Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 03-02-2015, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Thin Content; What It is and Why Google Hates It?

When ever someone says they have ranking problems the stock answer is "you need quality content". Well that is not very helpful when those that reply that way don't help the person out with what is quality content.

They are referring to thin content which the search engines do not like.
Quote:
Google has generously shed some light on this matter: thin content generally means web pages with very little or no value. In other words, thin content fails to ensure a positive user experience and doesn’t make your readers richer or wiser in any way. This type of low-quality page can be separated into several categories:

•Thin affiliate web pages
•Doorway pages
•Pages comprising content “borrowed” from other online sources (low-quality guest post pages or scraped content)
•Pages displaying automatically-generated content

When it comes to developing, growing and optimizing your website, you have to follow one simple rule. Don’t turn your web content into a pile of mouthwatering bamboo that Google’s Panda would gladly eat.
Thin Content; What It is and Why Google Hates It?

Read the whole article to learn how you can improve your thin content.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-11-2015, 06:47 AM
Banned

yes your post must have more than 300 words of good written content with proper formatting and line brakes

Old 03-11-2015, 09:57 AM

Yeah it's basically proven that long extensive posts will always outrank pages with less than 500 words for instance. Brian Dean has a good post on that on his blog, and he knows what he's talking about.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:24 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
These three examples illustrate the fact that Google is not the biggest fan of brevity, especially when this economy of language is an indicator of a lack of substance
I'm more than a little concerned about this. I'm currently working on a site whose theme is a hobby of mine. As I read about the topic, I add entries, as I read a little more I expand those entries. When I add information I note the book that I get it from and I'm on planning on linking that citation to Amazon where a reader can purchase the book if they like.

So, in a nutshell, generally "brief" content plus an affiliate link. My plan was to "no index" all of my pages by default and only remove the "no index" when I felt the content on a given page had reached a certain level.

Do you think that's sufficient to keep me clear of any google/panda penalties? Do I need to hold off on linking the books/citations to Amazon until the page has reached a certain level of content as well?

Billy

Old 03-26-2015, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

The problem is that I still see people resorting to this tactic. Even the ones that supposed to know what good content really is. For example, there's a content creation service, called [removed] and they post daily. Usually their posts consist of some regurgotated news, without any added value.

And you know what - it works for them: since they post often, they often show up in content agregators, like Feedly, where some people go just to fill up their Twitter feed with fresh posts. Since their posts show up often, they get shared a lot. Again, the quality of the content in terms of writing is good. But no real added value, which is really sad. What could Google possibly do about practices like these?

Old 03-27-2015, 05:13 PM

Well it made ton's of sense, thanks for clearing it out

Old 04-04-2015, 04:34 AM
Banned

thin content is not only about the amount of content but the focus is on quality as well. Things you should keep in mind while creating content are:
do not copy and paste the content rather use original one
check your content
use related terms rather than using keywords only
use keyword research tools
follow analytics

Old 04-05-2015, 04:41 AM
Contributing Member

We all know content is king. If we only look for content only for number then these website will be a food for hungry google panda. Long tail content make a site more reliable to a visitor as well as to search engine, it also help you to bring more money.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:01 PM
Contributing Member

Spinned content and content with low details is what search engine bots hate about

Old 04-13-2015, 06:32 AM
Contributing Member

Not only Google or other searching systems don't like thin content. No one does. If one decided to make a site he should create or buy good decent content. The article is helpful and interesting.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:15 AM

I have been experimenting with Proof keywords and content. Lets just say that the quality they signal to Google really works.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:36 AM
Contributing Member

This Article very helpful for me and i also doing or have done many mistakes regarding thin content but now i come to know whats the reason behind all the low ranking so now i will try to improve my content quality and thanks for sharing such informative post

Old 06-29-2015, 05:24 AM

Yes offcourse, a long and good qulaity content makes sense and is liked by viewers. Providing insufficient information or bad qulaity content is hated by search engines.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:07 AM
Contributing Member

I think that the ideal number of words is about 800. It's not good for an article to be too long, either. But I agree that the content, no matter how long it is, need to be filled with relevant information. So basically, when you write about something, you need to expand every checkpoint you write about - be detailed and informative.

Old 07-11-2015, 05:26 AM
Contributing Member

Nice article, obviously thin content is not good for a site, but creating quality content everyday either does not work in today's life, as large amount of content is published everyday. There is need of marketing the content at appropriate place and to appropriate people.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:40 PM
Contributing Member

I guess the audience matters, if you write for your audience and answer all questions they have about a topic, that would be a good start.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web