Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 10-01-2013, 09:56 AM
Contributing Member

How frequently we should change the page content?

First, I would apologize if any moderator doesn't find it good to post my query here. Actually, I have spent a lot of time to address this concern but was not able to find any satisfactory answer.

My question is, all SEO experts say that google always looks for fresher contents. So how frequently we need to change our web content to get good sympathy from google?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-01-2013, 03:15 PM
v7n Mentor

You don't need to change your content if it's unique and useful to the user. If a landing page is ranking well, gets good traffic, has a low bounce rate, and otherwise works for your user and you, Google doesn't care if you never change the content. And why would you? Don't fix what isn't broken, right?

If you have a blog, then ideally you add content daily. I can't keep up that sort of schedule, but the sites which have fresh, quality content added on a frequent basis do very well.

It's all relative, too. For example, I have a client who blogs about once a week, and shares socially and gets decent traffic. His site continues to climb in the SERPs against sites that have far more links and domain age. But they aren't adding relevant, quality content ever and he is.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:30 PM
Administrator

I would agree with what mjtaylor said and would like to add:

Quote:
all SEO experts say that google always looks for fresher contents
But... if your site is not crawled regularly your new content may not appear immediately. Once however, Google gets the idea that you are updating regularly it is possible to get your new content indexed within minutes.

You didn't say if you are talking about an actual website or blog (some refer to their blog as a website).

For a website if you add any new stuff added to the site either through an announcement on the home page or link in the navigation that will help the search bots discover the new page. That would also freshen up the content.

For a blog, they are generally set up that the most recent posts are included in the front page. Also, if your blog is using Wordpress and your developer has not messed with the ping section, Wordpress automatically pings some blog directories which helps with discovery.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
I would agree with what mjtaylor said and would like to add:

But... if your site is not crawled regularly your new content may not appear immediately. Once however, Google gets the idea that you are updating regularly it is possible to get your new content indexed within minutes.
Quick indexing doesn't mean good ranking. Regular udating is good as far as the content is good. I think it's not the matter of frequency, it's about the quality.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:29 AM
Contributing Member

Our main concern is that our product comes in 4-5 ranking in google search. So if we recreate the content with the help of some good content writers, will it help to move our ranking up?

Old 10-02-2013, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

If you don't update your blog that much each week, you might lose your subscriber's as they think you isn't really doing much on the blog each week. I like to just update the blog 4 to 5 times a week with blog posts so people know I'm still alive.

If my rankings improve along the way then that is great but I focus on fresh content weekly.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

I am extremely sorry for the confusion. My query is while dealing with commercial websites not blogs.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:07 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by denorlinen View Post
I am extremely sorry for the confusion. My query is while dealing with commercial websites not blogs.

All told, I don't believe it matters whether it's a blog or not - the point is: adding content can be useful, but changing content on a page just to be "fresh" is not necessary - especially if the page is ranked well and converting.

If the page is not working well, then it's not about *fresh* content, but about the quality of the content and perhaps other on page and off page factors. But it's not about whether the page was recently updated.

Adding new pages with new content can be useful ... Google does seem to favor a site that is increasing in quality content, whether those pages are blog posts or other new pages.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Our main concern is that our product comes in 4-5 ranking in google search. So if we recreate the content with the help of some good content writers, will it help to move our ranking up?
In 4th to 5th spot is pretty good! Who is in spots 1-3? (you don't have to be specific. Is it Amazon or Ebay above you? or a Competitor?)

I once read (sorry don't remember where) that spot 10 is also good because people see your listing as they consider clicking to move to the next page of the results.

There are lots of things that determine where you land in the results. Good content is only one factor. That being said, good content is important as people will start to share your page(s) for you. Promotion for free! And the best type of promotion is a referral "oh natural".

Old 10-02-2013, 10:35 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post

I once read (sorry don't remember where) that spot 10 is also good because people see your listing as they consider clicking to move to the next page of the results.
Actually I recently read that the 10th spot gets more targeted traffic because if people have gotten that far without finding what they want they are interested enough to persevere. I can't find that reference either, sorry.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:49 AM
Banned

Regularly updating the site makes the google to crawl it frequently. Google loves the fresher content and yes it will promote but be sure to be original.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:28 AM
Contributing Member

Very contradictory. In this same thread, both kind of suggestions.
1- If page is doing well, we should not change.
2- Google loves the fresher content.

What's right, what's wrong?

Old 10-03-2013, 11:51 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Very contradictory. In this same thread, both kind of suggestions.
1- If page is doing well, we should not change.
2- Google loves the fresher content.

What's right, what's wrong?
Actually, I don;t think those are contradictory at all. "The page is doing well, don't change the page" doesn't mean you shouldn't be adding fresh content elsewhere on the site. It just means you don't mess with what is working. By all means add content, Google loves new content and new pages (if the content is of good quality, of course) but the point is, you probably don't need fresh content on a page that is already in the top 5.

But let's assume for a moment that there is conflicting advice. Consider the sources.

I'm not saying that a new member might know more than a moderator with a long string of green rep ... but that rep comes from the respect of other members, and until someone has been around a while, they won't have proven themselves with a slew of posts that inspired people to add rep.

And note that the two moderators who first answered your questions are not in disagreement. The third moderator seems to be saying adding fresh content is important, and he's talking about his blog. I would agree; if you have a blog, add to it as often as is feasible.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:37 PM
Contributing Member

Thank you MJ. You have been a wonderful moderator. Thank you so much for making everything clear.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:56 AM
v7n Mentor

Red face

I would blush if I knew how. I am very glad to help.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web