Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue

Webmaster Revenue Discuss money making strategies, ideas to monetize your website or blog, tips and techniques to increase webmaster revenue, etc. This forum is NOT for promoting your own site or referral link.

Share |
Old 11-09-2003, 01:46 AM

Self-employment advice?

I've been very tempted throughout this year to go try some self-employed work - developing and marketing websites. My intended market is going to be small local businesses.

I'm still not sure if I'll attempt it to any degree - there are a lot of uncertainties in my life at the moment which have kept me from making any certain decisions.

I'm already aware of basic issues of self-employment such as taxes, VAT, etc - and am not looking to throw myself in as full-time until I've tested the markets first as a form of supplementary income.

I've already got some good commentaries on local marketing, but I'm open to any specific comments and tips on the issue of website design, development, and SEO - especially other people's experiences that I can learn from.

I'm especially interested as to the frequency of work in this field. For example, do you change many clients a little to form your business, or simply a few clients a lot?

Curious for input. Happy to take private comments as private if anyone wishes to avoid public comment.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-09-2003, 04:24 PM

See, one thing you can always do if you don't have real clients is to work on affiliate sites of your own.
Personally, I don't work with clients at all, because I do my own affiliate sites, adn try to make money with that. But, I also have thought about moving into the SEO industry, and potentially working with clients. The reason that is good is that once you have a client, he'll pay you for your work, while when you work on your own affiliate sites, you only get paid for as many required actions that you refer. But, that can be very lucrative.
I think that it's important to first promote some of you own sites into top positions, to be able to show potential clients later that you know what you are doing. You can then tell them that you own site abc.com and that it's highly ranked for keyword suchandsuch.

Hope this helps.

Also, being self-employed can be pretty frustrating sometimes, especially when you work on promoting your sites all day, but google only updates about once a month. A month can then be a very long time.

Old 11-10-2003, 09:25 AM
Contributing Member

YES I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THE ABOVE!

I had my site opened about 2 weeks ago, its got a number one place in goolgle for "pc clever" and "pc-clever" ...... but ............

The description is a months old ..... "Sorry we are currently in the process of launching our site, please come back later" !

I think they may have updated it, but just take in mind that the above got no clicks because of that!

I think all links on IMR are indexed by google, i was wondering HOw come i got a number 1 spot, if i didnt even submit!

Old 11-10-2003, 09:27 AM
Contributing Member

THAT SO SUCKS!

Forget about the site coming soon part ..... its worse!

They have only last updated when i had the holding page up, which contained nothing!

Old 11-10-2003, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc-clever
YES I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THE ABOVE!

I had my site opened about 2 weeks ago, its got a number one place in goolgle for "pc clever" and "pc-clever" ...... but ............

The description is a months old ..... "Sorry we are currently in the process of launching our site, please come back later" !

I think they may have updated it, but just take in mind that the above got no clicks because of that!

I think all links on IMR are indexed by google, i was wondering HOw come i got a number 1 spot, if i didnt even submit!
Ok, this shouldn't be in this thread because this thread is about the business, but: you got the number 1 listing because not many people, if any optimize for your keyword. Also, I think that your keyword also doesn't send you any clicks because nobody really searches for that.
Also, you don't have to submit to google, to be indexed by them. I have never submitted a site to google, yet all my sites are in their directory. They will index your site, even if not submitted. The more links you got to your page, the faster they will index it, and the more often they will update your page listing.

Old 11-16-2003, 08:38 PM
v7n Mentor

Re: Self-employment advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I, Brian

I'm especially interested as to the frequency of work in this field. For example, do you change many clients a little to form your business, or simply a few clients a lot?
I wouldn't approach it that way or you're likely to get tunnel vision and miss potential sales. I view every storefront in the area a potential client at some level.

For the stronger businesses with a larger budget we create custom proposals, targeted at thier business specifically.

You can arrange smaller packages that take less time for those "I really want a site but have very little money" clients. Offer a set number of pages and features that you know you can turn out quickly. We spend lull time creating templates just for this, then offer the "budget" client choice of tempaltes.

Then just pound the street and sell, sell, sell, sell, sell, sell. This is the method we use and we're doing about two big clients and three to four smaller per month part time.

Also, make sure you work in those reccurring fees. That's where you build your base!

Old 11-21-2003, 03:06 AM

<spam>

Old 11-21-2003, 08:57 AM
v7n Mentor

Great I was wondering this too.

My business advisor also suggested to target a specific type of small company. - such as restaurants and cafes.

I am going to set up a few web sites promoting my business - each targeted at different sectors of my market.

Old 11-21-2003, 06:57 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyJim
I am going to set up a few web sites promoting my business - each targeted at different sectors of my market.
That's a good idea. You might also take the time to do some research on the various industries you hope to serve. It helps to be able to talk shop with the potential client and will really help when writing custom proposals.

Never discount a business. Since October we've done or are currently doing work for lawyer, a church-sponsored children's music program, and a tattoo parlor. Diversity keeps you working and the money all spends the same. I think your line of thinking is on track. Good luck!

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue