Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 11-03-2012, 06:49 PM

Do something the majority isn't which is write your own unique content and do it on a weekly basis. Being lazy is not going to get you anywhere near the top.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 09:31 PM

In my snippet quoted below

I would never base an article on another single article. For one thing, what if that source article is full of mistakes? Then you'll pass those same mistakes on through the article you produce. Depending on where your article ends up, you could even be in some hot water if you do that, even if you had spun it enough to make it 100% unique in Google's eyes.

my point was that unchecked and inaccurate "facts" can at best spread misinformation and at worst cause harm to somebody, potentially leading to reputation damage or even lawsuit, in rare cases. This is an issue for all writers online and off. I don't see any connection between that and the idea below of passing on incorrect SEO marketing advice, since I wasn't talking about marketing here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ord Allenbea View Post
This is exactly why you will see bad advice on forum after forum (ie: duplicate content penalty) because many just take some regurgitated crap from some so called marketer and they post the same thing trying to make themselves look like a real marketer.

People will always do this no matter how much you try to teach them or even prove to them that it is not beneficial to their business.

About my next snippet,

The biggest problem with lazy spinning is its ethics, though. Bad ethics seem to be contagious, and the last thing we need is more people behaving badly.

I would disagree that there are no ethics involved. Laziness often leads to bad ethics, since good ethics take more effort to live by, and it's easier to try to cheat in some way.

Maybe our attitude toward laziness and cheating is why all published writers in the Western world are concerned about plagiarism, and why a screenplay that is a thinly-disguised rewrite (spun version) of somebody else's original screenplay causes a scandal when people find out about it, and why it's grounds for lawsuits and reparation payments, as well as being the downfall of nascent careers.

But I would agree that spinning or retelling has a long and respectable tradition in literature - Shakespeare did it, as did Cervantes (Don Quixote), Chaucer (Canterbury Tales), Homer (Oddysey), Boccaccio (Decameron), Hans Christian Anderson (Little Mermaid), the Grimm Brothers (Grimm's Fairytales), and more. I think it depends on what culture you belong to whether you think it's OK or not to make a disguised copy of somebody else's work. Maybe our culture is changing. Heck, it is certainly changing.

But when Shakespeare plagiarized, at least he improved on the original.

I also completely agree with your marketing points below.

Quote:
Spinning has nothing to do with ethics. People are just lazy and they want that instant gratification. They assume by mass submitting their junk to junk article directories they are doing something good. This makes them feel good because they love to fool themselves into thinking they are building a business.

TV Stations, Newspapers, and even Hollywood has spun content long before the internet became popular. Nothing wrong with it as long as you throw away the IM junk software that some moron marketer sold you and start using your brain to rewrite and spin your content humanly.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:43 PM
Contributing Member

Oh I agree with your first point but understand just because someone says they spin an article does not mean they are lazy. This is the problem the word "spinning" has been degraded by so called marketers with their junk software that replaces words here and there or even grabs (by scraping) articles off sites to rewrite.

This is not what spinning content is even though the general population in marketing thinks it is. I can perfectly take an article that I have written and rewrite each paragraph 5 times and humanly spin that article so it gives me an easy 20 articles at 80%+ in uniqueness.

Mind you now I said that "I WRITE" and not copy from, steal, go by some other article and etc. This is not being lazy but it is being efficient with my time to produce the content that I need. It will save me several hours (if not days) of writing.

I am not disagreeing with you but I wish others would understand that some article marketers actually do take the time to properly humanly spin content that will be 100% written by them and will be fully understandable and readable without using junk software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigmcontent View Post
In my snippet quoted below

I would never base an article on another single article. For one thing, what if that source article is full of mistakes? Then you'll pass those same mistakes on through the article you produce. Depending on where your article ends up, you could even be in some hot water if you do that, even if you had spun it enough to make it 100% unique in Google's eyes.

my point was that unchecked and inaccurate "facts" can at best spread misinformation and at worst cause harm to somebody, potentially leading to reputation damage or even lawsuit, in rare cases. This is an issue for all writers online and off. I don't see any connection between that and the idea below of passing on incorrect SEO marketing advice, since I wasn't talking about marketing here.

About my next snippet,

The biggest problem with lazy spinning is its ethics, though. Bad ethics seem to be contagious, and the last thing we need is more people behaving badly.

I would disagree that there are no ethics involved. Laziness often leads to bad ethics, since good ethics take more effort to live by, and it's easier to try to cheat in some way.

Maybe our attitude toward laziness and cheating is why all published writers in the Western world are concerned about plagiarism, and why a screenplay that is a thinly-disguised rewrite (spun version) of somebody else's original screenplay causes a scandal when people find out about it, and why it's grounds for lawsuits and reparation payments, as well as being the downfall of nascent careers.

But I would agree that spinning or retelling has a long and respectable tradition in literature - Shakespeare did it, as did Cervantes (Don Quixote), Chaucer (Canterbury Tales), Homer (Oddysey), Boccaccio (Decameron), Hans Christian Anderson (Little Mermaid), the Grimm Brothers (Grimm's Fairytales), and more. I think it depends on what culture you belong to whether you think it's OK or not to make a disguised copy of somebody else's work. Maybe our culture is changing. Heck, it is certainly changing.

But when Shakespeare plagiarized, at least he improved on the original.

I also completely agree with your marketing points below.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:33 PM

I had in mind the general marketing population's concept of spinning, which is as you said. Interesting how we worked together to bring out this distinction: "Spinning is not lazy plagiarizing if you're spinning your own stuff in a quality way, preferably by hand." Funny how things work out. Agreeable, in fact.

Quote:
Oh I agree with your first point but understand just because someone says they spin an article does not mean they are lazy. This is the problem the word "spinning" has been degraded by so called marketers with their junk software that replaces words here and there or even grabs (by scraping) articles off sites to rewrite.

This is not what spinning content is even though the general population in marketing thinks it is. I can perfectly take an article that I have written and rewrite each paragraph 5 times and humanly spin that article so it gives me an easy 20 articles at 80%+ in uniqueness.

Mind you now I said that "I WRITE" and not copy from, steal, go by some other article and etc. This is not being lazy but it is being efficient with my time to produce the content that I need. It will save me several hours (if not days) of writing.

I am not disagreeing with you but I wish others would understand that some article marketers actually do take the time to properly humanly spin content that will be 100% written by them and will be fully understandable and readable without using junk software.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:05 AM

i personally prefer hand written articles, the spinning software do save time but usually the meaning of your information also changes. with hand written articles you can make sure there are no mistakes and your message is properly sent.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:21 AM

Spinning Sucks

Do not spin articles for two reasons.
1. Auto spinners just write Garbage (goodbye Google Rankings)
2. manual spinners take longer to use than simply just rewriting an article yourself.

If you do rewrite however do not repeat the same phrases or even the same style or formatting, mix it up so the article becomes its own creation.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Contributing Member

People write garbage not auto spinners - Garbage in = Garbage out. Software spinners teach people to be lazy by having them replace words here and there. While I do not agree with software spinners because they are junk, no need to blame the software for the writer being lazy.

I disagree that manually spinning takes longer than re-writing because that is exactly what manually spinning is - "Re-Writing". Most people that say this do not understand how to manually spin their content properly so they just say it takes longer.

You can save many many hours of work by manually spinning your content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marse View Post
Do not spin articles for two reasons.
1. Auto spinners just write Garbage (goodbye Google Rankings)
2. manual spinners take longer to use than simply just rewriting an article yourself.

If you do rewrite however do not repeat the same phrases or even the same style or formatting, mix it up so the article becomes its own creation.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:23 AM

Quote:
People write garbage not auto spinners - Garbage in = Garbage out. Software spinners teach people to be lazy by having them replace words here and there. While I do not agree with software spinners because they are junk, no need to blame the software for the writer being lazy.

I disagree that manually spinning takes longer than re-writing because that is exactly what manually spinning is - "Re-Writing". Most people that say this do not understand how to manually spin their content properly so they just say it takes longer.

You can save many many hours of work by manually spinning your content.
Okay I was talking about spinning software you know those that require you to select the synonyms yourself.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:51 AM

I used to use software that would "Import" posts to my blog. What I was getting was absolute garbage, so I had to stop using it. Every time that I checked, I had to re-write the @#*$#@ post anyway. Bad grammar, spelling, as well as crap content (I deleted most of it). Anyway, I have used a couple of "Spinners" to see what the would do.
I found myself spending more time changing wording and interjecting keywords and original copy, then I would have just writing a fresh article. So, I write fresh articles.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

I am not the best writer in the world but I like writing my own content rather then use a software to spin someone else's content that they wrote. Sometimes you just have to get the dust off the old thinking cap and type something up without using any type of software.

I don't write for the search engines like some people do. Just write about something and proofread it a few times to make it perfect. It may take longer then expected but at least you know it's coming from your heart.

If you search v7n forum, there a few more threads talking about spinning content and there is lot's of good replies in them. If you have a few minutes, search this forum.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:17 PM
Contributing Member

I agree always use your own content and never copy from someone else. Readers are more opt to continue reading stuff that "you" produce in your "own" words.

While quality does matter (always has) it does not mean your writing has to be 100% perfect. You do however need to touch your readers emotions (coming from your heart) so they do come back for more or even share with others what they have read. Engaging magnetic content will always out-preform any other type of content no matter how it is written or who it is written for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
I am not the best writer in the world but I like writing my own content rather then use a software to spin someone else's content that they wrote. Sometimes you just have to get the dust off the old thinking cap and type something up without using any type of software.

I don't write for the search engines like some people do. Just write about something and proofread it a few times to make it perfect. It may take longer then expected but at least you know it's coming from your heart.

If you search v7n forum, there a few more threads talking about spinning content and there is lot's of good replies in them. If you have a few minutes, search this forum.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web