Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 03-03-2014, 03:08 PM
Contributing Member

Original content for my forum

I manage a webmaster-related forum and I see most people are posting junk, nothing original, it`s like people have no ideas, everything they do is to show off their signature. They call themselves EXPERTS, and pose dumb questions.
I even started a contest with a money prize, plus advertisement, what should i do to attract people in this ? Thank you!

Last edited by webcosmo; 03-03-2014 at 03:11 PM.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014, 04:05 PM

It is one of those things to manage a forum, as it requires time, money and energy to be consistent to make it user friendly. I have participated in a lot of forums during many years of being online. Although never managed one for myself (as you know, it is basically a full time job and requires utmost consistency).

Your forum is webmaster and search engine optimization related, due to this being the case, you know full well that those who sign up to your forums on average do so for back-linking purposes, or pose really stupid questions that as soon as you read it you know that the question is actually not a question that the thread creator wants an answer for, but rather, others answer the silly question and thus thread creator gets a backlink.

How do you deal with that? Well your own experience will tell you that you simply must have strict rules and consistently remind your members to be constructive (bot in terms of question being posed, but also the replies) you could have no 1 sentence reply policy, you could remind them to explain bit more (like the mentors at v7n forums always do this)

Your idea to have prices and rewards are great (keep that up (that is something I would be interested and is enticing))

There is one major flaw in your signature links policy (and I can assure that you are actually losing alot of website traffic as a result) what is the flaw? You allow your members to have 10 backlinks in their signature links? Why? the maximum should be 2 (no more than that) or else is just a spam because no where on internet would Google see such linking behavior. Change your policy, and also don't think that you will lose members as a result (in fact, if you do, then you can bet your a## that you will lose forum spammers which actually will work in your favor anyway.

So the golden rule remains, always be consistent, ask your members to help you grow their community (have how to sections or at least link out to others that do) keep your ears in the pulse of your online field (web technology changes, latest news from Google, Social Media marketing, Search Engine optimization) and many others.
These are my thoughts;

Old 03-04-2014, 04:00 PM
Contributing Member

Thank you, as a matter of fact, there were others telling me i shouldn`t allow more than 2 links in signature

Old 03-08-2014, 12:29 AM
Contributing Member

if you are providing quality content then you'll realize that your audience is also in need and sale of quality content ... as we often see good quality websites so there only quality content can be posted not junk ...

Old 03-08-2014, 08:23 AM
Contributing Member

I would make sure to enforce any rules about posting just to get links for signature. Remove any comments or post that arejust trying to get more links.

You could limit amount of post or comments and write articles and ask people to suggest any new ideas to them.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:54 AM
Contributing Member

Have you asked this question on your own forum?

I just checked your forum, read a few posts...
Seems like someone asks a question that they should've read from the stickies... and then 10 people give the same answer verbatim.

I think you're going to have to raise the bar... and not allow all of the easy posts.

13,000 Members in Forum... and how many of those are spam sign-ups?

Read the posts on this forum... there's a lot of post deletions, and requests for someone to elaborate on the short post they made...

I can't tell that it does any good... but... many of those people that post those short unsatisfying posts are soon banned... pretty sure that helps... even if they do turn around and sign up again...

Lotta people out there... who just want to do the minimum necessary to accomplish short-term goals.... which doesn't help the forum... or ultimately themselves...

Edit:
I'm trying to make sense of your contest....
"one of the sub-forums" Which subforums? Introductions? General Talk?
Might be better to list the acceptable forums... Or at least give a better description of just what is desired...

Last edited by stone; 03-08-2014 at 11:02 AM.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:44 AM
Contributing Member

You have the ability to review posts before submitting, but it will need more efforts.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:14 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deryaSavas View Post
It is one of those things to manage a forum, as it requires time, money and energy to be consistent to make it user friendly. I have participated in a lot of forums during many years of being online. Although never managed one for myself (as you know, it is basically a full time job and requires utmost consistency).

Your forum is webmaster and search engine optimization related, due to this being the case, you know full well that those who sign up to your forums on average do so for back-linking purposes, or pose really stupid questions that as soon as you read it you know that the question is actually not a question that the thread creator wants an answer for, but rather, others answer the silly question and thus thread creator gets a backlink.

How do you deal with that? Well your own experience will tell you that you simply must have strict rules and consistently remind your members to be constructive (bot in terms of question being posed, but also the replies) you could have no 1 sentence reply policy, you could remind them to explain bit more (like the mentors at v7n forums always do this)

Your idea to have prices and rewards are great (keep that up (that is something I would be interested and is enticing))

There is one major flaw in your signature links policy (and I can assure that you are actually losing alot of website traffic as a result) what is the flaw? You allow your members to have 10 backlinks in their signature links? Why? the maximum should be 2 (no more than that) or else is just a spam because no where on internet would Google see such linking behavior. Change your policy, and also don't think that you will lose members as a result (in fact, if you do, then you can bet your a## that you will lose forum spammers which actually will work in your favor anyway.

So the golden rule remains, always be consistent, ask your members to help you grow their community (have how to sections or at least link out to others that do) keep your ears in the pulse of your online field (web technology changes, latest news from Google, Social Media marketing, Search Engine optimization) and many others.
These are my thoughts;

100% Agreed with this.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web