Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 02-26-2012, 11:21 PM
Contributing Member

Yes, it's right! Great content is about making it valuable for your target readers. But the problem is, sometimes a writer does not know who are the target readers or those who will benefit from the former's content. Making a great content is about having it as a useful resource.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 03:02 PM

Right it all depends on what you're using it for. If its for reading then obviously you want a GOOD quality written article. For traffic or article submission, it could be ok

Old 03-12-2012, 05:51 AM
Contributing Member

If I keep coming back to that article for reference then I consider it as a great article. If it has sparked in me some emotions that have influenced my life decisions then, it is a great article. If I commented on that article telling the author how thankful I am for that psot, then it has a great content, indeed.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:31 AM

Invest as much time as you possibly can into the content, do intense research. It's so important that your marketing is content based, thats how all the big companies are going.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:47 PM
Contributing Member

May I add in my previous comment that great content is timely and of course free of grammatical errors as well as thoughts flow smoothly. Great content should be presented for humans and not for robots.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:48 AM
Contributing Member

Having a unique content is most important thing. Surprisingly you still see high ranked people do copy other people's work. Ferid in CNN did this once and it is a shock to me. Young university students know that this is wrong and it shocks me how a guy with that resume has done it.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:24 AM
Contributing Member

Well, it comes down to the fact that the word "great" is really ambiguous and can be comprehended differently by various people. One can think of a content that is great and the other can think that it's not worth reading. This is quite an individual topic to discuss...

Old 09-11-2012, 10:56 AM
Contributing Member

This is very objectionable topic. Yahoo says they have great articles, where the intend is only to get page views rather than giving helpful info. Yet, they are alive and doing better than ever before. Great has a different meaning when you read articles through say ehow.com for instance, where you actually get great info.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:06 AM

Interesting to read but some of those are boring. But on an average "great contents".

Old 09-18-2012, 09:50 PM

I think more simple. In my writing, I show you what i want to share, where/when i got that experience, myself advices, resources that I learn from, and of course what inspired me to write this.. just my thought.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsonmycar View Post
This is very objectionable topic. Yahoo says they have great articles, where the intend is only to get page views rather than giving helpful info. Yet, they are alive and doing better than ever before. Great has a different meaning when you read articles through say ehow.com for instance, where you actually get great info.
You can't talk about what's "good" or "great" without knowing what you're aiming for. It's all about the reaction or state of mind you're trying to create in your readers. What's good in an encyclopedia entry may not be good in a sales letter. What's good in a sales letter may not be good in a (supposedly honest) review. What's good in a review may not be good in a set of instructions. Etc., etc., etc.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:13 AM

That was an great share. More importantly, I agree 100% with author with a majority of the valid points stated throughout the article.

Now, before I READ the article my preconception of what "Great Content'" was:

Well written, well researched, informative, helpful content that's not only compelling but flows smoothly as if the reader isn't even reading.

The only my above definition lacked was "Purpose," which I picked up by perusing the article provided.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:38 AM

As a member said 'popularity doesn't mean effectiveness'. I don't think that Social Media optimization and post shares quantity on FB, Twitter, Digg and etc means so much. IMO great content is something like:
1. originality
2. 300-1000 words volume
3. 4-20 pictures with lightbox like effects
4. video / sound embeds
5. some fascinating front-end techniques
6. few internal and few external links
7. personal opinion and engaging writing style, metaphors, humor...
8. analysis with numbers, graphics and etc...(sounds kinda nerdy )

Old 10-05-2012, 01:35 PM

This is probably a question you know the answer to but for the sake of conversation great content is when you write something that fulfills a certain need your audience has in a way that makes them appreciate you for your writing and as a result people share it with their friends because it makes them feel good and they want others to feel the same.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:55 PM
Contributing Member

I've said it before that customers, users, and readers are the ones who can define a great content. Remember, most of the readers know nothing about the author of that content. So managing to catch their attention without them knowing you is one great definition of great contents.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:26 AM
v7n Mentor

I take my example of great content from magazines such as outdoor life and field and stream.

Some of the writers for those magazines pull the reader into the story. While reading the article, I can visualize the setting, what the writer is doing,,, its kinda like watching a movie instead of reading an article

Old 10-15-2012, 08:38 PM

The shared blog post has merits, though it is too general, meaning, anyone who is running an online business should already know these things the article writer Lee Odden speaks of. There are also bit of a flaw within the article

"Not ALL content needs to be customer defined of course, because many people simply don’t know what they want or like. There are plenty of opportunities to produce content in support of defining a new market, category, concept or way of thinking"

Because ALL people who will come across your content DO KNOW what they want and also like, to assume it otherwise is flaw in logic and understanding your audience.

Also the writer suggests "Great content isn’t great until it’s consumed and shared." too general is this view point, because you may just as well create content that you don't want to be shared, rather convert into your call to action to be fulfilled.

Therefore, great content covers a wide department, and cannot be generalized within a simple article, since the fundamentals of great content is for the target audience relate. Regardless of who the audience is, meaning if for link baiting, then the audience changes from your potential customers who would buy from you, to, webmasters who would enjoy sharing useful content that may help their own visitors (the list can go on and one)
But as far as content on a online business website (not a blog) is concerned, what makes it great is quite simple really =
In a split second when potential customer visits, h/she must be able to say (in mind)
Where in the world am I?
What can I do here ? read? see images? get answers? etc
Why should I stay here and do those things?
Then, (because research is already conducted on potential customer profiling) communicating towards their needs (whether you use, pain or pleasure, or both principles) whether you use images videos etc. You must NOT try at all to sell, rather, enlighten, of the values of what you offer. Which opens up another can of worms, because, how one relays that information is not by communicating those values, rather make the reader paint the picture on their own accord. Since when that is accomplished, you are not really selling anything at all (people resist being sold to online) rather you let them do the buying because you have understood and enlightened them, as to, how life will be different because they traded with you. Its all about trade, because 1 sale is easy to do online, but to have loyal customers who become your loyal advocates is what great content must be able to do.

Well that's my thoughts on that post and replies already shared

Old 11-15-2012, 04:16 AM

Four Simple Rules for Great Content

For me Great content is too the point and informative. If it answers these questions then I am happy:
1. What it is
2. What it does
3. Why I need it
4. Where or how can i get it

Old 11-20-2012, 08:37 AM

The most relevant idea in that blog post was the idea of seeing
things through the eyes of the customer. Isn't that what writing
copy is supposed to do?

I think that great content is information that does what it was intended
to do - inform, create interest, make someone laugh, etc., in an original
way and is not just a repeat of what someone else's thoughts are.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Closed Thread