Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 10-03-2012, 05:07 PM
Contributing Member

Question Are Printed Resources Still Valuable For Webmasters?

I was in an outet store today, was not really planning on buying anything...then I walked by the book section, the first book I see caught my eye...ended up buying two books!

Both were published in 2010, not much should be different though in comparision to techniques used today.

My questions I propose to the forum:

Are Printed Resources Still Valuable for Webmasters? Or is all the information we need can be found online? Are books no longer relevant to webmasters?

Much Thanks,

BiologyWebmaster

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-20-2012, 04:27 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Books are still relevant but I don't think bought that much in stores. These days you got the kindle to read stuff on.

People can easily buy a digital book online and read it rather then buying the book itself (going to store to buy). Although selling your book in stores is still a money maker but most webmasters just purchase things online as it is easier then leaving the house. Selling both in book stores and online would make the author more money as it's more ways of getting sales.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:26 AM
Administrator

I have a library of physical books. I usually go on a buying spree when I'm going on holidays so I can

a) catch up on techniques.
b) learn new stuff.
c) have something to read on beach.

I also got an ebook reader so I don't have to cart all my new books in my cases.

With the physical books I put PostIt flags c/w a note on sections/points of interest so I can find them again quickly when needed.

With the ebook reader I find it not so easy to "bookmark" stuff for reference later.

When I am looking for something I look through my physical books first. You can spend/waste hours looking for an answer on the net and unless you use your browser's bookmark/favorites function next time you need the info you have to go looking again.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:46 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
most webmasters just purchase things online as it is easier then leaving the house. Selling both in book stores and online would make the author more money as it's more ways of getting sales.
If I recall correctly I don't think I have ever purchased a book online, except a book on stamps.

Turns out the one book below I mentioned was written by bloggers, the authors amassed so much information on their blogs that they wrote a book about it. Pretty cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
I have a library of physical books.
So do I, still have my college textbooks, mostly reference books on my major courses...

Quote:
I also got an ebook reader so I don't have to cart all my new books in my cases
I don't have an ereader, but I can see your point in not having to carry all your books along with you during travel! Also, I have moved so many times; boxes containing my textbooks were always the heaviest...

Quote:
With the physical books I put PostIt flags c/w a note on sections/points of interest so I can find them again quickly when needed.
They sell handy post-its just for that purpose, you stick them to the end of pages and write on it, they stick-out like tabs on a folder...quite useful for reference!

Quote:
With the ebook reader I find it not so easy to "bookmark" stuff for reference later.
Yea I can imagine that, as I mentioned, I do not own an ereader, but I imagine they are not easy to bookmark or reference pages from.

Quote:
When I am looking for something I look through my physical books first.
Same here, that's what makes reference books so great, they are useful when you need to refer to them at any time. I do value my collection of textbooks, although I don't use them often they are still good to have around.

Quote:
You can spend/waste hours looking for an answer on the net and unless you use your browser's bookmark/favorites function next time you need the info you have to go looking again.
Answers on the net are not always so accurate, and now a days most anything on the net is one giant sales pitch, enticing you to buy something...as with books, once you buy the book its not most likely going to push you to buy anything else within its pages.

Much Thanks,

BiologyWebmaster

Old 10-22-2012, 12:21 AM

Take a look at Amazon...they have marketing (net) related books...
I also got a couple of Frontpage books....
Some of the vendors offer "used" books..
I bought a couple of those and they were actually new....cheap too...)

Old 10-24-2012, 07:08 PM

I use my Kindle for all those books, I rarely go out and buy this stuff in paperback, perhaps buy it online and use it as a PDF if I don't want to use it as an eBook on my Kindle.

Sometimes there are links and resources I want to check out from those websites and paperbacks don't let me click.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:14 AM
Banned

Today's word is online word and almost depends on internet. And i think who cares to buy books when all the stuff you need online available. Printed Resources Still Valuable to all, every people attract toward printed stuff instead of simple text.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:48 AM

Everything is available on the net but in a very cluttered way, at least books are well organized !!!

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web