Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

Share |
Old 10-25-2014, 12:04 PM

Looking For Script To Add Comments To New Website

Howdy Ya'll . . .

I hope that this is the right place for my question. If it is not, please forgive my ignorance as I am a new user here and I am looking for some expert advice/suggestions/help with my new website.

I am pretty much self-taught when it comes to putting together a website with html and css and I am still in the learning process, but when it comes to PHP or other script langues (is that is the right word) I am a complete idiot and nothing little to nothing about it.

I have a new website at pickmysmoker dot com and I would like to be able to add a simple comment box in the sidebar, but I cannot find anything that I can get to work for me. I have tried several free scripts (no budget for this) and for some reason none of them seem to want to work. Also, I would like to be able to have CAPTCHA verification so I don't get slammed with all the spam that is floating around on the Interweb.

Can anyone here help me out with this?

Does anyone know of a free comments script that an idiot can change around to fit the sidebar of my new website?

Is there anyone here willing to help me get one of the free scripts working on my website?

Thanks in advance . . .

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-25-2014, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Not really. There are a lot of examples out there.

For what it it is worth to you, I spent a lot of time incorporating a comment section into one of my sites and out of 400 posts the only one worth keeping was from a fellow mod here at V7. My reply would be don't waste you time unless want to look at a lot ****** and drug ads.

Old 10-25-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
Not really. There are a lot of examples out there.

For what it it is worth to you, I spent a lot of time incorporating a comment section into one of my sites and out of 400 posts the only one worth keeping was from a fellow mod here at V7. My reply would be don't waste you time unless want to look at a lot ****** and drug ads.
Thanks for the input, but I was/am under the impression that by incorporating a CAPTCHA kind of thing into the comment process will help reduce all the spam and crap that goes along with having any kind of user submitted form.

Maybe I am wrong about this?

Old 10-26-2014, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator

A CAPTCHA will slow down the bot posts but will not stop a human.

Low paid humans simply post this stuff via copy and paste, answer the captcha question and move on to the next site.

It takes some very sophisticated filters filter the post and get it right part of the time. A WordPress site can use http://akismet.com/

Old 10-26-2014, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the input again. I think I am still going to risk it for a while and see what happens.

I finally found a script that I can get working, but I don't like the way the posted comments looks on the page. So now I need to try to figure out how to style the way the posted comments show on the page.

I decided on using Comments script from Scripts Mill. I have gone looking for a style sheet, but cannot find one anywhere in the script folders.

So my question now is, how exactly does one "style" php with no style sheet?

Old 10-26-2014, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Que View Post

So my question now is, how exactly does one "style" php with no style sheet?
Always best to use a style sheet. One of us might be able to help you with that.

To answer your question, you can:
A.) Drop into and out of PHP and write straight HTML
B.) Use the echo command to place the HTML

Here is an example of B. Note that it does use a style sheet previously referenced in the script.

PHP Code:
    echo "<li><strong><a class=nav-link href='./'>Home</a></strong></li><br /><br />"
Note that when using the echo command all " in the HTML must be converted to ' or you will get a parse error.

I am compelled to tell you that serious programmers always keep the code and HTML separated using a language file and variables. I obviously am not one of those people.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:50 PM

Thanks again Scriptman for your input, but I think the problem with this script is going to be much more complicated that I originally thought.

It seems that when a comment is posted, the script generates and plug the styling code directly into the page. I have tried pulling the styling code and making it part of the page and when I do that, the script no longer posts comments.

So I guess now my problem is how and where might I go looking to find out how this is being done and what I can do to change it so that I can incorporate changes I need to make in order for it to look and work right on my site?

Cheers . . .

Old 10-27-2014, 03:58 AM

go to setting and than search comments guys

Old 10-27-2014, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Que View Post

It seems that when a comment is posted, the script generates and plug the styling code directly into the page. I have tried pulling the styling code and making it part of the page and when I do that, the script no longer posts comments.

Cheers . . .
The script uses a template method in the preferred style I mentioned above. All the HTML is styled and generated from the /templates/default.php file. Make a backup copy of that file before you start modifying it.

Print and echo perform the same basic function. This script is written using the newer short tags and not in the style of the example I mentioned above. Line 6 of that file starts the CSS style and it ends on line 39.

The script appears to use an api key from Akismet and they may charge for that so it may not be 100% free to use.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
The script uses a template method in the preferred style I mentioned above. All the HTML is styled and generated from the /templates/default.php file. Make a backup copy of that file before you start modifying it.

Print and echo perform the same basic function. This script is written using the newer short tags and not in the style of the example I mentioned above. Line 6 of that file starts the CSS style and it ends on line 39.

The script appears to use an api key from Akismet and they may charge for that so it may not be 100% free to use.
Scriptman . . . you are the man!

I found the file and modified it to pretty much suit my needs and now things are working and pretty much looking the way I wanted. I think I still need to tweek it a bit as far as appearance goes, but all is good now.

Based on results today, I guess this matter can be considered closed/resolved.

Again, thanks so much for patience with me and all your assistance with this.

Cheers . . .

Old 10-27-2014, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

You are welcome.

I do hope you will stick around and enjoy V7

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum