Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 10-18-2012, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Become an Authoritative Writer in Any Niche

The opening line of this blog post is important.

Quote:
Letís get one thing out of the way: You donít need to be an expert on a subject to write great content, but you need to look like one.

People are smarter than you think when it comes to judging authenticity, and they hate to be lied to. If you want to write great content, people need to believe you know what youíre talking aboutĖand you need to believe it too.

Of course, if you already had some expertise in the subject before the client asked for it, thatís great! But it takes an average of 10,000 hours to become an expert in a subject, and rather than billing a client for 10,000 hours, there are other options.

Itís super simple to look like an expert in any subject; all youíll need is a handful of browser tabs, a notebook, a phone, and an hour of your time. These things need an example, so letís imagine Iím writing a blog post about an...
Continued at: http://www.blueglass.com/blog/author...-niche-writer/

Any feedback on this blog post?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-19-2012, 02:52 PM

All true!

I went to school for media writing and we were taught to learn all those tactics. We were broken down and rebuilt with tough skins to not only take criticism but to learn from it as well. I guess I kind of feel like these are writing fundamentals, I mean how many of us have gotten warned about plagiarism? Probably all of us at least once, and what was the result? Well if you're still a writer now, then I think the result was that you learned good research meant quality content and giving credit where credit is due.

I guess as a wee writer I was always upset when someone took credit for my writing, but as an adult that is rarely a problem. Furthermore, I think that appearing authoritative in your writing comes from citing several sources - NOT pretending that you're some all-knowing being who originated a ton of ideas lol.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
The opening line of this blog post is important.

Continued at: http://www.blueglass.com/blog/author...-niche-writer/

Any feedback on this blog post?
Hi,

I think it's true to some extent, but there's another perspective on this topic.

You don't need to be an expert in order to succeed in a niche, what's more, you don't even have to look like an expert.

This is a strategy that I learned a few months ago from a rather successful webmaster, who builds sites based on NOT what he know, but on what he has NO IDEA about.

How?

His explanation: by having no idea on his subject, he knows VERY WELL what his audience doesn't know about the subject, too, so he can provide excellent content for them: all he has to do is look at what frustrates him the most.

This way, he's actually part of the target market himself, and can find out a lot easier what content he has to cover to satisfy his visitors' needs.

Just an idea, but it's worth considering: you don't need to back out of a niche just because you don't know anything about it. Being "the guy who researches,learns and shares his experiences " can be your USP even... And guess what: after a while, you WILL become the expert.

Steve

Old 11-04-2012, 10:34 AM

This is a brilliant approach to niche marketing! I've heard of another successful information marketer who would master tasks and then sell his know-how to others, but I had not heard of anybody succeeding by being a kind of general professional newbie. Great idea - thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenfabian View Post
Hi,

I think it's true to some extent, but there's another perspective on this topic.

You don't need to be an expert in order to succeed in a niche, what's more, you don't even have to look like an expert.

This is a strategy that I learned a few months ago from a rather successful webmaster, who builds sites based on NOT what he know, but on what he has NO IDEA about.

How?

His explanation: by having no idea on his subject, he knows VERY WELL what his audience doesn't know about the subject, too, so he can provide excellent content for them: all he has to do is look at what frustrates him the most.

This way, he's actually part of the target market himself, and can find out a lot easier what content he has to cover to satisfy his visitors' needs.

Just an idea, but it's worth considering: you don't need to back out of a niche just because you don't know anything about it. Being "the guy who researches,learns and shares his experiences " can be your USP even... And guess what: after a while, you WILL become the expert.

Steve

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web