Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue

Webmaster Revenue Discuss money making strategies, ideas to monetize your website or blog, tips and techniques to increase webmaster revenue, etc. This forum is NOT for promoting your own site or referral link.

Share |
Old 11-26-2012, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

I failed to make Mediworm understand what I was saying. I feel I owe it to the community to illustrate the point.

A hard coded ad can not be blocked by an ad blocker and to wit here is a sample page using the nofollow attribute: http://scriptmans.com/ Look at the banner at the bottom of the page. Crude but just made as an example.

While normally one would get in trouble for self promotion I feel this example is an exception. I sure hope Mama Cricket agrees.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 06:38 PM

Smile

Oh Thank You! SO nice of you!

Are you reffering to the one with the blue? COme VIsit V7n!

I got it!

You mean if we will create our own ads and banners then they will not be blocked with adblock but anything coming from the external sources such as google and adbrite and others will be blocked!

Right?

Old 11-27-2012, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

External will be stripped. Local ads loaded via JS may be also. I have not tested that.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:29 AM

I just wanted to report that i recently used the adblock, it blocks all the ads, even external links but literally without ads the website looks as it lacking something, It is missing the acid, the graphics the life!

I am sure I am not going to use it any more!

Old 12-05-2012, 04:55 PM

I have heard about 50k people per day are adding an ad blocker to their browser

Old 12-06-2012, 09:25 AM

i just dont like to useadblock as i am also a site owner hehehe

Old 12-06-2012, 11:04 PM

lol will ad block ruin our sites? What if 100% of people run an ad blocker, how are you going to make money from ads? You are not.

I am considering blocking people from my site who use ad blockers..

Old 01-07-2013, 01:28 PM

Tool for measuring percent of ad-blocked users

It's quite possible to accurately measure the percent of ad-blocked users that visit you website. ClarityRay offers a free service that measures ad-blocked impressions and has a proprietary solution that is able to serve ads to adblocked users.

Unfortunately today's tracking and analysis systems can't provide an accurate answer and as a result very few publishers know the extent of their losses and tend to underestimate the ad-blocking problem. Our proprietary method provides for a very high degree of accuracy; we have verified over 10 billion impressions for premium publishers and have gathered a number of key findings:

-On average, 9.26% of impressions were found to be ad-blocked, with some sites reaching as high as 50%

-Tech sites average at 17.79%, followed by news (15.58%) and culture (9.94%). Business, real estate and travel sites average lower

-Ad-blocking is higher in the US and EU: top countries are Austria (22.50%), Hungary (21.52%) and Germany (19.44%). Average in the US is 8.72%

-Firefox users account for 41% of blocked page impressions, followed by Chrome users at 32%. Safari contribues 16% of all blocked impressions and Internet Explorer contribues 11%.

-Linux users have a staggering 29.04% blocking rate, compared with 12.95% for Mac users, and 9.25% for Windows users.

Our findings show that ad-blocking is rapidly growing. Ad Block for Chrome has seen consistent yearly growth of over 100% and AdBlock Plus for Firefox was downloaded by more than 38 million users in 2012.

ClarityRay already works with some of the largest premium publishers in the world to measure and recover their ad inventory and has been featured in TechCrunch, Information Week, BBC, The Wall-Street Journal, Harvard Business Review, and Forbes.

Steven Slivnick
Business Development Manager, ClarityRay

Old 01-11-2013, 09:19 PM
Contributing Member

Back to the topic of "How many" (seeking a static number), you'll be hard-pressed to find that information, if nothing else because behavior can be so widely varied. (Someone might have an ad-blocker installed, but your site is white-listed by them, while another person might only be blocking your site, or whatever, so that alone would throw the statistics off [saying that xx% of people run an ad-blocker of some sort because of your own site]; but your local statistics don't necessarily mean crap - your site might be getting the only people in the world who block ads.) I'd personally take anything that says "We can prove exactly how many people block ads" with a large shaker of salt. That being said, statistically speaking, the number of people running some form of ad blocker is very, very small.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediworm View Post
Adblock, heard about it for the first time! WHat do you think, will this adblock will be harmful for webmasters?

I am putting a lot of energy in making my website to earn some $. and this little thing will ruin our efforts!

Please let me know in detail about it. Thank You!
Its a double edged sword. Some websites are crazy with adverts, popping up everywhere, asking you "Are you really sure you want to leave this special offer?" and like spam they have ruined it for all the normal reasonable users.

Thankfully I think most people who do use it are the sort of people who would never click on an advert anyway.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:54 AM

Ad-blocking measurement statistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGCustoms View Post
Back to the topic of "How many" (seeking a static number), you'll be hard-pressed to find that information, if nothing else because behavior can be so widely varied. (Someone might have an ad-blocker installed, but your site is white-listed by them, while another person might only be blocking your site, or whatever, so that alone would throw the statistics off [saying that xx% of people run an ad-blocker of some sort because of your own site]; but your local statistics don't necessarily mean crap - your site might be getting the only people in the world who block ads.) I'd personally take anything that says "We can prove exactly how many people block ads" with a large shaker of salt. That being said, statistically speaking, the number of people running some form of ad blocker is very, very small.
We did not just measure ad-blocking on our own site, which would indeed give skewed results. Our findings are based on a comprensive measurement survey that we conducted on a variety of leading sites located in a variety of countries and covering a number of different types of content, all of which were statistically adjusted to the entire population. In fact, the 9.26% figure for global blocking is likely conservative as our findings indicate that ad-blocking has been growing steadily since we conducted our initial sampling.

Steven Slivnick
Business Development Manager, ClarityRay

Old 01-24-2013, 08:40 AM

Adblock affect around 10% of impressions. Here is a study.
techcrunch.com/2012/05/18/clarityray-ad-blockers/

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue