Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue

Webmaster Revenue Discuss money making strategies, ideas to monetize your website or blog, tips and techniques to increase webmaster revenue, etc. This forum is NOT for promoting your own site or referral link.

Share |
Old 12-13-2003, 10:09 PM

Most important part of any business.

Hi,
i believe the most important part of any business is to have the dream and to have the dream of where you are heading in concrete. What other crucial points make a successful business ?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-13-2003, 10:14 PM
v7n Mentor

sanity.

Old 12-13-2003, 11:10 PM
Individualist

A solid branding strategy.

Old 12-14-2003, 06:56 AM

I don't think that branding, especially with internet businesses is that important. Or at least, not for all types of businesses. Online, many times, a branding strategy is almost unnecessary. For example, I do affiliate marketing, selling other people's stuff through affiliate links. I really don't need a branding strategy because that would be way too expensive. What I need is good rankings in the searchengines and a pretty good sales copy. But, branding would help me, but the costs would outweigh the benefits.

I'm not saying that you are wrong by saying that a solid branding strategy is needed. I think it is, but not for all types of businesses. Would I try to build a huge site, like autotrader or monster.com, then, a solid branding strategy is definitely needed, just like for any real-world businesses.

I think that the most important thing for a successful business is to have a dream that drives you, but also be realistic enough to figure out if your business plan has any chance of success.

Old 12-14-2003, 11:38 PM

I believe that the most important point of having a business is passion, committment and integrity.

To have a *successful* business, it takes outstanding work, super service and the ability to take the hand of the prospective client and teach them what they need to be taught...

those who learn from you will most likely buy from you. A good point to file away!

Old 12-14-2003, 11:53 PM
Individualist

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgi82
I don't think that branding, especially with internet businesses is that important.
Brand is especially important on the Internet. The Internet has serious trust issues. Many people equate online businesses with scams. Talk is cheap, but HTML is cheaper. People walk walk into a store, look the salesperson in the eye and make a judgment about whether to trust the people they are dealing with. On the Internet, they may send money and see nothing in return. Even if the do get the product they purchased, will the dot com be around in 6 months, twelve months or two years from now?

Consumers are aware of all the scams on the Internet, and they often look to brand to seperate the here-today-gone-tomorrow from the real businesses.

Amazon knew this. This is why Jeff Bezos did not worry about profits for the first several years. He knows that if he builds a brand, he has the biggest advantage.

In the end, brand is credibility, and credibility is scarce on the Internet. Once you have credibility established, you can charge whatever you want for your products/services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgi82
Online, many times, a branding strategy is almost unnecessary. For example, I do affiliate marketing, selling other people's stuff through affiliate links.
True. But that is hardly a business - you're not selling anything, just sending traffic here or there.

Old 12-15-2003, 04:53 AM

Ok, I think that you do have a good point. But, I think that we understand the term Business a little different. I think that a business is everything that is there to make money.
Amazon is a business, but affiliate sites are also businesses in my opinion.
For, people that sell stuff, you are right: brand is important. For affiliate marketers: brand is not really important.
But, I still think that affiliate marketing is also a businesses because if it were that easy, everybody would be doing it successfully, which is definitely not true.

Old 12-15-2003, 06:00 AM
Individualist

Good points - some affiliate marketing can be highly profitable.

Old 12-15-2003, 08:52 AM

Yes, definitely, especially because affiliate marketers don't have to deliver a product, or anything. No shipping costs, no customer service costs, no real costs at all, except hosting, a domain, and either your time, or money for advertising.

Old 12-26-2003, 11:54 AM

erm the most important part is the customer.

Identity is too.. Amazon go this right early on

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue