Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue

Webmaster Revenue Discuss money making strategies, ideas to monetize your website or blog, tips and techniques to increase webmaster revenue, etc. This forum is NOT for promoting your own site or referral link.

Share |
Old 08-08-2012, 01:12 AM

5 Reasons Why Affiliate + Adsense ONLY Monetization Sucks!

Now that's a very strong title to begin with and it's not meant to crucify all the affiliates or merchants here,... I just want to share my random thoughts.

I've been thinking about affiliate + Adsense-Only business model for some time and I think that model is a subpar! I'm also thinking this is especially true for sites that promote hard goods.

I will take my site as an example. I'm currently hitting 150 uniques daily and 500ish pageviews daily. But I've notice that most of my visitors 80% to 90% are New Visitors very few return visitors (according to Analytics).

Meanwhile, I promote 10 affiliate products across all pages on my site simply by weaving the product links into my contents. Visitors read, and then click! click!! click!!!

Quote:
***Sidenote***
Those clicks ain't $$$ yet those are just clicks. Yes I know, there's a tracking cookie but who says the cookies will stay on visitors' computers for the 30-45days tracking period. Many people now clean their PC periodically.
Now, these are my points:
1.) I think have poor return visits because my visitors have found what they're looking for on the other site I referred them to. So why should they return. They can simply bookmark those sites and 4get about my site.

2.) Google notices that once it refers visitors to my site, they go over to X,Y,Z sites. So why should Google keep sending visitor to my site? G can as well place these merchants sites ahead of mine and serve them directly in Search results.

3.) Hundreds or possibly thousands of affiliates keep sending clients to merchant site. That means truck-loads of free backlinks for the merchant. Note that MOST merchants request that the visitor must checkout on their websites and not yours. Now, don't you want to start an affiliate program just yet?

4.) I know one way to keep them coming back is to find a way to start an email list or something of sort. Problem is, not all affiliate business models tend towards that approach.

5.) Even if I have an awesome CTR and conversion rate, very few merchants offer 2nd level commission. Meaning, I only get paid for first purchase my refered visitor make, how about subsequent purchase, which IMO are often in large volumes.

Interesting thing is, some of these merchants do NOT even have the kind of contents that I have so why should I keep sending visitor to them. So, using affiliate + Adsense only business model means you are leaving a lot of money on the table. Period!

If you've read this far, then I have a question for you:

Won't it be nice to have your own product, digital, downloadable product and have affiliate sending you links and traffic?

and that's why I'm here.... see and read how successful webmasters have done it...

That's it. Shoot and share your thoughts.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-09-2012, 02:22 AM
Contributing Member

Affiliate marketing is far easy to do, than creating own product and completing. It may not be as much rewarding as having your own product, but this requires less effort, skill, money, time and everything else. Less risky as well.

If you are talking about clickbank kind of ebooks, it is probably right. But most products affiliates like me promote are created by companies spending millions and fighting their way to top. It is a lot easy to refer someone to a really good product / service, than creating a really good product / service yourself.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:59 AM

well, having your own product is not that easy. if you don't have a mind blowing product means you wont get any sales irrespective of affiliates you have!

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue