 AM

I think we must agree with this threat, because this is the reality. Keyword stuffing is part of spam. Avoid doing keyword stuffing and duplication content.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward69 View Post
I think we must agree with this threat, because this is the reality. Keyword stuffing is part of spam. Avoid doing keyword stuffing and duplication content.
i am scared of this keyword stuffing...is there any tool to check keyword stuffing? i know keyword density tools...but heard these are some crap ideas....i didn't find any clear guideline about keyword stuffing....

how may times should i use my keyword for a 500 words article?

Old 07-16-2012, 09:46 AM
Contributing Member

There is no set limit. All this SEO is dead and keyword stuffing crap is just to do exactly what it is doing to you, it's called scarcity!

It is a fact* that your content must contain keywords, semantically related words, a proper flesch kincaid grade level according to your niche, and have proper grammar in order to get good rankings.

This is what will help you in your rankings because this is what quality content is. I am not going to talk about keyword stuffing because I personally think it is bogus. Some content you obviously will mention a word many times over, this does not mean you are keyword stuffing your page.

This is also why you use semantically related words, so you do not mention a single word too many times. This is a breakdown of how the english language works. Take "dog" as a keyword and then use some of the hypernyms in your content.

dog, domestic dog, Canis familiaris
=> canine, canid
=> carnivore
=> placental, placental mammal, eutherian, eutherian mammal
=> mammal, mammalian
=> vertebrate, craniate
=> chordate
=> animal, animate being, beast, brute, creature, fauna
=> organism, being
=> living thing, animate thing
=> whole, unit
=> object, physical object
=> physical entity
=> entity
=> domestic animal, domesticated animal
=> animal, animate being, beast, brute, creature, fauna
=> organism, being
=> living thing, animate thing
=> whole, unit
=> object, physical object
=> physical entity
=> entity

If you notice the at the bottom you will see "entity", this is because every single word in the english language starts as an entity. Not all of the hypernyms above will be used when writing content using the word "dog".

Looking at the hypernyms though you should be able to tell what words would belong in your content. These related words are very important for higher search rankings and yes this is a part of SEO. Semantically related words to "dog" would be something like puppies or pets. Using hypernyms, related words, semantically related words are all important for quality content.

Your best bet is to either do your research on proper content writing or hire an expert to teach you about proper keyword research and proper quality writing.

* You could always do link baiting instead and say something like "SEO IS DEAD" to get attention from others and get them to share your post and make comments on your post / website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obosh View Post
i am scared of this keyword stuffing...is there any tool to check keyword stuffing? i know keyword density tools...but heard these are some crap ideas....i didn't find any clear guideline about keyword stuffing....

how may times should i use my keyword for a 500 words article?

Last edited by Ord Allenbea; 07-16-2012 at 09:50 AM.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web