Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue

Webmaster Revenue Discuss money making strategies, ideas to monetize your website or blog, tips and techniques to increase webmaster revenue, etc. This forum is NOT for promoting your own site or referral link.

Share |
Old 09-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Mobile Click Fraud on Rise

It was only a matter of time till the click fraud moved over to the mobile side. Check out this blog post.

Quote:
The study, looking at six million mobile ad clicks across 10 different ad networks, showed 40 percent of mobile ad clicks are either accidental or fraudulent.

Not only did these paid-for clicks have no value, the conversion rate from click-to-download was less than 0.1 percent. Additional study revealed 18 percent were indicative of click fraud and 22 percent were accidental.

Many fraudulent clicks had traffic peaks at unusual times of day or a bulk of clicks coming from similar IP addresses. Some publishers also report clicks that never happened. The more complicated click fraud techniques include botnets, in which ďan army of...
Continued at: http://www.sitepronews.com/2012/09/2...fraud-on-rise/

Any thoughts on this?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-02-2012, 09:08 AM

Not strange people try to cheat the system, but it seems like it was done in a very amateurish fashion. I would guess the monitoring systems for click fraud today are sophisticated enough to detect this since click fraud isn't new in any way.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:22 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwebmasters View Post
Not strange people try to cheat the system, but it seems like it was done in a very amateurish fashion. I would guess the monitoring systems for click fraud today are sophisticated enough to detect this since click fraud isn't new in any way.
Of course this has been the case since ages. First fraud is invented and then the tracking system. I too think this won't survive long.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:31 PM
Contributing Member

I run a mobile site and got banned from one advertiser due to what the believe was fraudulent clicks.But believe or not,I didnt do anything but still had to pay the price.Not all anti-fraudulent click systems are fool proof

Old 11-30-2012, 09:53 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mywibes View Post
I run a mobile site and got banned from one advertiser due to what the believe was fraudulent clicks.But believe or not,I didnt do anything but still had to pay the price.Not all anti-fraudulent click systems are fool proof
This is quite a different scenario - I have a client who has the same problem. He's been using TrafficCake to ensure that the traffic he's buying is genuine and not fraudulent - i.e. bots.

He only allows the clean traffic onto his site and the rest of it he redirects away to a domain he doesn't care about.

So it's all clean good traffic, and he's able to scale his website quicker than organically. He's also getting a lot more clicks on the banners on his sites.

Here's the problem - although it's clean traffic it's not converting as quickly as his advertisers would like. They're paying a lot more money for not much bigger returns and are refusing to pay out. Their excuse fraud. It's a term often banded around and used by affiliate programmes not to pay out. It can also effectively mean - we don't want to pay out because it's costing us too much!

The best thing I can advise is to use a traffic auditing tool of your own so that you can prove the traffic is 100% genuine and that they've no reason to withhold payment (or ban you!)

Old 12-03-2012, 06:36 AM

this cant be stopped

Old 12-03-2012, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabanng View Post
this cant be stopped
Any feedback on the blog post I shared?

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue