Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 01-17-2013, 08:31 PM

So how do I get into this writing stuff?

Hello dear friends!

I would like to ask you for some advice. Now, first I must explain who I am.

I am a graduate school student at the University of Tel-Aviv, Israel. For a while, I was living a comfortable life - working as a freelance translator, doing some SEO work on the side, studying at the University. Life was good, really. Until one day, my main translation client skipped out on me with 2 months' works of pay. I didn't manage to track him down - or get a new translation job. Indeed, I spent several months just finding a new full-time job, and moved back in with my parents. I have only now found a full-time job (as a security guard).

I'm interested now at trying my hand in the writing field seriously - either writing SEO or, better yet, more expensive forms of content. I am confident in my ability in this field - I have previously worked for two SEO companies, and wrote articles that got published in print magazines. Unfortunately, I have few samples of my work available to me right now (except for some SEO stuff), so I'm clearly going to have to start from the simplest entry-level stuff.

Where do I go? How do I wriggle myself into a content-writing job?

I would vastly prefer anything that involves regular work. I would prefer copywriting/ad-writing to SEO article writing, it seems more fun and probably pays a bit more, but I'd take either.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

I'm not a good writer but I can point you in a direction till someone else has better advice.

Since you know what niche you are good at writing on, just focus hard on this one niche.

Why don't you search some freelance type websites taking on some jobs and even looking for a full time writing job for a online company.

Example to look for some jobs is on:

http://www.freelancer.com/
http://www.freelancewritinggigs.com/
https://www.elance.com/

Do you have a blog or a website where you can showcase some of your talents in the writing field? I know when looking for a online job, reference's, past work is what could get you the job or not.

List your experiences, flexible with salary or money per article...etc

Old 01-23-2013, 01:50 PM

Read, read and read. More you read better your writting will be. Therre are also excellent blogs on copywriting like copyblegger you can pick up a lot there.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:53 PM

Hi there,
Have you tried Odesk, Elance and their similar websites? Give them a try, then you can start your own freelance website, i mean a sort of an online agency where you offer your services : Translation, proofreading, content writing, basic or advanced search engines optimization, webdesigning...
You'll need a website with a portfolio of your works and a contact form to start your own business and of course, success comes with time and experience.

Good Luck

Old 01-29-2013, 03:15 PM
Contributing Member

Odesk is the site most Israelis use since it actually has an office in Israel. You won't make much initially and you'll be competing with people who charge about a shekel for 100 words. But if you limit yourself to clients who are willing to pay for high quality, you can build up a network of clients to work with outside of the Odesk platform. I personally charge a minimum of the equivalent of about 1NIS a word for content, depending on the research time involved.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:19 PM
Contributing Member

Forgot one thing: There's also a CraigsList in Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, and in Haifa where you can place a free ad, looking for freelance writing work.

You might also just send an email to Israeli SEO firms, introducing yourself as a content writer looking for assignments.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

Make sure you know your client's needs. Always be well informed of competitor's content and I'd start with doing similar things they do for starters. After you get the feel of things, continuously immerse yourself with like-minded writers in your field. Best of luck.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:22 AM

If you"re looking for low paying writing projects try those freelancing sites. But if you really want to test your writing skills and get paid a whole lot more, try writing for Constant Content. They have clients there who are willing to pay more than $100 per article. Not all of the clients do so, but there are some. You should know that the editors at CC are really strict when it comes to spelling, grammar, sentence construction etc etc. Try out your writing skills there and you may just be able to find regular clients.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:32 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamidz View Post
Hi there,
Have you tried Odesk, Elance and their similar websites? Give them a try, then you can start your own freelance website, i mean a sort of an online agency where you offer your services : Translation, proofreading, content writing, basic or advanced search engines optimization, webdesigning...
You'll need a website with a portfolio of your works and a contact form to start your own business and of course, success comes with time and experience.

Good Luck
I like the online agency idea, but Elance and ODesk are pretty poor spots for quality writing gigs. You get the unrealistic types who want perfect 1,000 word article for $1.

My favorite places for writing are:

http://www.freelancewritinggigs.com/.../writing-gigs/
http://jobs.problogger.net/

Hope that helps

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web